Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need GPS coordinates for the fuchtards that took us out!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Krieger
WTF is wrong with people? ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif
VegasRacer
blowup.gif
mate914
What happened? Were we hacked?
Robarabian
THANK YOU ANDY FOR BRINGING BACK THE WORLD!!!! I second it, find them, let's take em out!!
mepstein
I think our wives did it. lol-2.gif
Porschef
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 2 2021, 09:38 AM) *

idea.gif shades.gif lol-2.gif
Nacho
Maybe Y2K finally got us! lol-2.gif lol-2.gif good to see we are back up and running beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Yeah, thanks and Happy New Year Andy. My whole day yesterday was off balance. beerchug.gif
76-914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 2 2021, 06:38 AM) *

Good one, Eps. lol-2.gif
Betty
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 2 2021, 08:38 AM) *

Wasn't me. I was getting the shakes too just like all of ya'll were.
fixer34
See Sir Andy's note about it being a DDoS attack. Nearly impossible to track down the source since it comes from thousands (or millions) of computers. The Russians, China, or N Korea probably aren't interested in 914's. More likely some 'script-kiddie' looking for bragging rights among his basement-dwelling buddies...
rhodyguy
How much would you be willing to pony up if ALL of the data/info was held for ransom? 10s of thousands of eager members. A little out of each and every pocket adds up. You guys want to get into a bear poking contest? Leave it to the pros.
MM1
Evil bastards - whether they’re kiddies or commies chair.gif

Perhaps we should just make 914World an Apple platform-only app - I believe all the automotive companies (at least design) use apple exclusively for security reasons.

Kaspersky said a while back (for whatever that’s worth) that the Android platform was the greatest risk to online banking.

Apple NEVER gets cracked . . . uh, well, unless your a “brilliant” celebrity with a stupidly simple password.

That doesn’t apply to any of us, does it?

mepstein
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 2 2021, 01:39 PM) *

How much would you be willing to pony up if ALL of the data/info was held for ransom? 10s of thousands of eager members. A little out of each and every pocket adds up. You guys want to get into a bear poking contest? Leave it to the pros.

As long as the hot chicks thread is backed up, we are good.
fixer34
QUOTE(MM1 @ Jan 2 2021, 12:48 PM) *

Perhaps we should just make 914World an Apple platform-only app - I believe all the automotive companies (at least design) use apple exclusively for security reasons.

Kaspersky said a while back (for whatever that’s worth) that the Android platform was the greatest risk to online banking.

Apple NEVER gets cracked . . . uh, well, unless your a “brilliant” celebrity with a stupidly simple password.

A DDoS attack has little/nothing to do with hacking. I'm pretty sure the site wasn't compromised. 914World is a publicly available website link. That means anyone can get to it. However, if a million PC's all try to open the home page at the same time, the server won't be able to handle all of them and no one can get to it. Hence, 'denial of service'.

As for going with 'Apple only', I refuse to have an iPhone or iPad. You cannot do anything with an Apple product without an Apple ID which requires more personal information than I'm willing to give.
914_teener
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Jan 2 2021, 01:09 PM) *

A DDoS attack has little/nothing to do with hacking. I'm pretty sure the site wasn't compromised. 914World is a publicly available website link. That means anyone can get to it. However, if a million PC's all try to open the home page at the same time, the server won't be able to handle all of them and no one can get to it. Hence, 'denial of service'.

As for going with 'Apple only', I refuse to have an iPhone or iPad. You cannot do anything with an Apple product without an Apple ID which requires more personal information than I'm willing to give.

agree.gif

I'ts hard to know what youv'e lost when you live your life like a commodity.

I'd add...it's not about your information it's about changing your mind.
Carbon-14
Moose and Squirrel ?
Spy vs Spy ?
Madmen at the Controls ?
No, merely a teener that wanted to download all the threads, deep inside the complex, under the mountain where the blue machines are humming, collecting data of the humans, thinking...
' I will build the ultimate 914, I am, after all the ultimate machine. '
' Now, 4 or 6 ? '
' Nine ! '
' Muah ah ah ah '
930cabman
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Jan 2 2021, 01:23 PM) *

See Sir Andy's note about it being a DDoS attack. Nearly impossible to track down the source since it comes from thousands (or millions) of computers. The Russians, China, or N Korea probably aren't interested in 914's. More likely some 'script-kiddie' looking for bragging rights among his basement-dwelling buddies...

Probably true, sad part is they are our neighbors
Chris914n6
Alot of big name sites were also down at the same time, like twitter. I doubt its World they are targeting but someone else at the farm.
ClayPerrine

"I believe all the automotive companies (at least design) use apple exclusively for security reasons." LOL!!! You have no idea what you are talking about.

If you believe that apple never gets hacked/cracked you are living in a complete dream world. Believe me, I see it all the time. I do this for a living. So after 28 years of It experience, this is not speculation on my part. I am a certified ethical hacker, and an IT security expert.

When I was the Chief Technology Officer for Jacuzzi Brands, I had to disabuse a salesman of the fallacy that Apple never gets viruses/hacked/cracked before. I explained it like this:

Me: "You sell hot tubs, right?"
Salesman: "Yes"

Me: "Ok, we have two groups of people, one over here on your left consists of 50 people. The other group on the right consists of 500 people. You can only pick one group to pitch your sales. Which one are you going to try to sell hot tubs to?"

Salesman: "I am going for the bigger group. I will get more sales that way."

Me: "A hacker writes code, right?"
Salesman: "Yes"

Me: "Ok, we have two groups of people, one over here on your left consists of 50 people who run apple products. The other group on the right consists of 500 people who run Windows. The hacker can only pick one group to create an attack virus for. Which one is he going to try to attack?"

Salesman: "He is going to try to attack the bigger group. He will get more hits that way.... I get it now, because Microsoft has the biggest market share, the hackers that create the viruses try to attack them."

Any computer, any network appliance, any application will have vulnerabilities, no matter what the vendor. The proper, professional approach is to try to make your system more secure, so they move on to easier targets. But you have to balance out security and usability.

As for this attack, it has nothing to do with the system being run. It has to do with an outside entity generating so much traffic that the targeted system(s) cannot handle the load, so the system crashes. The only way to beat an attack like this is to be able to filter out the attacks before they get to the web server.

And there is no way to make 914World an "Apple-platofrm only app." Apple computer does not have any server products at all. Plus, the current versions of Apple computer OS is actually a version of Linux with Apple exclusive graphics overlaid on it. So it has all the vulnerabilities of Linux now.

I am not attacking Apple, Apple computers are great for graphics and a lot of artistic types love them. They are good machines, and they have great support. But as a professional server admin/systems architect, I see both the good and bad of all systems. Andy does a great job of keeping 914Word online and running. Unfortunately, there are still bad people out there who just want to watch the world burn.

I am going to climb down off my soap box now. But please fact check me, and if I am wrong on something, let me know. That way I can educate myself and not make wrongheaded, ignorant statements again.

Clay

914_teener
Yea....I think your right Clay but for a minute there...maybe an nano second I thought it was a political thread. Maybe?
djway
QUOTE(Nacho @ Jan 2 2021, 07:00 AM) *

Maybe Y2K finally got us! lol-2.gif lol-2.gif good to see we are back up and running beerchug.gif

If so, at least they got the end of the decade right this time.
914sgofast2
Thank God the ECU for my 914’s FI can’t be hacked. Sorry for all you guys who “upgraded” to 123 distributors!
messick
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 2 2021, 03:51 PM) *

I am going to climb down off my soap box now. But please fact check me, and if I am wrong on something, let me know. That way I can educate myself and not make wrongheaded, ignorant statements again.

Clay

The core of macOS (named Darwin) was first released 20 years ago, and is derived from FreeBSD. And even that came out stuff NeXTSTEP was developing back in the late 80’s. It was never in any part “Linux”, and in fact predates it.
mgp4591
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Jan 2 2021, 07:34 PM) *

Thank God the ECU for my 914’s FI can’t be hacked. Sorry for all you guys who “upgraded” to 123 distributors!

Absolutely! I'm OBDI so I'm safe... betcha the mom's in their 2020 Macans are quivering... happy11.gif
MM1
Cool the jets, Clay.

I was completely joking about Apple. Thought the hacked ”celebrity” comment made that clear. Perhaps I should have worded it more sarcastically.

No one despises Apple’s fascist-like control more than me.

It seems we all seek truth here, and since you asked us to fact check you so you can
“can educate [yourself] and not make wrongheaded, ignorant statements again,” here’s one:

When I said “I believe all the automotive companies (at least the design departments) use apple exclusively for security reasons“, that wasn’t a joke - merely the setup for a joke, since we all know Apple has been hacked more times than we’ll ever know about.

The fact is I know the major automotive oem’s only allow Apple company phones in design because I have worked for 2 of them for the last 20 years and my colleagues who have played the field amongst every other OEM and Chinese ev start up for the past few decades have said the same is true of those companies. Apple may not be more secure despite their draconian controls, but the boards of said corporations have elected to go with Apple - doubtless upon the advice of numerous V.P’s who were also seasoned “IT professionals.”

I employed the phrase, “I believe” despite knowing the above to be true, because I don’t care to come off as a cocky know-it-all . . . much less like the last Director of IT we had to deal with at a German oem (an American to be clear). . . you know the type: condescending to others, always saying, “ no, no, no - you have no idea what you’re talking about ” . . . when he was the one who should have learned more - especially at his age - like a few lines starting with, “a little learning is a dangerous thing.”

Let’s all take a deep draught of the “ Pierian spring” - none of us would want 914World to be an app on anyone’s platform, or be anything other than the pleasure it is to all of us. beerchug.gif

Marcus

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(MM1 @ Jan 3 2021, 03:17 AM) *

Cool the jets, Clay.

I was completely joking about Apple. Thought the hacked ”celebrity” comment made that clear. Perhaps I should have worded it more sarcastically.

It seems we all seek truth here, and since you asked us to fact check you so you can
“can educate [yourself] and not make wrongheaded, ignorant statements again,” here’s one:

When I said “I believe all the automotive companies (at least the design departments) use apple exclusively for security reasons“, that wasn’t a joke - merely the setup for a joke, since we all know Apple has been hacked more times than we’ll ever know about.

The fact is I know the major automotive oem’s only allow Apple company phones in design because I have worked for 2 of them for the last 20 years and my colleagues who have played the field amongst every other OEM and Chinese ev start up for the past few decades have said the same is true of those companies. Apple may not be more secure despite their draconian controls, but the boards of said corporations have elected to go with Apple - doubtless upon the advice of numerous V.P’s who were also seasoned “IT professionals.”

I employed the phrase, “I believe” despite knowing the above to be true, because I don’t care to come off as a cocky know-it-all . . . much less like the last Director of IT we had to deal with at a German oem (an American to be clear). . . you know the type: condescending to others, always saying, “ no, no, no - you have no idea what you’re talking about ” . . . when he was the one who should have learned more - especially at his age - like a few lines starting with, “a little learning is a dangerous thing.”

Let’s all take a deep draught of the “ Pierian spring” - none of us would want 914World to be an app on anyone’s platform, or be anything other than the pleasure it is to all of us. beerchug.gif

Marcus

Marcus,

You managed to push one of my hot buttons. I have been dealing with the cult of Jobs for years now, and they always seem to come back to the "Apple never gets viruses, and never gets hacked" BS.

Sorry to go off on you.

Clay
MM1
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 3 2021, 06:36 PM) *

QUOTE(MM1 @ Jan 3 2021, 03:17 AM) *

Cool the jets, Clay.

Marcus

Marcus,

You managed to push one of my hot buttons. I have been dealing with the cult of Jobs for years now, and they always seem to come back to the "Apple never gets viruses, and never gets hacked" BS.

Sorry to go off on you.

Clay

No problem, my good man. . . I agree with you, and I truly appreciate your apology. You’re a stand-up guy and a straight shooter, which I think we all appreciate here. These are times more stressful than usual, and I realize I‘ve been going off more than I should recently - this ol’ daily driver needs some maintenance just like all the other ageing dd’s we have around here! I’ll try to work on this one too.

Cheers to you and all here . . .may our 2021 get better every day.

beerchug.gif
veltror
[quote name='ClayPerrine' date='Jan 2 2021, 11:51 PM' post='2879792']
[quote name='MM1' post='2879712' date='Jan 2 2021, 12:48 PM']

Plus, the current versions of Apple computer OS is actually a version of Linux with Apple exclusive graphics overlaid on it. So it has all the vulnerabilities of Linux now.

Clay
[/quote]

Not quite, MacOs/OsX is based on a BSD/Mach kernel no Linux there.

I wish the world would run on Solaris the Rolls-Royce of OS
fixer34
[quote name='veltror' date='Jan 9 2021, 01:58 PM' post='2881595']
[quote name='ClayPerrine' date='Jan 2 2021, 11:51 PM' post='2879792']
[quote name='MM1' post='2879712' date='Jan 2 2021, 12:48 PM']

Plus, the current versions of Apple computer OS is actually a version of Linux with Apple exclusive graphics overlaid on it. So it has all the vulnerabilities of Linux now.

Clay
[/quote]

Not quite, MacOs/OsX is based on a BSD/Mach kernel no Linux there.

I wish the world would run on Solaris the Rolls-Royce of OS
[/quote]

I'm going to put my plug in for the computer systems I work on:
IBM OS/400 (now called IBM i by some idiot marketing team...).
Been around 30+ years, base code has NEVER been hacked, no one has ever proved they successfully created a virus or malware for it. Not uncommon for a system to run years without a shutdown or restart.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.