Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nut & Bolts - What are they for 71 Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RestoReese
Can anyone tell me what these are for? I completely stripped my 71 914-4 to restore and in process of reassembly. Can't figure out what these are for. I had them in my Oil-bath Air Filter to store which could be somewhere in its vicinity, or I was just dumb and put them there.

I haven't installed the engine deck lid rain tubes yet and though maybe they are for attaching them to the engine bay.

Pic of my progress on the car included.
Dave_Darling
What size are they? No size ref in the photo makes it tougher to tell. Is the shank of the bolt 4mm? 6mm? 8mm? Other? Are all the parts there separate? Is the square part threaded, or just a washer? Is the round flat bit a washer, or part of the square part? Is the knurled thing a nut (i.e., with a threaded hole through the middle) or a bolt, or something else?

They don't look familiar to me, but I haven't removed every possible bolt from a 914.

--DD
wysri9
I have never seen those and I have had pretty much everything apart on my 75. They look to me like they might have been captive nuts moulded in to a plastic part...???
914e
Those are from the fresh air box, they were either molded or pressed in.
RestoReese
Yes that would make perfect sense and since I couldn't find them when installing just used a hex bolt that threaded into....nothing.

The good news is that I haven't installed the fuel tank because I had a break on one of the Bowden cables and working to resolve.

Thanks for the help.
RestoReese
And they were pressed in from what I recall, they were really easy to remove when I was thinking I might paint the fresh air box. Fortunately just a good cleaning brought it back to near factory.
bdstone914
QUOTE(RestoReese @ Jan 7 2021, 03:16 PM) *

Yes that would make perfect sense and since I couldn't find them when installing just used a hex bolt that threaded into....nothing.

The good news is that I haven't installed the fuel tank because I had a break on one of the Bowden cables and working to resolve.

Thanks for the help.

@RestoReese

If you want to improve the air box mounting install another set of nuts. You can epoxy them in place. There are holes in the flange under the cowl.
The air boxes tend to crack because they are only supported in two places.

Bruce
flat4guy
That was fun - post another odd part for us. haha
RestoReese
Great idea. I thought it was odd they had the holes offset from one side to the other, but based on me tearing the car down to bare metal, I have been baffled (and impressed) at time by the engineering.

If anyone knows what size the flat head screw is for the rear rotors I am open to suggestions. One of mine bent so trying to find a replacement.
bdstone914
QUOTE(RestoReese @ Jan 7 2021, 11:17 PM) *

Great idea. I thought it was odd they had the holes offset from one side to the other, but based on me tearing the car down to bare metal, I have been baffled (and impressed) at time by the engineering.

If anyone knows what size the flat head screw is for the rear rotors I am open to suggestions. One of mine bent so trying to find a replacement.

6mm. Countersunk flat or Phillips head screw.
bdstone914
QUOTE(RestoReese @ Jan 7 2021, 11:17 PM) *

6mm. Countersunk flat or Phillips head screw.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.