Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To Weld Or Not To Weld
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Superhawk996
Can't make up my mind on whether or not to weld this drain hole closed.

This drainage slot sits under the pedal cluster.

Click to view attachment

I belive the intent is to let moisture from pedal area have a place to drain to. However, I will never be driving this car with snow on my boots or with shoes that would be sopping wet. Not sure this is the case though. There is no similar slot on the passenger side to drain that side.

The only other thing that I can imagine this could drain is brake fluid when then Master Cylinder eventually gives up the ghost. confused24.gif

Rather than provide drainage, I think this slot will only serve to allow road spray and/or moisture up into the car. On new automotive sheetmetal there is no accomodation made for draining water from the footwell area. The only exception that I'm aware of are for Jeeps and the new Bronco but not likely I'll be muddin' or water fording with the 914. rolleyes.gif

Can anyone talk me into a reason for not welding this up?
preach
Originality?

I'd weld it.
Nacho
I thought that hole has a round metal cap that gets seam sealer.

Nacho
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Nacho @ Jan 3 2021, 01:24 PM) *

I thought that hole has a round metal cap that gets seam sealer.

Nacho

OEM floorpans have a couple different size round holes for spot welder access that get a cap and seam sealer that I'm aware of. As far as I know, this isn't one of those. When this donor sheetmetal came to me it was just painted but not sealed where as the other small round holes had the cap and seam sealer you mention.

BTW - this would actually drain into the pedal reinfocement stamping and not directly out of the car to the ground. confused24.gif

Anyone have a good picture of an unmolested OEM part?
930cabman
We are just getting into the pedal area now, subscribed
doug_b_928
If I recall correctly (it has been a while since disassembly), mine appeared to have had seam sealer around the inside perimeter of the circular depression and the round steel plate appeared to have been set on top of the seam sealer and gently pressed into it. That was just what I surmised upon removal.
John
The ones I have seen including the one that I have that is still original also had seam sealer with a round metal disc pressed into the seam sealer.

This slit or hole covered with the round disc also aligns with a hole in the petal mount stiffener welded under the floor.

If it were me, I would weld it and not worry about it. That's what we did many years ago with the track car.

bdstone914
I would weld it up. It does have a round disc in there. I think it was more of a drain when they dipped the cars. Most pedal sets rust from the bottom up. And use some caulk or other sealant in the threads of the pedal set to seal of from outside moisture. Porsche did not do that until 1978 on the 911's

@Superhawk996
930cabman
What is the preferred seam sealer similar to the original?
Superhawk996
Thanks to all that have responded. Great Forum first.gif

I will weld it since no one has presented a case for leaving it as some sort of drain. Will also seal the threads. Great idea!
914_teener
I'd put a rubber plug in it as leave it as a drain unless there is another in the pan somewhere.

You never know sometimes if you will need access.

Most modern cars have plugs inside the low spots in case they fill with water...beer...or coffee...or some other liquid.

Besides...it's faster then welding.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(914_teener @ Jan 3 2021, 02:38 PM) *

I'd put a rubber plug in it as leave it as a drain unless there is another in the pan somewhere.

You never know sometimes if you will need access.

Most modern cars have plugs inside the low spots in case they fill with water...beer...or coffee...or some other liquid.

Besides...it's faster then welding.

Yup I have one Im gonna fill it with ospho..then drain it...???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.