Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A/C evaporator removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sprout
I'm removing the A/C evaporator inside the cabin and wondering if I should take the quick and easy way, and just cut the rubber hoses? Or, do I need to remove them carefully? confused24.gif

I don't know if those are easy to buy new, or could someone make them if they were to try and install the A/C again?

The compressor is already removed, so I'm removing the evaporator now. I plan to remove the condensor and plug up the holes, etc, but it may be a while before I can do the rest of that. So, my first thought was just to cut the hoses up short under the dash and leave them to fill the holes until I can get the other work done.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Front yard mechanic
I chopped mine figured they were so hard they were junk let the hook up be new for the next guy
BillJ
That is what i did with mine. You can start causing unintended consequences by pulling them out and that is never fun.
Amphicar770
Scrap them. Anyone rebuilding the unit would replace them all with modern barrier hose.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Jan 11 2021, 11:17 PM) *

Scrap them. Anyone rebuilding the unit would replace them all with modern barrier hose.

agree.gif

Sprout
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I'll just cut them. Going to be so nice having all that extra space in the cabin with the A/C gone!
Ansbacher
If you remove everything A/C related, your car will shed almost 80 lbs! That's a good reason to do it right there. Don't forget to remove that humongously heavy bracket that the compressor sits on and button up the huge hole in the engine tin.

Ansbacher
Superhawk996
agree.gif

Right on about the fixing the tin. 914 engine depends on engine to the body to prevent hot air from below being sucked right back up into the fan.

A/C installs are generally an abomination on 914's. Mine had part of the engine shelf hacked out in addition to the tin being chopped up. headbang.gif Do it. Your engine will thank you!
Sprout
Thank you! Yes, the compressor bracket is removed and the hole is still there. I have the piece to fill that in, should be done this spring. Hoping to remove the condensor up front and fill that hole in at the same time. I'll remove the components in the wheel well and plug up the various hose holes last.

Getting rid of 80 lbs will definitely help! piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.