Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trouble with timing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shane
For starters is this the correct position of the distributor? I have it set at 27BTDC and number one is the post closest to the coil. Thinking that’s incorrect position but any help would be appreciated. Whether right or wrong I had it running good but then it just started running like it’s way out of time or something.Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Did you set the timing at 3500 RPM? That figure is generally the "fully advanced" timing, not the spec at idle.

Usually the #1 plug tower on the cap is toward the left-front, not straight forward like yours has. But that is very dependent on the position of the distributor drive shaft, which can go in a number of different orientations. Haynes has a picture of how the slots in the top of the driveshaft should look when the motor is at TDC#1; I believe the slots are supposed to point about 12 degrees left (counter-clockwise) of straight fore-and-aft.

--DD
shane
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 30 2020, 09:18 PM) *

Did you set the timing at 3500 RPM? That figure is generally the "fully advanced" timing, not the spec at idle.

Usually the #1 plug tower on the cap is toward the left-front, not straight forward like yours has. But that is very dependent on the position of the distributor drive shaft, which can go in a number of different orientations. Haynes has a picture of how the slots in the top of the driveshaft should look when the motor is at TDC#1; I believe the slots are supposed to point about 12 degrees left (counter-clockwise) of straight fore-and-aft.

--DD

Thanks for the reply, I bought the Dansk distributor that Pelican offers for my car. I did set timing at 3200 but I rotated the distributor a little each direction and it only ran worse. All the plugs are black and look the same but I haven’t found any vacuum leaks and retightened carb intake. I checked valve adjustment and everything looks good. So I’m kinda at a loss now.
mate914
When I run into something like this. I take ten minutes to think about something else.
Go back and pull it apart. Reinstall again per "timing with carbs" list on the PP web site..
PP is a great place for many years.

shane
QUOTE(mate914 @ Dec 31 2020, 06:34 AM) *

When I run into something like this. I take ten minutes to think about something else.
Go back and pull it apart. Reinstall again per "timing with carbs" list on the PP web site..
PP is a great place for many years.

Okay great thanks for the advice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.