Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Canepa 914 video
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cal
Here’s a good video of the custom 914 that Bruce Canepa recently owned along with an E type Speedster.

https://youtu.be/iw0KO84ql9k
Rleog
Excellent. Thanks.
Vysoc
Thanks for the great video!!

Happy New Year!!!

Vysoc flag.gif
Cairo94507
That was a cool video and nice commentary about our little cars. I have always liked the look of that particular car. I wish they would have put it up on a rack and popped the engine lid open so we could see all of it. Thanks for posting. beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
1974 Porsche 914
24th February 2017, The Garage
“The art of simplicity is a puzzle of complexity.”

Mike Tobey pushes the boundaries of modern car conversions through the extensive restoration of his very own 1974 Porsche 914.

The project began in July 2006, when Mike Tobey purchased this 914 from a trader in Portland, Oregon. By September that year, Mike had already set the wheels in motion for his unique concept by completely dissembling the car. Yet, to bring his vision to life Tobey enrolled the help of A&M Deluxe Customs to transform the bodywork.

The restoration of the bodywork propelled the car above the parapet of like-minded custom Porsche models, through a substantial refurbishment. Which included new metal GT fender flares front and rear, roof steel hardtop, new headlights, custom steel rocker panels amongst a whole host of finer details.

Consequently, the drivetrain had to be upgraded to match up to the stealth bodywork. The 3.2 Carrera long block was chosen and rebuilt completely, topping the engine with brand new Weber 40mm triple carbs. The result of the engine upgrade increased the machine to 200hp and 197 ft. of torque at the wheels driving the car.

To put the scale of the renovation into perspective, the only parts of the car that remained untouched were the master cylinder and rear deck lid. However, with 3,900 miles on the clock since its completion, the Porsche 914 remains a spectacular example of modern innovation and rennovation.
JeffBowlsby
Nice illustration of more of its details previously unseen, would like to know more.

An art car with numerous refinements to form and compromises to function.

I wonder what dimensions a man would need to be to drive it comfortably?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jan 2 2021, 12:01 PM) *

Nice illustration of more of its details previously unseen, would like to know more.

An art car with numerous refinements to form and compromises to function.

Under 6' ?

I looks like the 2" chop makes a big difference.
SirAndy
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jan 2 2021, 09:01 AM) *

The guy who built it was on the shorter side of things. It's been several years since we talked but i'm guessing 5'6 ish.
bye1.gif
sixnotfour
Pretty poor seat situation,, Head Banger comes mind,,,has a great profile ,but not very good real life usage..
http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/34781...html?no_cache=1
rhodyguy
Portland trader. Camp914.
infraredcalvin
HP/Tq numbers seem low for a completely rebuilt 3.2, even low at the wheels... no wonder this thing has a hard time selling. This thing looks like it should be pushing 300+ hp.
Craigers17
Favorite Quote:
"People say cars drive like go-karts, ....go-karts SUCK in comparison to this car."

....made me smile.
Tbrown4x4
Roads are local to me. I laughed when the Jag died in front of Kitsap Muffler.
boxstr
Not sure why it was listed as a Canepa video. Blackula was in the possession of Griots when the video was made by the two drivers from YouTube Daliy Driver..

The car started life as a 4 cylinder, with a 2.4 6 cylinder conversion. I purchased the from Dan Root who had purchased it from a enthusiast in Mountlake Terrace, and I brought it back to Camp 914, stripped to bare metal with a new black paint job and full red interior. It already had the five lug conversion.

I then sold it to Mike Tobey who stripped the car of interior and motor, and prepared the car for a complete transformation into what you see today. A&M in Hillsboro did the metal work on the car. I supplied Mike with steel flares, front Pilot lights, LeMans seats, also a set of brand new in the box Weber carbs. The car was finally completed and Mike was able to enjoy the car that he spent a lot of time and money to build.

Mike suffered a bad fall from a balcony at a home he was renting while he was building a home in the San Juan’s, and to pay for construction to the home he was building he contacted An auto detailer in Portland to give him a title loan on the 914. When it came time to pay off the loan, the interest rate was so high that he reached out to myself and I reached out to Ken Garchow who then purchased the car from the detailer.

I went with Ken to retrieve the car and drove it to his home in Portland. It was a the most fun 914 I had ever driven.

The car then went through some cleanup and small details. It then went to Canepa and the to Bruce Levin, who died of cancer, and then on to Griots where it still lives.
Craig at CAMP 914
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.