Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beauty and the Beast:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_7T3
Earlier today @Robarabian and I set out to Malibu to settle once and for all which 914 platform is best: stock versus conversion in an all out head to head road test comparison.

So follow along to see what we are working with and you may be shocked at the results….

Testing Grounds

Mulholland Hwy to Decker Canyon down to PCH. PCH to Malibu Canyon, Piuma to Scheuren & Stunt and back to the 101 Fwy.

Meet the contenders:

1974 914 Porscharoo

Renegade Subaru WRX 2.0 Turbo conversion
Upgraded STI Turbocharger and Injectors
Air to Water Intercooler
289 HP, 248 Ft. Lbs. Torque
911 SC Front suspension and brakes
901 Transmission with upgraded CV’s and axles
Rennshift shifter
5 Lug 15 inch Fuchs with 205’s front, 225’s rear

Click to view attachment

1973 Stock 2.0 Porsche 914

Bone Stock 2.0 VW Air Cooled Type 4
94mm Kolben Schmidt Piston & Cylinders with new Bosch Injectors
91 HP, 1971 cc
Stock Suspension with Koni Adjustable Sport Shocks & Turbo Tie Rods
901 Transmission with NOS Lobro CV’s and axles
Stock shifter
4 Lug 15 inch Fuchs with 195’s on all corners

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
Appearance:

You can’t help but notice the stunning look of the 1974 Porscharoo in its vibrant Olympic Blue and sharp contrast of the Orange Gulf Livery. The Targa top is smooth in a black gloss finish. Combined with the black 5 Lug Fuchs and custom front valence, the Porscharoo is an absolute stunner!

Rating 9/10

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Next up the 1973 2.0 is sporting a fresh bare metal repaint in its original Marathon Blue Metallic. The metallic blue looks awesome in the bright Southern Cali sunshine and really highlights the stock look. The absence of the targa top is perfect for today’s 66 degree and sunny day.

Rating 9/10

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
Performance Test

Acceleration:

The Porscharoo was an absolute beast pulling up and over the hills and through the canyons. It performed well in the slalom as well snaking around Priuses on PCH. However, the STI turbo showed what it was made of in outright passing of a Ferrari on PCH!

Rating 9/10

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The stock 2.0 performed admirably in attempting to keep up and was at its best in the slalom. Let’s face it, Priuses barely move in a forward motion anyway so it seemed like a rocket. The 2.0 pulled strong and worked well with 199 Hp less. Style points count for a lot here so therefore:

Rating 9/10

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
Cornering and Overall Handling

The Porscharoo with wider tires and upgraded suspension was great through the canyons and had plenty of traction.

Rating: You guessed it 9/10

Click to view attachment

The stock 2.0 with perfect weight distribution had plenty of grip and was like Velcro in the twisties.

Rating: Amazingly another 9/10

Click to view attachment

914_7T3
Final Results

This road test comparison finished in a Tie! Both cars performed flawlessly in their native habitat with precision and grace on a perfect California Day. The extra performance offered by the 1974 Porscharoo was balanced out by the stock originality of the time warp 1973 2.0. We emerged without a clear winner and decided to attempt this again in the near future.

Stay Tuned for the Results!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Editor's Note: The 911 SC could not be included in this comparison due to its oddly configured engine location design.
Robarabian
Fun day today. Christmas Miracle. Good times. I knew it was gonna be a tie before we left the gas station!! evilgrin.gif
Jamie
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Dec 25 2020, 06:07 PM) *

Fun day today. Christmas Miracle. Good times. I knew it was gonna be a tie before we left the gas station!! evilgrin.gif

This is an invalid apples and oranges comparison, so the only value is that it sounds like a good time was had by all! piratenanner.gif
iankarr
When you guys post pics of your beautiful cars in the southern California sunshine, we're all winners. BTW, I give the idea for this post a 9/10.
Cairo94507
@914_7T3 & @Robarabian - What a great day and cool post. Maybe the next time you decide to do this you would consider adding a 6 to the mix? Thanks for posting the pics, two beautiful cars. beerchug.gif
gonzo54
Jeffrey @914_7T3 Great pictures! Christmas Day and probably lighter traffic. Time for another So Cal drive!

Thanks
StarBear
Fabulous. And a great time was had by all! Thanks for sharing; two of my most favorite colors, too!
Tdskip
Well done!
Root_Werks
What a great way to spend the day.
MM1
Good stuff, Gents!

Glad to see you got the Porscharoo back Rob . . .and that it passed the tests!
ValcoOscar
Awesome stuff...

Maybe next drive I'll have Chucky ready.

Most likely next year av-943.gif

Oscar

Montreal914
Nice test drive!! driving.gif
Jeffrey, your engine is actually a 1971cc, not 1911 per your description. shades.gif
That on its own is extra moped power! biggrin.gif
pete000
Typical crappy weather and crappy roads in So Cal....
bbrock
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Dec 25 2020, 07:07 PM) *

Sounds like a confession this contest was rigged by illegal early voting. av-943.gif
second wind
Please let me say this....I saw the 2.0 at the gas station and boy oh boy it looks so correct that I need to get some elbow grease for my car....a clean 914 like that one really looks like new and is absolutely a fine Porsche...no questions about it....catching up is going to take some hours.....
All the best,
gg
DRPHIL914

this is so much fun and love the write up ! no doubt we are not passing a Ferrari on PCH with our stock 2.0 unless he were braking hard for a turn off lol!

but in all seriousness it shows how fun the stock 2.0 car can be ,and add just a bit of suspension mods and tires and it evens the score quickly! i think an autocross would be a great comparison for these two cars you might be amazed and how close the results are. Last month i ran a Autocross and there were just 2 914's, a '74 with the same suby motor your competitor had, turbo etc and flared car with 9's and 8's. on the last day after 2 days and 8 runs, he bested me by less than 1 second on a 1.2mile course. I have a stock tired 2.0 , 200wear rating tires, 6" front and 7" rear fuchs, bilitein sport shocks and Tarret front drop links on stock anti-sway bar. at times you could see his extra HP was not an improvement, but at times on longer part and slalom i was wishing for a few my hp and RPM before redline, but it was very close! and big smiles and lots of fun were had by all!! we dont have mountain roads within 4 hours of here so i am stuch with the occasional AX, - BTW those are both beautiful cars!!!!! glad they are out and running in the wild!

Phil
Andyrew
Fun Fun!! Great comparison!

Thanks for the pics and post!
76-914
The Porscharoo only has 148 ft lb's of torque????? Is that a typo or more literary license? shades.gif
FlacaProductions
How did I miss this thread until now - fantastic!
Robarabian
@FlacaProductions SORRY, YES TYPO and I fat fingered it to Jeffrey. It dyno'd 289 HP and 248 Torque...

quote name='76-914' date='Dec 28 2020, 04:18 PM' post='2878635']
The Porscharoo only has 148 ft lb's of torque????? Is that a typo or more literary license? shades.gif
[/quote]
914_7T3
Tech Specs have been corrected. As with Playboy, I know everyone reads this for the articles and not the pictures!

shades.gif
oldschool
Fun read brother...More pictures please. piratenanner.gif
Maltese Falcon
The Prius being the cones in an autocross is "Totally a Visual" in the description on PCH 1 ! Be careful though when near them...they are as unpredictable as can be !
#badpriusdrivers biggrin.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(oldschool @ Dec 28 2020, 07:42 PM) *

Fun read brother...More pictures please. piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
The only real Porsche I saw in this thread was the white 911 Targa. stirthepot.gif
Robarabian
Funny, I saw that car too, but it was only in my rear view mirror. I seem to recall him trying to play with me, but when I smoked past that Ferrari, he wouldn't even pull up next to me. And I would add that that Porsche looked great in my mirrors... piratenanner.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Dec 29 2020, 08:13 AM) *

Funny, I saw that car too, but it was only in my rear view mirror. I seem to recall him trying to play with me, but when I smoked past that Ferrari, he wouldn't even pull up next to me. And I would add that that Porsche looked great in my mirrors... piratenanner.gif

You mean like this?

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
Your cars both look great, really nice write up!
Nacho
Beautiful looking cars! job well done driving.gif My car build feels to be at par with Chucky's build sad.gif

beerchug.gif
Nacho
Robarabian
That's IT!!!

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Dec 29 2020, 11:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Robarabian @ Dec 29 2020, 08:13 AM) *

You mean like this?

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.