Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo seals question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MLinde
Hi,

I removed the speedo drive in order to replace the washer and seals, and have found it difficult to easily remove the old/deteriorated seal. I removed the metal washer with no issues, but then had some difficulty removing the rubber seal. Most of it is now removed as you can see with the red arrow, but I did not expect to find another lip and then additional rubber below that (yellow arrow). Can anyone tell me what I am seeing here?

Click to view attachment
bdstone914
QUOTE(MLinde @ Jan 4 2021, 10:34 AM) *

Hi,

I removed the speedo drive in order to replace the washer and seals, and have found it difficult to easily remove the old/deteriorated seal. I removed the metal washer with no issues, but then had some difficulty removing the rubber seal. Most of it is now removed as you can see with the red arrow, but I did not expect to find another lip and then additional rubber below that (yellow arrow). Can anyone tell me what I am seeing here?

Carve out as much of the lip on the old seal with a sharp knife. Screw in a standard 14mm lug bolt and it will pull the seal. Save the sealing washer. It is a special size and costs $10.

@MLinde
iankarr
The seal isn't flat. It's got an inner and outer portion. In your pic, the red arrow points to the thin outer and the yellow to the thicker inner.

Here's a link to a pic...
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/9991...7gaAjGfEALw_wcB
MLinde
Thanks for the replies (Ian, I enjoy your youtube channel very much!)

I did already remove the metal washer, so my questions is whether the metal ring shown between the red and yellow arrows needs to be (or can be) removed, or if it needs to stay. I have the replacement parts already....

Thanks,
Mike
iankarr
Thanks, Mike. Glad you like the videos!

That metal ring is part of the housing. It sandwiches between the inner and outer portions of the seal. You'll need to clean out that space between the red arrow and the housing before you can put the new seal in. Or, better yet, get one of the upgraded dual o-ring housings and stop fighting this one wink.gif.

Click to view attachment
MLinde
Haha! Good point. I probably should spring for the new part (noticed now they are out of stock at 914 Rubber). If I'm unsuccessful, I will certainly do that. I'm also trying to rebuild my calipers at the moment (welch plug very stuck on one of them), so I will need to pick my battles vs. outsourcing some work.
iankarr
Try 914 rubber again tomorrow. They were doing a lot of work on their site over the past weeks and everything showed “out of stock” during their transition to a new platform...
bbrock
Gah! I wish I'd seen this thread a couple weeks ago. I have a package of transmission seals from Porsche sitting in my mailbox waiting to be picked up. The outer O-ring was on the oerder but not this seal headbang.gif Oh well, at least now I know what I'm missing. Good info. beerchug.gif
MLinde
The lug nut suggestion worked great! I also received a nice set of picks today from Amazon that helped clean things up. Thanks for the advice!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.