Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stealth Ash Tray Cup Holder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
I've posted this on a couple other threads but have gotten enough comments that I thought I'd give it a separate thread to make it easier to find. I came up with a slick solution for replacing the stock ash tray with a cup holder that does not change the stock appearance. Here's a goofy video showing how I did it. There are a lot more details including part numbers etc. in my build thread here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2880139

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EcXdb3c_r0

In my build thread, I also talk about an idea for a single or dual cup holder using a Subaru unit that would install something like this.

IPB Image
doug_b_928
I love it Brent! You could make those as a side business. Also, great job of resculpting the ash tray cover; looks terrific!
ClayPerrine
I showed this to Betty, and she said "YES!"... very enthusiastically. biggrin.gif

So I did a search, and found them on Ebay, so I ordered two.

I love the fact that the dash doesn't have to be modified to make them work.

Clay
douglastic
Ha! Awesome!

Before watching your video explanation, my first thought was "oh! a pop out cupholder form an Audi!"

Great work!
Jett
great idea. I have a center console where the PO stuck two of these cup holders on the side. I would not do this, but it is useful.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GERMAN-MADE-FISCHE...JUAAOSwLaVf7Hon

bbrock
QUOTE(Jett @ Jan 4 2021, 10:04 AM) *

great idea. I have a center console where the PO stuck two of these cup holders on the side. I would not do this, but it is useful.

How are those working? I need to find a spot for one more cup holder and have something similar to the one you have in my Amazon cart to play with. My plan is to mount it to a clip that slides over the edge of the center console. Same idea as yours but not as permanent.

@ClayPerrine That's cool you are going to make some. Looking forward to see any improvements you come up with. One unknown is whether it will rattle. I don't think it will but might have to add a bit of rubber on the rear tab if it does.

I'm playing with the idea of scanning the carrier to see if it can be 3D printed. I know very little about the process but have been very interested in learning.
wonkipop
genius

i'm off to the the pick a part junkyard down here.
copying you. whats your design license fee?

the one bit i won't find down here is a spare ash tray front piece.
bbrock
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 5 2021, 12:45 AM) *

genius

happy11.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGMwcTatIr8
BillJ
Post N/A. Lol
Chris H.
An Audi conversion! Nice work Brent beerchug.gif .
Jett
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 4 2021, 09:12 AM) *

How are those working? I need to find a spot for one more cup holder and have something similar to the one you have in my Amazon cart to play with. My plan is to mount it to a clip that slides over the edge of the center console. Same idea as yours but not as permanent.

@ClayPerrine That's cool you are going to make some. Looking forward to see any improvements you come up with. One unknown is whether it will rattle. I don't think it will but might have to add a bit of rubber on the rear tab if it does.

I'm playing with the idea of scanning the carrier to see if it can be 3D printed. I know very little about the process but have been very interested in learning.

They work well and we have two.
brcacti
Yes great work and good idea
bbrock
I did a bit more sleuthing on cup holders to better figure out which ones will work and there might be another option. The holder I used seems to fit 1998-2005 Audi. It is about 16cm deep and fits in the ashtray space. The cup opening only fits a soda can sized base.

There is also a holder for 2002-2008 Audi that looks to have a more modern cup opening that adjusts for smaller and wider based cups. The catch is that the only dimensions I could find is 17cm deep. I measured the depth available for install and it looks like it might barely squeak in if the decorative face plate were removed and the carrier design was modified to allow the cup holder cassette to extend out the back. There is only one way to find out though.
flat4guy
Great idea as we have been in need of one for awhile. Wouldn't the gear shift hit your cup in the center console one?
bbrock
QUOTE(flat4guy @ Jan 5 2021, 08:55 PM) *

Great idea as we have been in need of one for awhile. Wouldn't the gear shift hit your cup in the center console one?

That's just a crude mock up laying the holder where it would be if it were installed inside the center cushion. It doesn't interfere with the shift lever but it does make getting to the heater lever a little trick. There is a two-cup version of that holder that expands out sideways when open that would block the heater lever but you get two cup holders in exchange. Of course, you sure wouldn't want to open the storage bin with a full cup in the holder laugh.gif That option is too much of a mod for me because I like to keep all the mods I do invisible, non-destructive, and easily reversible. I thought it was an interesting possibility though.
wonkipop
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 5 2021, 09:20 AM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 5 2021, 12:45 AM) *

genius

happy11.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGMwcTatIr8

paying you in aussie dollars mate.
comes to 89 cents.
cheques in the mail.
bahnzai
Brent,
Would you consider building these with a supplied core 914 ashtray?
Thanks!
Danny
bbrock
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 6 2021, 03:17 AM) *

comes to 89 cents.
cheques in the mail.

thumb3d.gif lol-2.gif

QUOTE(bahnzai @ Jan 6 2021, 05:05 AM) *

Brent,
Thanks!
Danny

Hi Danny,
Unfortunately I have my hands full with my own resto and then a bunch of other projects I've fallen behind on while working on the car. I'm exploring a couple ideas to either make these more widely available as ready to use items, or document a DIY process that just about anyone would be able to do. Stay tuned. beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 6 2021, 06:59 AM) *

comes to 89 cents.
cheques in the mail.

thumb3d.gif lol-2.gif

Brent,
Thanks!
Danny

Hi Danny,
Unfortunately I have my hands full with my own resto and then a bunch of other projects I've fallen behind on while working on the car. I'm exploring a couple ideas to either make these more widely available as ready to use items, or document a DIY process that just about anyone would be able to do. Stay tuned. beerchug.gif

I searched the part number but nothing came up.. would love to make something like that as well.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 6 2021, 06:59 AM) *

comes to 89 cents.
cheques in the mail.

thumb3d.gif lol-2.gif

Brent,
Thanks!
Danny

Hi Danny,

PLEASE...I'm an instant player for FOUR(4) of these.

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

Oscar
Porschef
I’d do this. But I keep watching for the reaction at :35

laugh.gif

That’s when someone has surpassed their expectations... beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
That's a very nice solution. But yeah his reaction at 00.35 was funny as heck. beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
If you decide to make some of these, put me down for one. Well done!
double-a
same, this looks great. this is a product that needs to happen.
MM1
I'm in too, put me on the list please!
Geronimo88
I'm in for one of these too. I think every 914 owner would buy one of these.
StarBear
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 4 2021, 12:12 PM) *

I used to have a plastic holder with an arm and a U clip at the top. Would just hang it off the center console edge. Broke or went missing many years ago and have never found anything similar. Covered mugs with open handles have a high center of gravity, so don't work. sad.gif
StarBear
I'd be in for one of these, too! Please put me on the list if/when you ever make a batch of these. piratenanner.gif
bbrock
Hi all,

I've been pretty quiet lately. I've been dealing with a seemingly endless string home and car (not the 914 thankfully) equipment failures, and most recently, a shake-up with my job. I agreed to make just one of these for another member to work out a simpler way to make them. Then I'm going to send my prototype to Mark to see if 914Rubber might be able to produce something. I spoke to Mark last year about this and he is interested, but I wanted to hold on to mine until the end of the driving season (after 2.600 miles of using this thing - I love it!). Then other priorities got in the way so I'm moving slower than I had hoped.
Root_Werks
I think this product would be hit. Fingers crossed something works out.
JmuRiz
agree.gif
Love it, and it’ll tie in my old Audis to my VWPorsche wink.gif

I’ll keep an eye out for it when/if it’s available.
Cairo94507
If that was available, I would buy one. beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.