Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Correct Tie Rod Length?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bkrantz
Does anyone know the spec (or rough measurement) for the length of the tie rods? I want to get them approximately correct during initial assembly.
914Sixer
I always keep the old ones to measure by. Put the new one next to the old one and adjusted. Guessing you don't have the old ones.
9146C
@bkrantz :

We're at a very similar point in our re-assembly...I used the following set-up (1" square tube and 1" flat bar over the disk) for my initial toe-in adjustment...should get me very close. (Using a metric tape measure for aft/fore measurements.)

ps: I've been following your build for the past year...very impressive!
wysri9
I am in the same position as @bkrantz . I can see the square tube and plate bolted to the disc give a great point to measure toe angle against, but I am struggling to see how to get the reference 0 degree position. Am I missing something obvious??
9146C
The method I've shown with the square tube was only used for the toe-in adjustment (measuring the difference between the fore/aft of the disk) side to side.

I bought a cheap camber gauge from Amazon to set my camber/caster for the front (and rear as well).

https://www.amazon.com/KIPA-Adjustable-Alig...l/dp/B07715X191

I may have misinterpreted your question; to set the camber, I set the "approximate ride height" to the A-arm at a perfectly level position and set the camber/caster at that position. Lastly, I set the toe-in.

Hope this helps! (This was intended to get the alignment as close as possible prior to an optical verification/final adjustment.)

EDIT: For clarification, the torsion bars were not installed when I did my alignment work...they were re-installed after the alignment was completed.
Mark Henry
This measurement is suppose to be made loaded, with the car on the ground.

My toe in tool measures off of the rim inside edge, Then when measuring toe in, you want the front measurement to be 1/8" less than rear dimension.

bkrantz
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 4 2021, 06:24 AM) *

I always keep the old ones to measure by. Put the new one next to the old one and adjusted. Guessing you don't have the old ones.

I took apart the originals, and had the shafts powder coated. But I forgot to get a basic measurement of original length with the rod ends and yokes attached.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.