Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Robarabian
Hi everyone,

I saw a Facebook post that made me want to ask this question from those that know more.

The poster is converting his car to a 5 lug setup. From the post, it appears he put front stock 914 calipers on the rears. From what I can glean, he took measurements with the dust cover on and off and ended up with a 3mm gap with them on using an adapter of some sort.

Has anyone heard of doing this? He mentioned losing the e brake, but is there some advantage to this, fronts on rear?

Would the Rear calipers from a stock 914 not fit a SIX rear disc?

Is the SIX Rotor thicker, ie., they are not a just convert to 5 lug and go setup?

Things I am still learning file?Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I thought the post was intriguing.

Montreal914
You are not talking about what he used in the front, but here is some information:

914/4;
front calipers piston diameter: 42mm
Rear calipers piston diameter: 33mm
Front rotor thickness: ?
Rear rotor thickness: 9.4mm
Master cylinder 17mm

914/6;
front calipers piston diameter: 48mm
Rear calipers piston diameter: 38mm
Front rotor thickness (vented): ?
Rear rotor thickness: 10.4mm, diameter is also 3mm larger if I recall
Master cylinder 19mm
mepstein
The rear six rotor is a couple mm larger diameter than the one on a four. It can be trimmed down to fit the 914-4 caliper. It's the same width as a four rotor. The solid 911T rotor is easy to find and is the same size as the 914-6 rotor.

I would rather just have rebuilt rear calipers with good pads, new soft lines, etc than rig stuff up and not have an e-brake.
Montreal914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 4 2021, 01:23 PM) *

The rear six rotor is a couple mm larger diameter than the one on a four. It can be trimmed down to fit the 914-4 caliper. It's the same width as a four rotor. The solid 911T rotor is easy to find and is the same size as the 914-6 rotor.

914/6 rears are 10.4mm thick, whereas 914/4 are 9.4mm. I compared two new Zimmemann rotors by measuring them. smile.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jan 4 2021, 04:26 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 4 2021, 01:23 PM) *

914/6 rears are 10.4mm thick, whereas 914/4 are 9.4mm. I compared two new Zimmemann rotors by measuring them. smile.gif

My mistake then. I thought they were the same. The 911T rotor fit fine between the new pads on my 914-4 caliper.
Mark Henry
Cheapest and easiest way is to keep it stock and just get the hubs welded up and drilled.
You need an ebrake to be street legal.

JOEPROPER
I put 914-6 rear rotors on my rear with 911 hubs. I had to machine the rotor diameter to allow them to fit. The cost to send out, redrill and send back rotors was way to high, so i put the 6 rotors on a brake lathe and shaved down the diameter. I got the rotors from WorldPac. Parking brake is not effected.
Robarabian
Thanks everyone. This was educational for sure.
Cairo94507
I would definitely not want to be driving a street car w/o an emergency brake. I set my brake and leave my car in gear if parked on a slope. On level ground I leave it in neutral and set the brake. beerchug.gif
brant
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Jan 4 2021, 01:38 PM) *

Hi everyone,

I saw a Facebook post that made me want to ask this question from those that know more.

The poster is converting his car to a 5 lug setup. From the post, it appears he put front stock 914 calipers on the rears. From what I can glean, he took measurements with the dust cover on and off and ended up with a 3mm gap with them on using an adapter of some sort.

Has anyone heard of doing this? He mentioned losing the e brake, but is there some advantage to this, fronts on rear?

Would the Rear calipers from a stock 914 not fit a SIX rear disc?

Is the SIX Rotor thicker, ie., they are not a just convert to 5 lug and go setup?

Things I am still learning file?Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I thought the post was intriguing.

regarding your original question
the EARLY style of front caliper can be put onto the rear of a 914 with a washer as a spacer.

there are some reasons for this

I'm running this rear brake.
my race club rules talk about period correct brakes...

(no wilwoods, or giant disc brake set ups on mustangs for instance)

moving the front caliper to the rear is a period correct upgrade
its allows for a larger caliper on the back... much cheaper than a set of 914/6 rear calipers...

my car is trailered, race only
I run the 911S aluminum calipers on front
and the front brakes on the rear to help balance my set up

its possible
there are reasons
I don't need an emergency brake (extra weight... on a race car)

brant

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.