Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: looking for DE/AutoX suspension recommendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Michael.lescault1@gmail.com
Looking for recommendations on suspension set up for street and track use 914.

Rear;
looking at Koni "Yellow" adjustable shocks with coil over conversion or...QA1 double adjustable coil overs, or??

Lower swing arms; monoballs, or polygraphite bushings, or??

Already have installed aftermarket rear sway bar and polygraphite bushings

Front;

Lowered spindles good, or bad?

adjustable bump steer kit

Elephant racing poly bronze bushing kit, or polygraphite bushings, or??

Koni "Yellow" Sport strut inserts?

Also concerned about streetabaility/ride quality, so my wife will ride with me when street driving.

Racer
If I may suggest.. Read the rule book for your proposed uses (particularly AX). Sometimes, just the slightest "mod" moves you from "stock" to a fully prepared race class.
For instance, in many PCA regions, if you run camber plates, you are moved into the MOD class. Even if said camber plates are set to Zero. See.. its a letter of the rule thing.

Raised spindles will help keep geometry correct. Raised spindles could be a mod that reclassifies the car.

Same with Double adjustable shocks.

You've also not asked about shock/torsion bar rates as these should be addressed first and the shocks used to finetune the ride. Your suspension is a system. It all has to work together.

Tire size/sidewall height can have a big impact on ride quality. I've had several cars that are "firm" but not "harsh" when it comes to impacts (think expansion joints on the highway).
You also don't mention much about your driving skill set and any engine enhancements (stock 1.7? 2270 build? ) These will all impact the choices to consider imho.

Depending on the condition of your car and skill set, I would suggest driving it as is to learn the types of characteristics you wish to change.. understeer? oversteer? Cornering lean?
914 Ranch
popcorn[1].gif
Dave is absolutely correct, please input spec's on the car and your skill level and your disers. We can help. I have no A/C skills ( about 20 laps) but I have been working on this car.

Click to view attachment

You will want to drive the car before you can tell us what it is doing. Go racing.
Thank you both for your reply! I better back up a bit to give some perspective. I built a 67 911s about 10 years ago. Within a week of completion I took it out to Willow springs and participated in my first ever driver training event on the "Streets of Willow" course. I took first in class. I set that car up with polygraphite bushings front and rear. I kept the stock 13mm front sway bar and installed stock replacement Bilsteins front and rear. Also, I had custom made set of billet 17" x 7" wheels made and installed 226/45-17 Yokohama Tires. I also installed a set of pretty firm race bucket seats. The turn in is super sharp, the ride is super stiff and the bodywork nearly scrapes in hard turns.

Onto my 914 build. After getting the 911s build so wrong, I would like to get some help in parts selection so that I don't make the same mistakes again. I don't think I will ever be a competitive racer, and that is not my intent. I want to take my car out for auto cross and driver training fun events. I am building a twin turbo all aluminum V8 and installing big brakes. I want the car to have a very compliant ride on the street but, with sharp turn in and composed and confidence inspiring handling on track. I am fabbing major chassis stiffening and hidden roll cage to create a solid platform for the suspension components to work. I am running a 21mm front through the chassis sway bar and a smaller rear sway bar. Debating on polybronze front control arm bearings, or polygraphite bushings. Lowering the front spindles (how far?), on the struts with heim jointed bump steer? Koni adjustable front strut inserts or?? Monoballs on the strut towers or?? Rear polygraphite bushings or monoballs? Koni single adjustable shocks with coil over kit, or QA1 double adjustable coil over shocks. I will be running custom made 19" x 10" front wheels with 245/35 - 19 Pilot Sport 4 tires and 20" x 11 1/2" with 315/30 - 20 PS4 tires on the rear. As far a complying to the rules...I will be mostly safety focused because of the engine and suspension upgrades I will never be competative in the modified classes. I would rather go out for fun events and enjoy the ride via built in adjustability and properly selected components.

Racer
Mike, thanks for the update. Sounds like a pretty wild beast you are building. A bit out of my league to provide useful feedback regarding the preferences you are looking for.

BillJ
You may want to speak to Bob Saville who may also be able to help you acquire some of the parts you may need as he is familiar with advanced 914/6 chassis and suspension builds. @naro914 .
mlindner
Michael, I don't get it. Why the big wheels ? 10 and11.5 and you want a nice ride. It sounds like you want to run Nascar. Best, Mark

Mark,

I have installed a 993 Turbo s body kit and a 3.5 liter aluminum twin turbo V8. The 10" and 11.5" wheels just fill up the new wheel arches. With 2085# and 550HP I need the tire width.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.