Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: email from Dan Ellison, Triad West
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
90quattrocoupe
I just received an email, supposedly from Triad West, asking for help in getting gift cards for him for his daughter.

I think his email account has been hacked or spoofed.

Greg W.
ctc911ctc
I got one as well - made me want one of his mufflers!
double-a
same here, a request to help get an itunes gift card for his niece.
rhodyguy
DAVE. Not Dan. Dave is more of a phone guy. Could be in the shop welding. The number is listed on the Triadwest web site. I will call him and give a heads up. I did not get the spam. Last active on the 4th.
mmichalik
I got one as well, I PM'ed him directly and let him know how to start to mitigate things.
Hopefully he can cut it off quickly.
Stltri
Received one as well. Suspected it to be spam therefore deleted/blocked email. Maybe this was related to recent hack of 914world?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Stltri @ Jan 12 2021, 11:08 AM) *

Received one as well. Suspected it to be spam therefore deleted/blocked email. Maybe this was related to recent hack of 914world?

@Stltri
No. As i mentioned in the other thread, we were *not* hacked.

DDoS is a denial of service attack, not a hack:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack
shades.gif
rhodyguy
Dave is aware of the situation. One of those 'all day on the phone' deals. Best to call if you want to communicate with Dave.
fixer34
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 12 2021, 05:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Stltri @ Jan 12 2021, 11:08 AM) *

@Stltri
No. As i mentioned in the other thread, we were *not* hacked.

DDoS is a denial of service attack, not a hack:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack
shades.gif

Following up on Sir Andy's comment. Receiving these 'gift card' emails does not necessarily mean that Triad West's email account got hacked either. All they needed to do was get their hands on an email blast that went to a group of people/customers. From there, they spoof Triad's name as the sender and attach it to some other return email address. Make up some 'sob story' email and send it out. Otherwise known as 'phishing'.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.