Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trickle Charger
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
trick-e
Car is stored and battery is out. Looking for a decent maintenance charger for an AGM battery. There are quite a few choices, so anyone with a good experience?
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(trick-e @ Jan 12 2021, 08:25 PM) *

Car is stored and battery is out. Looking for a decent maintenance charger for an AGM battery. There are quite a few choices, so anyone with a good experience?

I use CTEK with both my 914 and 997 that get stored a lot. It's a smart charger with deep cycle and maintenance cycles.

https://smartercharger.com/

johnhora
I've been using this Schumacher one on an Odyssey PC1200 for a few years.
Works fine and no problems.
And actually I've used the Harbor Freight cheep one on some batteries with out problems.

Click to view attachment
PlaysWithCars
I had a Harbor Freight trickle charger cook one of my batteries so I've sworn off of them ever sense. I've been using a BatteryMinder brand on my PC680 for many years with great success. I really like the desulfation feature included in this charger brand and have gotten extreme life, ~9yrs typical, from all of my batteries using this. I have multiple versions of their chargers now so I don't have to rotate between batteries (too much).

Older version of this one for heavy lifting: Model 128CEC1
These wall warts for basic trickle charging: Model 1510

Not cheap, but in over 15 (maybe 20yrs) of use, not a single problem maintaining a fleet of batteries.
mepstein
battery tender junior. ~25 at flaps or amazon. works great.
Mark Henry
If you read the Oyddssy instructions they reccomend against charging during short term (seasonal) storage.
I just disconect the battery, still starts my 3.0 high CR engine in the spring.
VegasRacer
CTEK thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif
brant
CTEK for me also

I've one by one replaced all of my older trickle chargers with CTEK units
(some smart, some 6V, some specifically for lead acid batteries)

I've never had a problem with Ctek
I've had multiple walmart shumachers, and HF chargers fail

you really want a smart charger when your using it on an AGM battery
eric9144
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jan 13 2021, 07:49 AM) *

CTEK thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif

agree.gif
Shredhead
CTEK.
rjames
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 13 2021, 06:45 AM) *

If you read the Oyddssy instructions they reccomend against charging during short term (seasonal) storage.

This.

rmital
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 12 2021, 11:19 PM) *

this one? @mepstein
bbrock
QUOTE(rmital @ Jan 13 2021, 01:01 PM) *

this one? @mepstein

I've been using that one on my Optima for the last 8 months or so. So far, so good.
mepstein
QUOTE(rmital @ Jan 13 2021, 03:01 PM) *

this one? @mepstein

Yes. I’ve had very good luck with my optima batteries (8+ years) using this. It’s also brought back two other batteries for me.

Even when I’m not driving my 914, it’s been incredibly useful to have a fully charged battery, ready to go when the battery dies in a trailer winch or my daughter visits and leaves her car light on.

You NEVER should quick charge an optima battery. Kills them.
trick-e
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 13 2021, 09:45 AM) *

Thank you. Guess I need reading glasses.

Thanks to all who shared. I still need a new charger, so will look at these. Cheers.
Andyrew
I just unplug my Lithium battery when not in use and start it once a month. Last Lithium ($108, 2lbs) battery lasted me 2 years and I forgot to unplug it for 8 months...

rjames
I've been using this and no complaints so far. I like that you can disconnect the cord that goes to the battery terminal clamps from the cord that connects to the charger end.
Click to view attachment
pvollma
QUOTE(trick-e @ Jan 12 2021, 09:25 PM) *

I used a PulseTech Xtreme Charge on my airplane, which in the winter got very little use, but the few times I pulled it out, after sitting for maybe a month or two, the battery had no trouble spinning the prop. I sold the airplane last year and I've now moved the PulseTech to my 914 because the last time I tried to drive it the Odyssey PC1200 barely turned it over.

I also like the fact that it comes with a short connector that can be installed on the battery posts, with a quick disconnect to the longer cable to the charger, instead of using the spring clips that seem too temporary to trust for long-term use.

As the name implies, it also uses a pulsing routine to de-sulfate the battery.

PulseTech
ClayPerrine
I have a battery tender on all of my cars. With the current climate, they only get driven once in a while, so all of them stay on the battery tender. My truck sits out front and it is the only vehicle that gets driven daily.

And everything I own runs the same series optima battery. I have had 0 issues with them going dead.

Clay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.