Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to fix leaky fuel injector
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxster914
My 71 Irish Green 914 has a leaky fuel injector. I would try to fix it but I am not finding a lot out there on how to fix it.

Here is a video of the leak as I turn the ignition on:

https://youtu.be/Ts1pcdHf_kg

You can see that it leaks out of the rubber boot and then drips onto the tin.

Can anyone help me with how to videos or point to some resources here or somewhere on the web?

You've all been great with my other problems.
mepstein
If it's leaking because of the rubber hose/loose clamp, it's an easy fix. If it's leaking at the wired connector, it's trash.
JeffBowlsby
Fantastically detailed video

You will need to let it dry and pull back the boot to expose what is going on within the boot, to visualize the leakage path. record the video again in that configuration.
Arno914
I had the same issue with my injectors. The plastic is originally molded over the metal housing. NO way to separate or reseal this in case it is leaking there. Long time storage (not running) causes the internal o-rings to dry out and the fuel might leak between the plastic and the injector.

(Note the corrosion under the yellow plastic. 914´s even rust here…)

IPB Image
cary
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jan 10 2021, 09:51 PM) *

Fantastically detailed video

You will need to let it dry and pull back the boot to expose what is going on within the boot, to visualize the leakage path. record the video again in that configuration.

What he said ...............

You can take it out of engine and spray into paint cup.
boxster914
Arno914, I think you are right.

Click to view attachment

I've drawn green lines at the junction between the black gasket and the metal part of the injector where the gas is seeping out. (Why are yours yellow?)

So can I just buy this:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-Fue...ector-srch.html

and pop it in to solve the problem?
brant
yellow injectors were the 1.7 Djet injectors

2.0 injectors were green usually... and some black ones

1.8 injectors were white

orthobiz
I never looked at exactly where, but a couple of my cars leak in the Spring. Leave it overnight and then no more leaks for the warm half of the year here in Michigan.

Paul
JamesM
cant tell for sure but it looks like its leaking from the body itself (and your hose looks pretty fresh) in which case the only "fix" is replacement of the injector.

Interestingly enough, one of my 914s has a couple injectors that leak at the body upon starting the car up after a prolong period of inactivity however they eventually stop after a period of being pressurized and then are usually good/leak free for the rest of the season. Its like the old seal just needed a little conditioning to seal up again.

As we are talking about leaking gasoline here though I don't recommend any action other than replacing the injector.

Also, if its not something you are already doing... always run Ethanol Free gas unless absolutely un-avoidable. I know running ethanol compatible rubber lines provides some level of insurance but i don't think anyone has ever analyzed our 50 year old injectors to determine their level of degradation from ethanol and i suspect is it not great given this was not on anyone's radar back then.
JamesM
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 11 2021, 02:34 PM) *

yellow injectors were the 1.7 Djet injectors

2.0 injectors were green usually... and some black ones

1.8 injectors were white

I haven't seen black 2.0s but i have seen black 1.7s as well. When in doubt, check the part numbers.
914_teener
QUOTE(boxster914 @ Jan 11 2021, 02:31 PM) *

Arno914, I think you are right.

Click to view attachment

I've drawn green lines at the junction between the black gasket and the metal part of the injector where the gas is seeping out. (Why are yours yellow?)

So can I just buy this:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-Fue...ector-srch.html

and pop it in to solve the problem?

If you have one that is leaking and you have never had them cleaned and tested now would be a good time.

Take all four out and send them out to be tested. There are several places that do this ....searchable here. Think I used Witchhunter. Cost about $200. The risk of a fire....it is well worth the price.

The flow rates for your engine is what is important and also that the pintle is working properly and spray pattern as well. Most of the flow rates are still available IIRC.
The 1.8 injector has a difference impendence so if you have D-jet you can't use those.

If you Winterize your car I'd put a good additive in the tank which displaces the water in the tank.
mepstein
Mr Injector does a great job testing and cleaning injectors for $17.50 each + ship. He includes new hose and seals.

There was a seller on the samba selling nos yellow injectors for $50 each.
wonkipop
for anyone with 1.8s

1.8s run same injectors as 75-76 beetles. identical. also run the same injectors as a bus 75-79 and vanagon 80-83 except the shape of injector feed hoses are different on the bus. change over the hoses. same goes for 77-79 beetles. just in case anyone is ever looking for a set.

provides alternative lines of inquiry when you are looking up injectors for sale.

some literature says 73 only 1.7s ran 1.8 injector even though D-Jet.
maybe california only 1.7s?

bosch part # 0 028 150 112.

you can also use 0 028 150 114 (bus) and 0 028 150 116 (77-79 beetle) and change hoses.

all no longer made by bosch. there are still injectors out there for sale from time to time. make sure still sealed in plastic bags and with caps on. still at reasonable prices for genuine items when you can track them down. went through exercise 12 months ago got a set of un-used bosch from a guy in USA who had a stash for his beetle. work beautifully.

i did try and get my old injectors cleaned and tested. but they just would not work once installed. suspect pintals had corroded and they just stuck up again between cleaning and installation. have a feeling that if i had got them to work - sooner or later they would have leaked as the one being discussed here anyway.

you know when a hose has split. will usually fire a stream of gas up into the air towards the ceiling. makes you think of fire extinguishers.

my cold start injector is still good. just as well. have noticed these seem to be a very expensive item if you can find them. maybe someone here knows a reasonable source/alternative for those. was thinking of trying to get one to have as a spare/backup.
JeffBowlsby
But wait...there's more alternatives, not including aftermarket:
wonkipop
don't tell the alfa guys mr. b.
they will hoover up whats left of the planet's scattered vw stashes.

there is still local stashes to supply the merc ones down here.
enough of the FIs are still on the road - those cars resist any form of death.
handy if you own a FI 2.0 in aus.

lifes harder with whimp 1.8.
914_teener
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 11 2021, 05:58 PM) *

OT.

Love your avitar name. Went to Bells a few years ago...seems like decades.

Love down under.
wonkipop
QUOTE(914_teener @ Jan 11 2021, 11:46 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 11 2021, 05:58 PM) *

OT.

Love your avitar name. Went to Bells a few years ago...seems like decades.

Love down under.

well done on the interp mate.
wobbly on the surfboard and skateboard these days.
old type 3 squareback i had was surf vehicle par excellence back in those days.
gear in the front trunk. sleep in the back.
surfboard inside so no one could steal it.
much better than the holden sandmans or shaggin wagens.

i've heard a lot of guys out at winkipop wear crash helmets these days.
trick-e
A little OT. Never thought about the internal seals drying out. That said, are there recommendations on longer term storage, to avoid that?
wonkipop
not O T at all.

i have done this twice with my 914.
once in 89, where the reported period of being statically stored was 5 years.
the injectors were shot and other fuel lines too.
it leaked fuel everywhere.
back then you could get all the bits easy. injectors etc.
esp in the usa where i was.

and again i did it a second time, for 16 years to myself. dumbo.
sorry that should have been in capital letters. DUMBO.

basically the answer to your question is in my humble opinion no.
its either a virgin part and its never seen fuel and its been sealed in plastic or if its in the car, use the car and use it weekly or fortnightly and keep everything moist and working and not corroding.

i run several different cars down here in upside down land.
including a citroen xm.
the whole car is hydraulic.
the works. suspension. brakes, steering.
there are so many seals i should own an o ring factory.
and i make sure i at least start it weekly, pump it up and i try try try to drive it.

the minute you let them stand it all goes to pieces.

and once fuel has been through it, how do you clean it to remove residues.
which we all know - turns into something else real nasty as well.

i'm rebuilding some fuel pumps at the moment, and i am still thinking about testing them. once i run fuel through them to test i have to work out how to clean them.
because one of them i intend to bag as a spare/
it is an interesting problem?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.