Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 14 year olds first drive of the 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yellowporky
I gave my 14 year old the choice of cars to practice in today and he selected the 914.
He did surprisingly well for his first time with a manual.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
thumb3d.gif

My son learned to drive on a stick, in fact he took his licence test with a manual.
Cairo94507
Very cool. What better way to instill a passion for our little cars. He will be the only one of friends who can say they know how to drive a stick. beerchug.gif
Unobtanium-inc
My son Max has an auto.
yellowporky
Trying to pass on the sickness cheer.gif
He also helped build the car so I am hoping he will take care of it since he has some skin in the game
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=774
487]
914Sixer
smilie_pokal.gif Good for you
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(yellowporky @ Dec 27 2020, 01:39 PM) *

I gave my 14 year old the choice of cars to practice in today and he selected the 914.
[]

Awesome, but I see one problem.

He's smiling but not wearing 914 gear.

PM an address so I can ship something out tomorrow.

No $$ needed

Oscar
GGerg1186
Very cool, so glad to see people share their machines. I'll never understand the "no you can't touch it" attitude. What a blast for a memory he will have in 20 years.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(GGerg1186 @ Dec 27 2020, 03:23 PM) *

Very cool, so glad to see people share their machines. I'll never understand the "no you can't touch it" attitude. What a blast for a memory he will have in 20 years.

I can remember a friend's dad like that growing up. He had 2 Porsches, and was basically like, "don't come anywhere near the garage, ever!" In fact I once got in trouble to talking to him. Let the kids enjoy the cars, I always have.
76-914
first.gif Since he was involved with the build he will take good care of it. Smart move. beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
awesome ...I played in my dads Speedster, but took driving test in a 1953 M38A1,chev v8, power steering,,all the luxuries...
abes914
QUOTE(yellowporky @ Dec 27 2020, 01:39 PM) *

Nice! I wish my dad thought me to drive stick. We only had a mini van growing up.
I learned how to drive manual during a test drive. I went to a used car dealership about a Honda Civic.
I am planning to teach my kids to drive the 914 when the time comes. My daughter is already claiming the 914 as hers.
PanelBilly
Taught my grandson how to drive my /6 when he was 14. Never to early to start them learning.
yellowporky
We have been testing his fitment and as soon as he could reach the pedals it was time
ottox914
Good on the both of you for making a family project out of the memories that that build has made for all of you.
Racer
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 27 2020, 04:51 PM) *

thumb3d.gif

My son learned to drive on a stick, in fact he took his licence test with a manual.

Well done..

I got my license in my 914. Pretty easy to parallel park too wink.gif The inspector didn't like climbing in and out but thought it was worth the effort (it was summer, the top was off, so the in part wasn't too bad).
SKL1
Luckily we had a long driveway, 1/2 mile long, so the boys learned on a stick as soon as they could reach the pedals. They'd both been racing karts since they started on cadet karts...
Dogleg first gear was no big deal but must admit they learned on a 325i.

(I'm dating myself here but I took my driver's test in my mom's '63 SS convertible. Wish I had that car back!)

I love seeing young kids have an appreciation for "old" cars...
914xr75
I recently taught my daughter how to drive manual on our 64 F-100 pickup. Four on the floor t98 granny gear. She's been mastering it for about the last six months. We take it out weekly. In the next few weeks we're going to move into the 914. Have two more daughters coming down the line soon. Figured that was the best way to not have to visit Dr. Evil sooner than I need to.
ctc911ctc
Taught my kids to drive when they turned 7 - here is my son's car (green) in Akron when he was 16.

https://www.soapboxderby.org/

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.