Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Celso
Hey everyone, 1st time posting here.

I recently picked up a white '71 that used to be green but is now white. I have no info on which white was used and I was hoping you could point me in the right direction. I picked up a pint of Carrera white mid-2000s color and I will spray it onto a card to see if its a match. I don't think these cars ever came in white, except for the '74 can am version but that was more of a creamy white. If I continue to order paint on a trial and error basis, it could get expensive. Has anyone used one of those paint matching hand held doohickies with any positive results?

Thanks,
Celso
mepstein
I had a stock '75 in white but 914's have always had white in their color chart. Some nice white sixes are out there.

Go to a good auto paint supplier. They have scanners that can get very close.

welcome.png
914forme
Local paint supplier can match off a part. Take in am Eyebrow, or light lid and have them match it up. Clean it up, get the containment's off the sample. They can do it and do it all the time.

Bigger question is what was it sprayed with.

Lets hope it was not Krylon or Rustoleum type product. From experience these will be fun to deal with under any automotive finish. But if it is, you might have a perfect match from Lowes or HD.

We used to paint our race cars with that white, just for the simple fact you could get it back to the same white no matter what you did. Simple fast, move on.

welcome.png
cary
That's really all you have.
Then the shop (body or paint store) will spray out 3-4 variants to compare.
Must be compared outside.

Hope this helps. The good shops can hit it dead on.
SirAndy
Light Ivory (Hellelfenbein) was available for all years of the 914 run.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors

bye1.gif

rgolia
QUOTE(Celso @ Jan 11 2021, 10:35 AM) *

Hey everyone, 1st time posting here.

I recently picked up a white '71 that used to be green but is now white. I have no info on which white was used and I was hoping you could point me in the right direction. I picked up a pint of Carrera white mid-2000s color and I will spray it onto a card to see if its a match. I don't think these cars ever came in white, except for the '74 can am version but that was more of a creamy white. If I continue to order paint on a trial and error basis, it could get expensive. Has anyone used one of those paint matching hand held doohickies with any positive results?

Thanks,
Celso

welcome.png @Celso I grew up in Eastchester and that is where I learned to drive my 914 in the seventies. Where do you live?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.