Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help with building a solid suspension
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DrifterJay
Ok, I am in Iraq as most of you know. But I will be hitting my car hard when I come home. But the correct way, with good shit. Right now I am looking at suspension options.....This car will mainly be an autox car...and occasional weekend screw off car. I do not car how stiff it is. My passengers can suffer for all I care. Right now I have purchased Bilstein rears, turbo tie rods, and solid Tarett trans mounts...I was wondering what I should go with for the rear springs, front torsion bars, and front shocks. I will be converting to 5 lug, with the intention of using Eric Shea's front and rear conversion. My brake calipers will be stock 4 all the way around (with the intention of upgrading to s calipers or volvos later in the front). I want to run pagid orange pads, a 19mm Master C., a T fitting in the rear, and stainless lines all the way around. Also I intend to run Falken Azenis (205 R50) all around. Sorry for being so long...just wanted to give you a good idea...

I will say my question again...since It got lost somewhere in the middle of my description.
What Rear Springs? (I can deal with 180+, I am not a pussy, lol)
What Front Torsion bars ? 21-23???
Front Shocks?
Also I am going for a front Tarett bar? Anything against that?
skline
Jared, I have a set of 165 springs here for you if you want them. That should be plenty stiff for what you want.
DrifterJay
well then, I may just owe you some mexican or something when I get back for those springs...well see, always up for saving money. biggrin.gif
skline
QUOTE (DrifterJay @ Jul 17 2005, 11:54 AM)
well then, I may just owe you some mexican or something when I get back for those springs...well see, always up for saving money. biggrin.gif

Your mom is Mexican isnt she? wub.gif
TravisNeff
I run 22mm torsion bars, 22mm sway bar, 250lb springs. On good roads it is great (az has great roads), broken pavement gets pretty rough with cowl shake. I am pretty happy with it.

If you are getting a tarret bar I would shoot for 21mm torsion bars, 200lb rear springs with the approach of less spring and more swaybar.
nebreitling
travis's setup sounds well-balanced, if stiff.

i'm running stock t-bars, a 22mm sway (set half), 200# rears. rear bilsteins, front konis. car is balanced as is.

i've got some 22mm t-bars laying around, but i don't know if they will help me any -- and i imagine i'll have to step up to 250s or more in the rear to get rid of the push they introduce....

n
MattR
Hey Jay, when are you coming back?

As far as front struts, you could try Koni reds. Thats what Im running, and so is Aaron. They're adjustable too.
SLITS
You, A-aron Admin, MattR all save your money....you're all gonna get whipped by an old man in a stocker anyway.
Brad Roberts
Dont run big front bars and a Tarret bar. Stay stock with the Tbars if you plan to run the Tarret. Even on full soft.. with large Tbars and the Tarret, you wont like it (at all)

Stay away from the 180's. Use a 175 or 200 Eibach or H+R

I would also lose the Bilsteins for something adjustable (KONI)

I know you are being paid really well over there... save your money.

B
DrifterJay
sources for those rear springs online? As well as the shocks. Paragon lists Konis, but they dont specify reds or yellows...I know...I should email them...
Brad Roberts
How about emailing me?

Or sales@914world.com ??

B
Joe Ricard
If you are serious about Autocrossing Koni's all around.
A wise man told me to ditch the rear sway bar and it was the best thing I ever did for the handling.
stock T-bars 22 Welt front bar set @ 1/2 . 150lb coilover rears with 1 spring rubber to cheap to buy stiffer springs. front koni's 3/4 and rears just off full soft.
My car over steers at on one course and understeers at a different course. confused24.gif
Got to have adjustable shocks to dial out under/over steer inbetween runs.
Brad Roberts
Yep. And the wise young guy's who actually adjust their cars per event.. run rear bars.

It helps to have a LSD, but all my cars stay flat enough that they dont lift the inside rear wheel.

B
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Jul 17 2005, 06:40 PM)
Yep. And the wise young guy's who actually adjust their cars per event.. run rear bars.

It helps to have a LSD, but all my cars stay flat enough that they dont lift the inside rear wheel.

B

Uh yea must be the wise young studs with money falling out of all thier pockets.
So give a smokin deal on a LSD .......
I started keeping track of the settings for each Autocross sight by using a "dope book". Getting faster with less screwing around between runs.
Brad Roberts
Hum.

I could sell you a Guard at cost just to get one in your hands.

I have NO idea what surfaces you run on. You are correct. The rear bar is not for everyone.

The whole idea of a rear bar is adjustability. Pop it off if you dont need it, but zip tie the link up so you can install it quickly if you need more rear spring rate at ant given event.

B
Trekkor
I really like the feel of the rear bar hooked up.
My car is very flat and predictable.
Awesome rotation.

My problem is not going fast during the competition. I wait for the untimed fun runs at the end of the day. headbang.gif

KT
sean_v8_914
my V8 had wicked oversteer with the rear bar so I popped a link off. did I forget to do something? i will use it if I knew how to dial it all into teh equation I have LSD, driving.gif externally adj konis, stock sway, stock t bars and 185 progresive rear
jhadler
The formulas all sounds pretty similar...

Running 21 mm Torsion bars, 21 mm Welt front bar, 200# rear coils on adjustable Koni's at all four corners. The car was very well balanced, and very neutral. I hope to do more fine tuning of the setup once the motor's truning on it's own again...

Adjustability for competition is key. So far, the adjustability of the front bar and the shocks has helped. But I really need to go to double adjustable shocks for more control over the car dynamics. The Koni's only adjust the rebound, and there are definitely occasions that I'd like to change the compression damping as well...

I've considered the rear bar, but I'm concerned about wheel spin. I might try going down in spring rate if I put the rear bar on there.

Anyone know of any cheap limited slip differentials lying around? smile.gif

Too bad my competition (Bimmers) can change thier gearing and add limited slips with ease... dry.gif

-Josh2
nebreitling
josh -- it was my impression that the koni yellows adjusted both rebound and compression... be interested in hearing what others say.

n
TravisNeff
Yellows are rebound only
nebreitling
good to know, thanks beer.gif
TravisNeff
no problemo'
jhadler
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Jul 18 2005, 12:59 PM)
josh -- it was my impression that the koni yellows adjusted both rebound and compression... be interested in hearing what others say.

n

Oh I -wish-!

Nope... Off the shelf Koni yellow's are rebound only...

-Josh2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.