Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best way to remove tranny front seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mcraneiowa
I am in the process of replacing the clutch, flywheel, etc. and other seals. This one was leaking as evidence of oil prior to cleaning. This is a 74 1.8 liter car.
Question is best way to remove from tranny without scratching the surface. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
JOEPROPER
Screw in a self tapper and slide hammer or pry it out. I never did this on a 914, but have done it on many others. Just be careful.
cary
Here's what Super In Law and I came up with.
Custom seal puller. So it fits inside the bell housing.
Quick and dirty. But ......................
Rest the lever on a scrap of flat steel so you don't dent/knick the outer edge.

Click to view attachment

The arrow shows the spring rim. That's about where I go in.

Click to view attachment

Bucci
New design on the custom seal puller..!
porschetub
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Dec 28 2020, 12:13 PM) *

Screw in a self tapper and slide hammer or pry it out. I never did this on a 914, but have done it on many others. Just be careful.

That's what I did, just make sure you don't drill in to far and only put the screw in far enough to get a good "bite" on the seal,you may need to drill 2 holes,not sure as mine came out with one.
I used an install tool I made years ago for T1 swingaxle and IRS box's.
Click to view attachment
Mcraneiowa
I purchased a seal puller and within seconds, okay a minute had the old one in my hand. A solid $15 investment to make sure I didn’t mess up the sealing surface. Thanks for the suggestions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.