Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm letting the 914 Cat out of the bag!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ConeDodger
So every year for probably 10 years, I've been bothering Mark Whitesell about parts I need to get my 914 as close to perfect as I can. Heck, I've even bugged him about parts for my 240Z and 944 and he comes through. Well, he's done it again.

I've been doing the PCA Concours events for a few years. I'm trying to be more "present" as I have been a board member and then I disappeared for a few years. My local region doesn't autocross or do track days and I think 'wine tours' are lame so... But, the Concours events are fun because you see the gang, they have a picnic, and my car always wins! No kidding. I think it is probably because the 914 is in a class pretty much by itself and my car is kind of OK???

Anyway, I've lost points in the same spot for 10 years and I've bugged Mark and Matt about making this part forever (at least a decade right Mark?)

So, yesterday when I got home from work, I found a box on the front steps. What could it be? I checked the label and it says it's from Mark Whitesell. Hmmm. Mark has sent me random boxes before when he wanted me to try something. Well, I am certainly going to try this! See if you can figure out what it is. I will tell you this, It's flawless!

I'm seeing a sold out group buy on the horizon!
ConeDodger
I was going to tag @Mikey914 but I see him sniffing around this thread.
orthobiz
Looks beautiful. I hate putting those screws in, they wiggle around a lot, seem to miss the mark (for me), maybe using a new piece will give a more direct trajectory...

Paul
JamesM
Looks like ill be spending more money soon!
TJB/914
WTF.gif

It's a wine box assembly to put wine in popcorn[1].gif when you attend local PCA Concourse gathering?? Now you will need a trunk rack to mount it on w00t.gif

Wild ass guess confused24.gif Can't wait to find out!!

Tom
ConeDodger
It's actually kind of frustrating. Mark is always so excited about new products and when he calls I must admit I am tempted! But the only thing I really needed (read NEEDED) was that elusive perfect roll bar pad. Now to head down to the warehouse and put this sucker on!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Jan 10 2021, 03:48 PM) *

WTF.gif

It's a wine box assembly to put wine in popcorn[1].gif when you attend local PCA Concourse gathering?? Now you will need a trunk rack to mount it on w00t.gif

Tom

av-943.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(JamesM @ Jan 10 2021, 03:46 PM) *

Sorry James sad.gif
scallyk9
My Bumblebee desperately needs this. The worst part on the car. Wonderful to see this post.
Mikey914
Rob,
Make sure to get a close up of the texture.

AA has been making these and we do stock them, but the texture is off. That's why we made these. Yes it has been about a 24 month journey, but finally, substructure, fit and texture make it the closest to OEM available. Rob can let us know how close he thinks we got.
wes
Looks great I need one too. Group buy?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 10 2021, 04:32 PM) *

Rob,

AA has been making these and we do stock them, but the texture is off. That's why we made these. Yes it has been about a 24 month journey, but finally, substructure, fit and texture make it the closest to OEM available. Rob can let us know how close he thinks we got.

Good point. This texture is identical to what I am taking off with the exception of the original being dried and curling at edges and the texture worn from 45 years of being rubbed on to keep it beautiful.
Jett
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 10 2021, 11:32 AM) *

Rob,

This is great. I have on of the AA pads but it is a touch off, and would love to get this right.
MM1
Great job, Mark!
Rleog
Could definitely use a new one.
jim_hoyland
Sweet nice addition for the 914
I have tan upholstery; any chances ?
pete000
I think that these will out sell the dash tops ! Yes I need one too.

Mikey914
These are made from a self skinning expanding foam that pulls the texture off the mold. One of the reasons it has taken so long to make these. The main reason is that when it expands and contracts and causes the vinyl (OEM version) to split. This is the same way we make our dash tops too.

The problem is that we do not have a "tan" foam. It should accept tan vinyl paint. It may be possible to wrap one, but I will have to try.
yeahmag
Need!
mmichalik
I need one of these as well. Just starting to put.my interior back together and, to be honest, I don't even know where my best up.stock.one is.
Are they available now?
rick 918-S
Need two. Awesome!
ValcoOscar
Count me IN on GB...please

Thank you 914Rubber team first.gif

Oscar
JamesM
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 10 2021, 11:56 AM) *

QUOTE(JamesM @ Jan 10 2021, 03:46 PM) *

Sorry James sad.gif

i dont mind when its on car stuff smile.gif
Mikey914
Pending Rob’s review we will be opening up a GB thread. Just wanted to get some feedback 1st. Thought it might be awhile before we hear from him, but yes, the cat is out of bag.
iankarr
Amazing work. Looks phenomenal! I'm in for 2...
914_teener
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Jan 10 2021, 11:48 AM) *

WTF.gif

Tom

av-943.gif

I about snorted out my screw top 8 dollar Argentinian Malbec from my nose when I read this.

Classic!

lol-2.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 11 2021, 10:13 PM) *

Pending Rob’s review we will be opening up a GB thread. Just wanted to get some feedback 1st. Thought it might be awhile before we hear from him, but yes, the cat is out of bag.

Sorry, I have to go to the warehouse and dig the car out from under the cover to install it. Today got hijacked. Tomorrow should be better! blink.gif
76-914
Count me in.
dt4
I dont know if mine is the same as this Mark but I fitted the one from the consignment that arrived over the holidays and it fitted great
The self tapping screws were a challenge to locate but they are having to travel a fair old way
I found using a bradall to establish the position of the hole first gave me a clue as to where I was aiming
beerchug.gif
tscrihfield
In for the GB when the time comes! My car is going to look spectacular once I give Mark all my retirement $$$

LOL

bigkensteele
Mark, did you have to find a NOS donor like you did for the dash?
Mikey914
Slightly different process on these. We couldn't find an acceptable donor to use for the tooling. It would have been much easier, and less expensive if we could have.
ConeDodger
Ok so it is going to take a couple trips to the warehouse to get this installed but I have some initial thoughts.

First of all, the texture is pretty much pattern-perfect. It is more pronounced but again, my roll bar pad is 45 years old and has been rubbed on a good deal to make it shiny, and it is shiny. My foam under the pad is very hard with age and frankly, my impression is that once I get it off, I could use it as a murder weapon. My vinyl is chipped and cracked in a few places and as I've said, the concours judges home right in on it! Peckerheads! mad.gif The pad on the new 914Rubber roll bar pad is soft enough that if you actually contact it in an accident, it might save your life rather than be the cause of death. Avoid either, but it's nice to know its softer! This should be an easy install but I don't have tools at the warehouse and the screwdriver I brought was a little too big. I have a class tomorrow (maintaining medical certifications even though I retired) but I will give it another shot on Thursday.

By the way, I have two covers on the 914 at the warehouse and STILL!!! it has a fine layer of dust underneath! mad.gif
JeffBowlsby
This looks great Mark! So many of us need these.
mmichalik
@Mikey914 what's the status on the group buy?
I need to get one for my 75 and I'm holding off, unless it's a ways away.
Mike
tyfighter123
I am in for a group buy a well.
Nacho
I'm in for a group buy piratenanner.gif

Nacho
windforfun
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jan 10 2021, 10:28 AM) *

Looks beautiful. I hate putting those screws in, they wiggle around a lot, seem to miss the mark (for me), maybe using a new piece will give a more direct trajectory...

Paul

One possibility might be to mark the inside surfaces of the pad with "stock" size sheet metal screws without heads that are partially screwed into the body or chassis holes. One would then align the pad on the naked roll bar & puncture the pad's back surfaces at all the mounting points. One would then use a sharp drill bit or section of coat hanger to make a reverse hole through the pad foam to better direct the final attachment screws. This would probably take two people & a few beers. Or screws with heads mostly inserted with typewriter ribbon ink on the heads. Whatever...
Mikey914
We will be including larger screws that screw right in. The big problem with removal is the OEM screws are a #1 Phillips and most folks strip them out trying to remove.

The new screws we are providing (with screw covers) have more meat in the head allowing for a #2 bit to fit nicely and will be much easier to remove.
I'm awaiting Rob's pictures to start the GB I sent him the last one we can make until I get more material in.
horizontally-opposed
Also interested in the group buy, and thanks for making these!

Would love to see more pics when convenient.
wes
In for the group buy, thanks.
Mikey914
Rob now has the screws and can use them for the install and offer feedback, but these should work well
bob164
I am in for the group buy.
PCH
I'm also in for the group buy.
Pappy1975
I am in for the group buy!
Thanks Mark
914Sixer
Down for one.
Wew
I’m in cheer.gif
Jack Standz
Please include me for one for sure, maybe two.
bahnzai
I have interest too! I don’t think I saw a guesstimate on price yet?
double-a
count me in too
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.