Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ENGINE NUMBER
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ebradley
Hi
I have a 1974 Porsche 914 2.0 and I’m trying to decode the engine number. Not sure if it’s original or not. I have the orig owners manual with vin but they never wrote the engine number
Says GA007952

Any thoughts? Thanks guys
EB
iankarr
Well...GA would be the correct code for a '74 2.0. The only "authorized" way to tell is to get a Porsche PPS or Classic Technical Certificate (formerly Certificate of Authenticity, only way more expensive and complicated).
Try running the VIN against the databease here http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=94572 to see if the engine at least matches an entry by a previous owner.

It's also possible a previous owner has a COA...do you have any way to check with them?
Superhawk996
Let's not forget about @DaveP . He can often do a unofficial Kardex search. No fancy certificate with Porsche logo but the info comes from the same data. He was a huge help to me when I was trying to determine how my car was originally ordered.

Way more resonable fee than Porsche's $500 robbery to get their new improved Classic Technical Certificate. Sure, ship your car across the country to one of the "official" Classic dealer partners, get it inspected by someone that has probably only seen 1 or 2 914's in their career. What a joke . . . unless you lived near one of the official dealer partners you're talking about a $3500 certificate assuming $1500 (bargin) shipping each way. barf.gif

Thanks for nothing Porsche!
Ebradley
My engine number isn’t in the range with the decoding charts I found on internet. Maybe I’m looking at it wrong. Thanks for all the advice
JeffBowlsby
Your engine SN is correct for a 1974 and would be earlier in the 1974 production. Please post your VIN, and the date from the drivers door label.
framos914
This shows the engine numbers for the 74 2.0. Jeff has it right about early 74.Click to view attachment
914_7T3
QUOTE(framos914 @ Dec 31 2020, 12:05 PM) *

This shows the engine numbers for the 74 2.0. Jeff has it right about early 74.Click to view attachment

agree.gif

Falls within the range of an early '74

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.