Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear ride height with Bilstein/Weltmeister
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mayne
I'm in the process of installing rear Bilsteins with 165# Weltmeister springs. Does anyone have a suggestion for an initial height setting for that combo? Not using coilover sleeves, just the standard Bilstein adjustments. Previous height seemed a little lowered with Boge and unknown springs and I would like to get close to that again. Thanks!
Steve
I’m not an expert but I was told to put a level on the long and have it level / flat as possible. Some people like the rake look with the rear a 1/4” or so higher than the front. According to the manual the ground clearance with 165x15 tires is 5.1”.
Cairo94507
I would be one of those that like the look with the rear about 1/4" higher. Overall, my car is about 1 1/4" over than stock. beerchug.gif
Mayne
Thanks for the input. I'll definitely work for a moderately lower look.

I guess my real question is about whether anyone has a baseline setting for the lower spring perch. There are multiple grooves in the shock body and I'm wondering where I should start.
drem914
QUOTE(Mayne @ Dec 29 2020, 12:35 PM) *

Thanks for the input. I'll definitely work for a moderately lower look.

I guess my real question is about whether anyone has a baseline setting for the lower spring perch. There are multiple grooves in the shock body and I'm wondering where I should start.

I think it is 4th groove from the bottom, (3 grooves exposed) but I have 140# Weltmeister springs.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

These are 16" wheels with 205-50 tires though. let me know if I can get you some more dimensions or settings
horizontally-opposed
Where it was set, and where it settled out at with 15x6 and 185/70R15s

rgalla9146
Stock 914 6 springs, 16x8 rear wheels , 225/50 rears, Bilstein perch on 3rd ring, 2
grooves exposed.
Mayne
Awesome; both cars look great! It’s interesting that one has 3 grooves exposed and the other seems to have 5 exposed, yet very similar height. Though spring rate/length and wheel diameter obviously are factors. One thing is for sure, having my perch set on the lowest groove, as they are on my bench at the the moment, is not going to work!
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Mayne @ Dec 29 2020, 02:31 PM) *

It’s interesting that one has 3 grooves exposed and the other seems to have 5 exposed, yet very similar height. Though spring rate/length and wheel diameter obviously are factors.

A lot going on there. 16s vs 15s as well as standard fenders vs M471 flares (which can vary in placement as well as dimensions). And I should have noted: The red car is on Bilsteins and Weltmeister 140lb springs.
Steve
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 29 2020, 05:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Mayne @ Dec 29 2020, 02:31 PM) *

It’s interesting that one has 3 grooves exposed and the other seems to have 5 exposed, yet very similar height. Though spring rate/length and wheel diameter obviously are factors.

A lot going on there. 16s vs 15s as well as standard fenders vs M471 flares (which can vary in placement as well as dimensions). And I should have noted: The red car is on Bilsteins and Weltmeister 140lb springs.

Plus the Weltmeister 165 and 180 lb springs are shorter than the 140 lb and lighter springs. There’s always a gap until you put the car on the ground. I remember drilling holes in the top hat and using bailing wire to tie the spring to the top hat. Otherwise it might not seat correctly in the top hat when you put it on the ground.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.