Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The ultimate Subaru engine swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
soloracer
No, I'm not dropping the rotary swap it's just that I found this on e-bay and it is so tempting. I hope someone here ends up with it and can then post running videos for the rest of us to enjoy. Take a look:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

If the link doesn't work do a search on e-bay for item #7986252727

biggrin.gif
TravisNeff
There's also a 2.5 STI engine on the bay as well. With full harness and ECU.
scottb
ooooh! only 185 miles from my house to that zip code......

hey thacher! would that thing fit?

if i recall a 6 will fit but the radiator will need to be in the front trunk.
scotty914
yes it would fit

and there is an after market turo that will push it to 320 or so safely
TravisNeff
Eric Tischer had done the 6 swap and documented it on his website (don't have the address though). You can take a look at his pictures to get an idea if the engine bay radiator would work or not.
soloracer
Scott: Who makes the turbo kit? Before I bought the 3 rotor I was very seriously considering the EG33. I wanted around 400 hp but was having trouble finding anyone who had bumped up the power of the EG33. I always thought this engine had potential but the lack of an aftermarket of go fast goodies turned me off. Why isn't there more done to this engine?
scotty914
i dont know who built the kit i read about it in a magazine article years ago, the article was on a guy who was off road racing his svx, the guy got 300 horse na with out a problem . then the guy was getting beat by buggies running the old 1.8 turbo and he found it. IIRC it was not speced for the 3.3, i think it might have been an upgrade for the 1.8 that he was running at full tilt and could only get it to 7 psi and was close to 420 on the dyno. that is where i came up with the exta 100 hp or so

i dont think he was worried about the turbo lasting under racing conditions thou.
lotus_65
so the sale price was $1,125.

i lack perspective, was that a good deal? would it take another $2500 to install?
soloracer
I think that was an awesome deal. When I was looking at them a couple years ago they were all closer to $2000 US and that didn't include the wiring harness or ECU.

As for the other costs to install it should be no different than doing a V8 conversion. I think that the $2500 would probably be the cheapest you get away with though. So depending on how much you can do yourself and how fancy you like to go will determine how much more it would cost. (Ie: Make your own cooling set up for a few hundred dollars or buy the Renegade Hybrid one for $1100, etc.)
CptTripps
The Renegade Suby-Kit is $1995. That's for a 4-boxer though.

I'm in the extra-extra early planning stages of such an undertaking. I have found SEVERAL 250-300hp WRX motors with the turbo and ECU for under $1,800. So I'm looking at around $4K for the Suby-Swap.
lotus_65
yup, that's just about what i thought. 4 grand...
but assuming the tub's good, what suspension upgrades would you *have* to do to make things balanced and safe?
CptTripps
That's the great part about the Subaru engine...it's about the same size/weight as the stock engine...just with a lot more balls.

lotus_65
schweet. thanks for the knowledge!
Kinetiq
Greetings 914'ers!

I'm glad I found this site, and hopefully I can help you all become more Subaru Engine savvy! There is a turbo kit, as well as a supercharger kit available for the EG33 SVX engine. The turbo kit can be found at http://www.forcedairtech.com, and the supercharger is available at http://www.ecutune.com. ECUTune also makes a variety of computer upgrades for this engine.

It was my company who had the engine auction listed that was linked in the first post. We've got another listed right now, and it would be awesome if one of you guys could make a super-fast 914 with it!

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=7994017687

If you guys have any input at all, please let us know. We've been SVX enthusiasts for a while, but have only recently become involved with this 914 scene. I'd love to learn about these cars, and hopefully browsing this forum will help!

Thanks!

Mike
KinetiqSystems
Brent
Welcome to the 914 scene, Mike. smilie_pokal.gif
scotty914
QUOTE (Kinetiq @ Aug 18 2005, 04:08 AM)

but have only recently become involved with this 914 scene. I'd love to learn about these cars, and hopefully browsing this forum will help!

Thanks!

Mike
KinetiqSystems

welcome mike, if you look at the sticky at the top of the page you will see the east coast cook out, it is on sept 17 near phily, my 914 with a 2.5 na will be there.

my car is unusal because my radiator is in the engine bay
914rrr
I talked to a guy from a British WRX rally team a few ago who called the place I used to work. He told me the 4's were much more durable than the 6's, and these wasn't nearly as many 'go-fast bits' for it.
Kinetiq
QUOTE (914rrr @ Aug 19 2005, 05:25 PM)
I talked to a guy from a British WRX rally team a few ago who called the place I used to work. He told me the 4's were much more durable than the 6's, and these wasn't nearly as many 'go-fast bits' for it.

There are quite a few performance modifications available for the H-4 models, however modifications for the H-6 engines are becoming more common every day. Some companys have begun developing improvments for the EG33 recently.

As far as the H-4 engines being more durable than the H-6 engines... That's simply not true. The EG33 engine is regarded as one of the most durable engines subaru has ever designed. They simply do not fail except in cases of gross neglect. I drive a 92 SVX on a daily basis which has an EG33. The car has 210,000 miles and never misses a beat. The EG33 is a fabulous engine. This, of course, does not mean that the 4 cyl engines are bad. All subaru engines are very reliable and run for a long, long time.

I noticed that a member of your forum has done a conversion using the ER-27 engine from a subaru XT6. This engine is of the previous generation "EA" series, and is not as reliable as the newer generation "EJ" series like the EG33.

You can find out more about the EG33 SVX Engine by going to this link: http://www.svxengine.741.com/ . This is part of a special magazine "Road and Track" published at the time of the SVX's introduction. It gives a fairly detaied look at the EG33's features and durability.

Mike
Kinetiq
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Aug 18 2005, 09:53 AM)
QUOTE (Kinetiq @ Aug 18 2005, 04:08 AM)

but have only recently become involved with this 914 scene.  I'd love to learn about these cars, and hopefully browsing this forum will help!

Thanks!

Mike
KinetiqSystems

welcome mike, if you look at the sticky at the top of the page you will see the east coast cook out, it is on sept 17 near phily, my 914 with a 2.5 na will be there.

my car is unusal because my radiator is in the engine bay

Scott-

I'm hoping to make it to this get-together, and would love to see your car! I have family in the area, so hopefully I can work something out!

Mike
Matt Monson
One technical tidbit to add for those that might want to use an SVX 6 and then add some boost. The early SVX engines share the same bore as the 91-94 EJ22T, which is the turbo motor that was found in the fairly limited production USDM Legacy Turbos. The beauty of this is if you want to boost an SVX motor, you can swap in the slugs from the EJ22T and drop your compression down into the 8's.

Brand new takeout Ej22T pistons are readily available from Crawford Performance and Axis Power Racing because they are doing monster builds using the Ej22t bottom end with new forged slugs. They sell of the takes outs for something ridiculous like $100 for a set of 4.

And one other thing to add for those more interested in a four cylinder. The EJ20G from the 89-94 JDM Legacy Turbos is readily available from importers for around $650 for the motor. They will include an ECU and wiring for a few hundred dollars more. That engine is a closed deck 2.0l engine with under piston oil squirter that was very de-tuned from the factory. They made 200ps on the auto and 220ps on the manual. If you can find a manual, it already carries the Vf-8 turbo, that can deliver 300+hp if you turn up the boost. It also comes with an AWIC. I have a couple of these engines and they are bulletproof motors. And if anyone reading this need wiring diagrams and pinouts, just let me know...
Kinetiq
QUOTE (Matt Monson @ Aug 20 2005, 11:28 AM)
One technical tidbit to add for those that might want to use an SVX 6 and then add some boost. The early SVX engines share the same bore as the 91-94 EJ22T, which is the turbo motor that was found in the fairly limited production USDM Legacy Turbos. The beauty of this is if you want to boost an SVX motor, you can swap in the slugs from the EJ22T and drop your compression down into the 8's.

Brand new takeout Ej22T pistons are readily available from Crawford Performance and Axis Power Racing because they are doing monster builds using the Ej22t bottom end with new forged slugs. They sell of the takes outs for something ridiculous like $100 for a set of 4.

And one other thing to add for those more interested in a four cylinder. The EJ20G from the 89-94 JDM Legacy Turbos is readily available from importers for around $650 for the motor. They will include an ECU and wiring for a few hundred dollars more. That engine is a closed deck 2.0l engine with under piston oil squirter that was very de-tuned from the factory. They made 200ps on the auto and 220ps on the manual. If you can find a manual, it already carries the Vf-8 turbo, that can deliver 300+hp if you turn up the boost. It also comes with an AWIC. I have a couple of these engines and they are bulletproof motors. And if anyone reading this need wiring diagrams and pinouts, just let me know...

All excellent points! Just to clarify, the EJ22t pistons will work in all EG33 SVX engines, not just the early ones. There were no mechanical changes to the EG33 over its 5 year run.

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.