Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How close is close enough
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
930cabman
We are rebuilding a 1974 rustout with new structural sections, mostly from RD (great service and nice metal). I do not have a bench, but do have a HF scissors lift and have achieved the 25 1/8" gap at the top of the door openings with spreaders and ratchet straps. Since the original floor and tunnel are at least 90% intact, I am comfortable with my front/back alignment of the body. The scissors lift is level (drivers to passenger sides) and I have been checking level at several locations for reference. The new longs have been installed at the passenger side and getting ready to tie in the new "long extension" will be welded in place. I am calling "long extensions" the rearward frame members that rise up and secure the suspension console and engine mount.

All is good with the exception of the rear trunk closing surface, my level is telling me to raise the passenger side about 1/8"

My gut is telling me close enough, we are not building a church

BTW, this will be my rat hot rod

ChrisFoley
With the roof latched in place, check that the side overhang at the targa panel is equal on both sides. That will tell you if there is any twist being introduced into the chassis.
930cabman
Chris, thank you but I have confirmed dimension "X" on the factory body dimensions chart. Click to view attachment

The 1" square tube on the passenger side from the targa roof to the rear strut tower was lengthened about 1/8" and now my numbers are good. We will continue fabricating and welding in new sheet steel as we go
ChrisFoley
Nevermind.
You're in a little deeper than I realized.
930cabman
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Jan 4 2021, 01:58 PM) *

Nevermind.
You're in a little deeper than I realized.

I guess, it's my first 914, but it's all layout. I have been a builder/fabricator/mason/tradesman for years and years. In plane, level, dimensionally correct, all basic stuff.

I am sure it is easier with a frame bench, but beggars can't be .....

We have been having fun with this project, thanks for watching/commenting
Click to view attachment

I choose to keep the doors hung to check alignment often and braced the chassis over the top in place of door bracesClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.