Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: element fire extinguisher
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wonkipop
looking at element style fire extinguisher.
can't get element brand in aus, but can get similar or identical product called FIRE STRYKER.
(can't ship element to aus from usual usa suspects - dangerous chemical etc under aviation laws).

you guys have any views.
think they have been floating around in USA longer than down here where the product has been around maybe for only the last year or so.

any good?

i'm thinking, despite the cost, having two of these might just be a very effective way to deal with engine bay outbursts. (crossing myself, hail holy mother, touching wood, etc). + looks like they will fit in the door bin without fuss of mounting the extinguisher.
mate914
I have one in each car. Small and fits in door pockets.
StarBear
Yeah, I had the same question a few months ago - there's a thread on it somewhere. Those sticks are very convenient and not very expensive but the convincing argument for me was that the most dangerous/damaging fires are those that erupt below the engine tins - the sticks aren't powerful/long-lasting enough to handle them, so I got a 5lb Purple K unit. Might still get a stick for, as you say, the door pocket and a "quick grab" for some other event.
Best wishes!
BillJ
The 5lb purple K discharge lasts 12 seconds. The element lasts 50 seconds. How are you seeing the big bottle as lasting longer? I purchased the element one last month. Hope i never have to use it but if the specs are correct this is a much better solution.
Coondog
QUOTE(BillJ @ Dec 29 2020, 08:35 AM) *

The 5lb purple K discharge lasts 12 seconds. The element lasts 50 seconds. How are you seeing the big bottle as lasting longer? I purchased the element one last month. Hope i never have to use it but if the specs are correct this is a much better solution.

Because you only squeeze the handle 1-2 seconds at a time, which gives you time to assess your next move. Once you activate the element you can’t turn it off. Go a head and try to discharge a element up underneath your car without getting burnt. Purple K extinguishers smother the vapors from flashing back.

Personally I wouldn’t trust my 914 to something that fits in my glove box.
Cairo94507
And fellas, @Coondog knows what he is talking about. When it comes to fires, I listen to Greg. beerchug.gif
SKL1
Just bought a 3-pack from Pelican. Hope I never have to try them out...
BillJ
I do have a regular fire bottle in the car behind the seat as well - will surely leave it there even with the new tech in place. Can never be too careful. In my old 73 race car i went with Phoenix fire suppression system with fixed nozzles in frunk, engine bay, and of course on me as well.
roblav1
Purple K is my choice. In 1984, I put a carb fire out on a 68 912 at a gas station with one. Cleaned up residue and drove home.
Cairo94507
Yup, I have a 10 pound Purple K that goes under the trunk. (thanks @Coondog ) beerchug.gif
Coondog
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 29 2020, 12:25 PM) *

Yup, I have a 10 pound Purple K that goes under the trunk. (thanks @Coondog ) beerchug.gif

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
wonkipop
@ coondog & starbear, thanks mates.

what i needed to know. we do kg in upside down world.
i have a 1.5 kg extinguisher, i will research the purple k and see what i can come up with down here in weight you advise - which is more than 1.5kg.
mate914

"Purple-K was developed by the United States Naval Research Laboratory in 1959, as an improvement over sodium bicarbonate for extinguishing oil and gasoline fires. It was named due to the characteristic lavender tint imparted to flames, owing to the potassium (chemical symbol "K") content."

"Element uses a tested and proven technology, created for the space program, that fights fires on the molecular level. By chemically interrupting the chain of combustion, Element safely and effectively puts out fires without the mess, toxicity, or danger associated with a traditional extinguisher"

slivel
If you have to use a dry chemical extinguisher be sure to get all of the residue removed. It's corrosive. Once I had a fire in my 944 Turbo at the track and a corner worker put it out with dry chem. Made helluva mess and I spent a hour trying to get all of it removed. Don't know what dry chem does to magnesium parts but they warn about the corrosive effects on aluminum. In any case putting the fire out and saving the car is the first priority. Magnesium fires are very ugly.
naro914
We recently started carrying the Element because I see a huge benefit for track day people, but also for owners of older cars that could easily have a small issue and don't want to carry around big bulky fire extinguishers.

On the track, I've seen way too many grass fires started when hot oil or brakes come in contact with dry grass. Whether you have a full race car with a full fire suppression system, or just a trackday car...grass fires can burn up your car very quickly...sadly I've seen it happen.

I always used to run a full fire suppression AND a small fire bottle in Papa Smurf. Element is a great substitute for the fire bottle.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions on them.

https://naroescapemotorsports.com/product/e...0-extinguisher/
PCH
I'm with the Coondog on his advice: he knows what he is talking about.

With the Element, first you have to get it started. Then, once you have it stared, you can't stop it. When fighting a fire, you have to be able to stop the suppression and be able to assess your efforts and how the fire is behaving.

Go with the Purple K as your first line of defense and keep the Element handy as a back up.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(slivel @ Dec 30 2020, 10:12 AM) *

If you have to use a dry chemical extinguisher be sure to get all of the residue removed. It's corrosive.

It also plays merry h*ll with wiring. A friend of mine had to put out a small fire in the interior of his Saturn with a dry-chem extinguisher. The electrical system was never the same after that, the car acted like it was posssed! Stuff going off and on at random, gauges flickering and/or reading wrong, just all kinds of stuff.

He traded it in a couple of months later, and somehow all the electrical stuff worked on that particular day. He felt he was very lucky in that got him a better trade-in value than if it had been playing up.

--DD
campbellcj
I did as @naro914 said ^^ and recently added an Element as an alternative/backup to the built-in 4L AFFF system.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.