Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking of upgrading to electronic ignition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mcraneiowa
I am looking to replace my points system with electronic ignition system. Leaning towards the Pertronix system as it looks pretty simple, straight forward and from reading seems they are now considered dependable. I do not race my car so no need to over build, rather just want dependability.

What I do want to know by those who have upgraded are what other changes did you make, as to the particular system you put in. (change spark plug gap, timing changes, wires, etc.). This way I can better understand that if I purchase a particular brand, what to also consider to get the most from it. Cost is not a major factor, as I want what works well and looks stock.
As always I appreciate everyone taking time to comment, I learn lots from this site and everyone’s expertise.
oakdalecurtis
I have a stock 76 2.0 with the stock Djet infection. It would occasionally miss at higher rpms, so about a dozen years ago I installed a Crane Fireball ignition system on it. No other changes done. The engine has never dropped a cylinder since....
Shivers
When I put mine in, what I was struck by the most was how quickly my engine fired off in the morning. Worth the money just for that.
Mark Henry
Pertronix is electronic points, it's not what I call electronic ignition as in CDI, MSD, Crane, etc.
You can do other upgrades but for just the points you can put the pertronix in without any other mods.
Rrrockhound
After I put my Pertronix in, my tach needle started bouncing wildly. I had it rebuilt by Palo Alto Speedo and they said it needed to be retrofitted to be compatible with the Pertronix. It works fine now.
Ansbacher
Getting rid of the points is one of the best things you can do. The Pertronix is simple and reliable. Just follow the installation instructions to the letter so you don't bugger it up. No other changes to the electrical system needed as long as the components match or equal Pertronix's specs (coil, etc.).

Ansbacher
bbrock
When I bought my Pertronix III, I also bought the matching Flamethrower coil to take advantage of the Pertronix's ability to handle a hotter spark. I haven't run the engine with the new setup and have no idea if the hotter coil was a smart purchase, but I needed a coil anyway and it wasn't very expensive.

There is also a tech article on the Pertronix site for making tachs play nice. IIRC, you might need to add a resistor to the circuit.
aharder
I've had a Pertronix II for about 15 years, it failed on me twice. That's why I carry a spare, about a 10 min change out.

They don't like having the key left on when not running.
bbrock
QUOTE(aharder @ Jan 4 2021, 06:07 PM) *

I've had a Pertronix II for about 15 years, it failed on me twice. That's why I carry a spare, about a 10 min change out.

They claim they have fixed that with the III, but who knows...
Gatornapper
Mark is dead on here......but Hot Spark is just as good as Pertronix - I've run both...and a little cheaper. https://hot-spark.com/

But like aharder says, I'd carry a spare.

I'd also consider MSD. Improves starts, idle and up to mid-range performance and worth the money IMHO.

GN

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 4 2021, 07:33 PM) *

Pertronix is electronic points, it's not what I call electronic ignition as in CDI, MSD, Crane, etc.
You can do other upgrades but for just the points you can put the pertronix in without any other mods.
Porschef
I switched to Pertronix a few years ago, never had an issue. But upgrading to a 1-2-3 distributor made a huge difference in running.

Not cheap, but well made and adjustable beerchug.gif
BillJ
Using 123 on the new engine build. Have not tried it yet but it looks really well made. I also got pertronix and will be installing in old dizzy and test running in the new engine as well. Will then keep as spare.
914Toy
You must check your timing after changing from the stock points - then I expect you knew this.
ClayPerrine
We have run pertronix in all of our 914s. Betty's car has had one for more than 25 years, and the only failure I had was due to me hooking up the leads backwards.

I ran one on the 2.4, with the CD box. Worked great. I have not been able to find one for the original six, but with the CD ignition, it won't make a difference in performance, just reliability.

Clay
aharder
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 4 2021, 08:00 PM) *

Was not aware of a III, will have to look into making one of those a spare until I go
to a 1 2 3 with my 2056 build
jitty
My experience with the Crane fireball was that the trigger setup in the dist is rather jenky and is hard to get stable. -- plastic parts with tiny screws, hard to get right and easy to knock it out of alignment when popping the dist cap off. Switched to the pertronix unit. easy no fuss -works.
HansJan
It might be not my place to comment, since I was sitting in the back of the class when this was explained.

But with the Petronix flamethrower distributor, that my car came with, I had constant misfires at freeway cruising speed (ca 3,200 rpm).

The 1-2-3 distributor fixed that, with no other changes made at the time.
Also love the ability to change the timing curve, with my phone (Bluetooth model).
Mark Henry
This thread started me thinking what I use on my personal engines. I've installed pertonx on many customer cars, but I've only ever bought one pertronx for a personal car*.

-T4 2600cc, SDS efi with crankfire.
-3.0/6, MSD box and a PMS twinplug dizzy with a MSD trigger.
-T1 2007cc, Mallory converted to Pertronx*.
-914 1.7, Pertronex, with pertronx coil, note this engine came with it.

I have 3 other Mallory dizzy's in stock, one is already conveted to Pertronx. IIRC I have a couple of core engines with pertronx on them. I also have a 009 with a compufire module kicking around here somewhere.
bbrock
QUOTE(aharder @ Jan 4 2021, 08:41 PM) *

Was not aware of a III, will have to look into making one of those a spare until I go

I'd take it with a grain of salt. The description includes this: "Built-in reverse polarity and over current protection shuts down the system, preventing component damage." That language also is in the description of the Pertronix II so...
nditiz1
123ignition is the best. The ability to tune on the fly as well as a security lockout is great. Downside is the price.

Next affordable option is the svda pertronix. It not only does away with points, but gives you the added vacuum for just off idle adv to smooth the acceleration.
Porschef
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 5 2021, 09:08 AM) *

This thread started me thinking what I use on my personal engines. I've installed pertonx on many customer cars, but I've only ever bought one pertronx for a personal car*.

-T4 2600cc, SDS efi with crankfire.
-3.0/6, MSD box and a PMS twinplug dizzy with a MSD trigger.
-T1 2007cc, Mallory converted to Pertronx*.
-914 1.7, Pertronex, with pertronx coil, note this engine came with it.

I have 3 other Mallory dizzy's in stock, one is already conveted to Pertronx. IIRC I have a couple of core engines with pertronx on them. I also have a 009 with a compufire module kicking around here somewhere.

Mark, if you’ve ever run a 123, I’d be curious to get your take. beerchug.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 5 2021, 10:12 AM) *

QUOTE(aharder @ Jan 4 2021, 08:41 PM) *

I'd take it with a grain of salt. The description includes this: "Built-in reverse polarity and over current protection shuts down the system, preventing component damage." That language also is in the description of the Pertronix II so...

Be cautious there...

The Pertronix III has rather poor reviews concerning long term reliability. I just converted my IH340 snow plowing tractor to a electronic ignition (too much distributor shaft play threw the points gap off and would cause misfires, but anyways) and people on the vintage tractor forums reporting failing PIII units far more frequently than PII and strongly recommended sticking with the more tried and true.
brcacti
So far I love my crane fireball, don't worry about points wear.
rbzymek
I also had issues with the Petronix III. It would drop sparks at idle and act up when hot. I have since switched to Pertronix II with no issues. It has protection for leaving the key on.
Bulldog9
I've been running the Pertronix II with matching Coil and the Plug and Play Distributor with mechanical advance on my build. Has been flawless so far.
Jamie
QUOTE(Bulldog9 @ Jan 8 2021, 07:36 PM) *

I've been running the Pertronix II with matching Coil and the Plug and Play Distributor with mechanical advance on my build. Has been flawless so far.

Bulldog, I assume you must be an old "screaming eagle" from your avatar, what vintage?
alexkirkham
well, my ignition problems (a bit of bogging and also hesitancy, with slightly rough idle) were irritating and not solved by a new standard distributor...

I fitted a 123 and immediately everything was solved. Now smooth through the whole rev range. You can easily play with advance / retard, and no more timing adjustment. Was possibly the most cost-effective thing I ever did... And I know very little about engines...

alex

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.