Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT bought a shark
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
mb911
I just couldn't pass it up. Needs a new hood, engine wiring, airbox,engine fuel lines but it was so nice and so cheap I will collect parts this summer for next winter project its an 89s4Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
jesse7flying
Nice score. I recently bought an 85 32V 928 and been busy going through its myriad problems. Just one more reason my 914 project is going no where fast. Oh well.
mb911
You wouldn't believe how cheap it was and full documentation but bad because of the small engine (wiring) fire.. now have to fix a bunch of stuff. Gotta look for a 928 dismantler..
Superhawk996
confused24.gif Gotta love how all the Porsche variants go through the life cycle.

New - often bought by those that don't understand the marque but want the brand image & lifestyle associated even though they know or care little about Porsche or it's history.

Slightly used but highly desired, still well maintained

Moderately used and no longer maintained. Proper maintenance and repair are viewed and ridiciously priced and not worth the cost. Non-essential repairs get deferred.

Heavily used & subsequntly purchaed by broke people that want to look well to do. But, they have no way to catch up on all the deferred maintenace and mounting issues and the cars spiral downward. Usually the For Sale ad says "ran when last parked".

Cast off with the type of issues you just found or way worse.

Finally & most importantly, brought back to life by those that appreciate them.

Luckily this one found the right guy that can help bring it back! Nice Score. I've always had a soft spot for the 928 S4's even though they aren't properly air cooled. aktion035.gif
FRUNKenstein
Welcome to the 928 madness. I was just discussing the 928 market with a buddy at our weekly Porsche club breakfast this morning as he is interested in buying one. That’s a beautiful car and congratulations on the purchase.

The car itself is very robust. The Achilles heel has always been electrical problems. Go invest in some Deoxit stock now. You have a great deal of work ahead of you to rework the wiring harness due to the engine fire - that’s why it was bargain priced.

You cannot pay someone to do the work as it would kill you financially. But, there is a very robust support network of forums and parts suppliers. So, you can certainly DIY the repairs in a cost-effective manner.

My recommendation is to decide right now what your goal is for the car: get it running and enjoy it as a driver or completely rehab the car. It is very, very common in the 928 community for someone to buy a car that needs work, and then once they start repairs, they decide that they should do this other repair. And then rehab this other thing. And that leads to the next project, and the next. 5 years and tens of thousands of dollars later, the car is still sitting in the garage in pieces.

So, be forewarned - there is ALWAYS something else to re-work. You just have to determine your goals with the car as they will eat you alive if you aren’t careful.

Here’s a pic of mine. It’s in nice original condition, but certainly has its warts.

Click to view attachment
dt4
I'd love one, I'm looking for one over here in the uk
ddire333
Enjoy the project, S4 is best buy in my view. like you pick up one that had had small engine fire but, and plenty of missed maintenance - cheep, but it has turned out great and i'm looking forward to have to opposite ends of the porsche family to drive.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
doug_b_928
Contratulations! 928s are terrific cars. Bonus that you got binders of FWSMs with the car. I look forward to watching your build thread once it begins.
Jett
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 9 2021, 08:24 AM) *

confused24.gif Gotta love how all the Porsche variants go through the life cycle.

New - often bought by those that don't understand the marque but want the brand image & lifestyle associated even though they know or care little about Porsche or it's history.

Slightly used but highly desired, still well maintained

Moderately used and no longer maintained. Proper maintenance and repair are viewed and ridiciously priced and not worth the cost. Non-essential repairs get deferred.

Heavily used & subsequntly purchaed by broke people that want to look well to do. But, they have no way to catch up on all the deferred maintenace and mounting issues and the cars spiral downward. Usually the For Sale ad says "ran when last parked".

Cast off with the type of issues you just found or way worse.

Finally & most importantly, brought back to life by those that appreciate them.

Luckily this one found the right guy that can help bring it back! Nice Score. I've always had a soft spot for the 928 S4's even though they aren't properly air cooled. aktion035.gif

Congratulations! Enjoy!

Lol first car I bought off eBay was a 79 928 5spd, original paint, but unloved from a maintenance perspective for more than 20 years. After 18 months and 2X the selling price she is a beauty and one of the nicest cars to drive. We have no idea why it appealed to us but we love it.
mb911
The amount of money that was spent on this car from motorsports exhaust, chip, to stuff as simple as paint corrections are amazing. It sold on hagerty(didn't realize they had a for sale section in 2014 for $25,000 and that was before they were really gaining value. Now to find the parts.. if anyone looks at my build thread for the 914 knows I will find a way.. just will take a while.. ultimately will likely end up for sale.. I think biggrin.gif but my kids and I will enjoy the project and the rewards
MM1
Congrats, Ben - keep us posted!
T.Rick6
Hey Ben, I know a good Porsche dismantler that has a few 928's; call Joe Cogbill at CogsCogs.com , he's in North Ga. I could go up and pull what you need. Todd beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(T.Rick6 @ Jan 9 2021, 01:02 PM) *

Hey Ben, I know a good Porsche dismantler that has a few 928's; call Joe Cogbill at CogsCogs.com , he's in North Ga. I could go up and pull what you need. Todd beerchug.gif

Todd that would be awesome.. I need to get the thing in inside storage asap then start the parts list.. on the short list is a hood, engine wiring harness, air filter assembly, cooling fan , maybe injector harness.. that gets me pretty far. I feel like I have talked to him in the past
T.Rick6
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 9 2021, 04:16 PM) *

Todd that would be awesome.. I need to get the thing in inside storage asap then start the parts list.. on the short list is a hood, engine wiring harness, air filter assembly, cooling fan , maybe injector harness.. that gets me pretty far. I feel like I have talked to him in the past

He's an old school 356 racer that builds some awesome trans., he's pretty cool, give him a call, I'll go up next weekend if it's not raining and get what you need. Todd
76-914
Can't blame you. That's a good looking car. beerchug.gif
krazykonrad
That is a great new ride. The shop manuals are also a huge score. A 928 motor in a 914 would be a real next-level V-8 swap. Best of luck with it!

Konrad
Bucci
Call up Mark Anderson. He’s a POC club racer from way back. He always had fast track cars.

http://928intl.com/repair.htm[code]

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 9 2021, 01:16 PM) *

mbseto
Always loved the 928s. Seems like there are tons of deals out there now. It's very tempting but can't afford to lose focus on my current project.
rick 918-S
I second Mark Anderson @ 928 international.
928s are notorious for wiring issues and often end up with hacked repairs by guys that can't read a flow diagram. do not neglect the belt replacement schedule. And don't put a Chevy engine in it.
mb911
Thanks everyone.. so on the short list will be

Engine wiring harness
Injector harness (likely)
Air filter assembly
Oil fill assembly
Water pump
Timing belts
Fan assembly
Fuel lines
Hood

I see new harnesses are like 4k but there has to be some alternatives at the very least I could rebuild a used one or talk @ironhillsrestorations build me one.

The receipts are incredible. It has around 50 receipts since new.
KSCarrera
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Jan 10 2021, 04:19 AM) *

That is a great new ride. The shop manuals are also a huge score. A 928 motor in a 914 would be a real next-level V-8 swap. Best of luck with it!

Konrad

Your wish is...

As seen at the 2019 Retro Classics show in Stuttgart:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
914-300Hemi
Congrats on the purchase and good luck with the build.
jim912928
Yes to 928 International....they are great. I’ve seen a few 928 parts cars on Chicago Craigslist. Here is one in Lake Bluff for 500 bucks...

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/pts/d/la...7257995909.html

Not and S4 but many interchangeable parts like hoods!

Jim

p.s......my shark:

Click to view attachment
mlindner
And Ben, if you want to go fast talk to Kim Crumb 928 expert. Great guy and a super fast driver. I walked the track with him at Mont-Tremblant PCA parade in I think 1999 and also great time on the track his 928 against my 993 Carrara S....he won. great memories.
mepstein
S4’s are bringing good money and keep going up. I bet it will be very nice when you are finished rebuilding the engine area.

Back in the 80’s, my girlfriends dad took me for a ride in his new 928. He opened it up on a farm road and we were going 120 but it felt like 50. Completely opposite of my rusty 914.
burton73
Ben,

Enjoy the 928. My Wrench in Anaheim, Greg Brown ( Precision Motorworks)
714 -8799072 who is really the Guru on 928s on the West Coast, says that most good used 928 are $15,000 away from being a nice car. I got my 86.5 928 from Maryland with 44,000 miles with all docks from day one with the help of a couple of great 914 Brothers

Bob B
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Duckduckgo for 928otorsports. I was in his shop and he had a board for making new harnesses.
mb911
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 10 2021, 06:48 PM) *

Duckduckgo for 928otorsports. I was in his shop and he had a board for making new harnesses.

He advertised them at 3k for an injector harness.. that is more then I paid for the car. I am going to try to find something used first
Root_Werks
Nice score Ben! There are some good deals to be had on 928's. I had an 81' about 18 years ago. Risky Biz color.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Jan 9 2021, 10:19 PM) *

Konrad

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ic=7725&hl=

There are two other cars across the pond and one done on California that at last check resides out east someplace.
flipb
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 9 2021, 10:41 AM) *

Strange, I'm not familiar with the 826.

av-943.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 11 2021, 05:08 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 10 2021, 06:48 PM) *

He advertised them at 3k for an injector harness.. that is more then I paid for the car. I am going to try to find something used first

That's what I've always been told is the achilles heel of the 928, the wiring. I had a mechanic tell me one time the level of wiring is equivalent to a Lear Jet. It can be sorted, with patience and time. They are very cool cars, worth the work. And you can always live out your risky business dreams, or Tony Montana, lots of movie work, the 928.
Maltese Falcon
Mark Anderson over at 928 International will be a good parts resource for your Resto !
mb911
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jan 12 2021, 02:32 PM) *

Mark Anderson over at 928 International will be a good parts resource for your Resto !

And it looks like he is an hour and a half away from me.
mb911
Take that back looks like I was think 928 motorsports which is close by
mlindner
I like 826.....eight cylinders, two door and six speed may be...works for me. Have fun Ben. Mark
Mueller
Great looking car Ben.

I have never owned a 928 (besides scale models), I have however owned a 928 engine. I think it was an early 80's model nothing special.

Paid a few hundred for it, then it sat in a storage unit that I must have sunk another few hundred into. I finally sold it at an Automotion swap meet for $100 or so.

I didn't even know what a 914 was at time so no thoughts of swaps.

JeffBowlsby
Welcome to the Sharkfest. A bunch of us 914+928 owners here, lots in common.

I went simple, got an early OB, much less complicated than the later years, easier to maintain.

1981 with AT, <40K miles, I could not pass it up. Original paint, full leather interior, well maintained and not expensive.

A fun car, but if you are taller than about 5-10, hold out for a non-sunroof model.

Mark Anderson/928 International is the go to for used and new parts, there are others too.

Good luck with those harnesses they are spendy if you can even locate them, as are most 928 parts. Some of the later models have two ECUs for the fuel injection. wacko.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 12 2021, 02:51 PM) *

Take that back looks like I was think 928 motorsports which is close by

No worries Ben,
Captain Carl in Neenah Wi. is a 928 (Motorsports) wizard as well; mostly new OE parts, and Carl's innovative 928 goodies !
racerbvd
Click to view attachment
Amphicar770
Just a few years ago you could buy really nice ones for teener money.

I've always wanted one but they do scare me. Definitely orders of magnitude more complex than the 914.

At the time I was seriously considering buying one I would follow the 928 forums. It was not uncommon to hear people boasting about how they completed a 300 mile trip without a breakdown. If that is their definition of reliability I figured these could be a never ending money pit.

But yes, they look great.
Maltese Falcon
...and you can't turbo a 928 ¡
From an early '80s "VW & Porsche" article on our boosted 928 systems.
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Congratulations Ben, these are great cars. I have an ‘84 with ‘88 engine and front suspension and it is flipping awesome.

These are capable of intergalactic miles if properly cared (which isn’t really that difficult since build quality is outstanding).
mb911
Rented a storage spot and ordered a hood, wiring harness, fan assembly, airfilter from Mark Anderson. He was great to deal with and good prices. The pictures look worse then it is.. though it's not a quick fix it is fixable Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
blowtorch.gif yikes.gif
mb911
And some replacement harnesses.. I need to check them out and repair as needed but nice to be all set.. I think I might need another harness yet but close. Click to view attachment
ddire333
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 22 2021, 01:21 AM) *

And some replacement harnesses.. I need to check them out and repair as needed but nice to be all set.. I think I might need another harness yet but close. Click to view attachment

That is much worse than mine was, but all do able. Looks like it might have been the main positive lead to the charging post that caused it, its not fused and can contact the frame, (the protective sleeve cracks) you get alot of heat fast, and return fuel line is right beside. common enough cause on 928's
mb911
QUOTE(ddire333 @ Jan 22 2021, 09:12 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 22 2021, 01:21 AM) *

That is much worse than mine was, but all do able. Looks like it might have been the main positive lead to the charging post that caused it, its not fused and can contact the frame, (the protective sleeve cracks) you get alot of heat fast, and return fuel line is right beside. common enough cause on 928's

Likely for sure.. I need to make sure I have all the harnesses I need. Going to make sure the ones going in are in good condition and repair what needs to be done.. I can't wait for spring to at least wash off all the nasty fire damage.
mb911
Oh and I am the king of doable lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.