Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Custom exhaust for a 914 sandrail - Help?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GGerg1186
Having a hard time finding exhaust options for my 914 sandrail. Could use input and ideas.

I have a 1973 1.7L with oval ports. I was thinking of running two ports into one muffler on each side.

Looking at fabricating a custom exhaust header with this approximate routing.
Click to view attachment

Here is my engine and transaxle. Looking to mount the fuel cell just above the transaxle.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here is a picture of my cylinder exhaust port:

Click to view attachment

Looking to keep the headers tucked as close to the cylinder head as feasible to increase ground clearance:

Click to view attachment

Can I start with 1-5/8" 16ga 304 Stainless tubing and mash the oval shape into the end of the tubing? I could then tig weld the cylinder head stud loops for securing to the head. Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the oval shape? I can buy pre-bent SS joints from summit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-13033

mb911
I can provide bends if you need them. I bend 1.625 all the time.
GGerg1186
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 27 2020, 02:59 PM) *

Are you capable of doing a full custom exhaust?

Would you be willing to swage the end oval and weld on the head stud tabs?

How much per bend?

I will send a PM with cell phone if you prefer. I am located about 2.5 Hours from Racine, WI. (Dubuque IA)
mb911
QUOTE(GGerg1186 @ Dec 27 2020, 01:09 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 27 2020, 02:59 PM) *

Are you capable of doing a full custom exhaust?

Would you be willing to swage the end oval and weld on the head stud tabs?

How much per bend?

I will send a PM with cell phone if you prefer. I am located about 2.5 Hours from Racine, WI. (Dubuque IA)

Sorry can't do the swage as I have nothing to match it with.. Custom also costs a bunch.. I would suggest having me do the bends if possible but you may find that the summit kit maybe cheaper? No idea. I don't do the volume they do. I am an option though so let me know what you need.
GGerg1186
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 27 2020, 03:13 PM) *

Sorry can't do the swage as I have nothing to match it with.. Custom also costs a bunch.. I would suggest having me do the bends if possible but you may find that the summit kit maybe cheaper? No idea. I don't do the volume they do. I am an option though so let me know what you need.

Summit bends are $25 each with a 1.625 bend radius to the centerline, which is pretty tight. What radii bending die do you have? I sent an email, feel free to call / email me back.
GGerg1186
Anyone know where I can get a set of exhaust manifolds similar to these?

Exhaust should exit towards the transmission.

Click to view attachment
mb911
Those are easy I suppose as well. I have been busy have not gotten back to you yet
GGerg1186
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 29 2020, 01:37 PM) *

Those are easy I suppose as well. I have been busy have not gotten back to you yet

I understand the holidays are busy.

Let me know if you can fabricate something like the picture above, and provide a quote.

Thanks
barefoot
I've got just what you need ?? smile.gif

Custom 75-76 version true dual ehaust yours cheap other side is mirror image.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mb911
QUOTE(barefoot @ Dec 30 2020, 11:45 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

That is a perfect setup and cheap.. I can supply parts but to be honest I can't fab up anything custom right now.. It would be to costly.
GGerg1186
QUOTE(barefoot @ Dec 30 2020, 01:45 PM) *

Message me a price with shipping to 52046
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.