Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High Quality Carpet Kit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxster914
I just had a ton of suspension and other work done on my '71 Irish Green (which I will detail in the what have you done subforum at a later date after the rust remediation is done) and now I need to source a nice carpet kit.

The interior is the biscuit tan/light brown. What would be a good high quality kit that would have been original to the car?

I've looked at AA and 914Rubber but the pictures are not great and don't give me a sense of what the carpet looks like. The color should be tan I'm guessing?

Any help with this would be welcomed!

Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
Try Autos International, very high quality stuff. Green and light tan is a great color combination
rgalla9146
Do you have any remnants from the original ?
Autos International will provide samples of their offerings.
914_7T3
Autobahn Interiors

https://www.autobahninteriors.com/
wonkipop
if you want to go stock/original tones?
not certain what went in 71 cars with tan.

i have a 74.
with brown interior.
the car came with a 73 colour selection chart tucked into the handbook folder.
i guess the original owners picked up some printed material in 73 from a dealer when they were thinking about their purchase? seems like 74 brown was same as 73 brown combo so tan probably was too.
i have seen those colour selection charts for each year around on the internet.

for 73 the brown interior had brown carpet.
tan had tan carpet.
two choices, needle loom or pile.

the trick will be the carpet material itself.
the original carpet material was very 70s (in a good way).
you would almost call it "hippy" fashion tones.
natural wool tones. for the pile at least.
there was a white fleck or white thread mixed in with the dyed fibre.
a picture speaks clearer than words. see image attached.

where you get this carpet now i do not know?
i managed to get it from porsche australia 30 years ago to make a rhd carpet set for my car. it was factory stock still available from the warehouse in germany.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
wonkipop
ps

the best place to look for unfaded sample, if original carpet still in car, is where the carpet was tucked behind the speaker covers.

if you were after something original looking i'd be checking out mercedes benz sources. i think this stuff might have went into top end vws like the 412 and karmann ghias. i don't think this carpet material went into 911s but i could be wrong.
wonkipop
here is a pic of original carpet pulled out of car back in 1991 next to offcut of factory material.
unfaded under sill covers.
fair bit of colour lost in first 15-16 years of sun exposure.
(story was the car only got used in usa summer with top ALWAYS off).

offcut of material i got from aus distributor back around the same time is true to orig colour. offcut has not seen any exposure to sun since early 90s.
neither has what i put in the car - never got around to finishing the rhd carpet set until this year when i recommissioned.

this is for a brown interior.

this mob look like they have something close as a raw material supplier.
you would need a sample to work out whether the pile size weave pattern looks right. the stuff in 914s was fairly tight loop.
isn't cheap. ("fancier" 911 stuff from same era is half the price per metre/yard!!).
https://www.europeanautointeriors.com/categ...ubclass=PORSCHE

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.