Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help identifying this transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mate914
I am about to endeavor a few transmission rebuilts. As I was collecting my specimens I noticed one was different. Can someone please shed some light on this transmission. It is a side shift right now. Photo lower right shows flange on bell housing.Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
rgalla9146
A trans with a 911 prefix is for a '70-'71 911.
Next came the 915
The '911' trans was the first to incorporate a 'pull' type pressure plate.
It has cast in features that the clutch tube and cable are guided by/attached to.
The one on the right (upside down) appears to be a 911 type.....that flange secures the end of the clutch cable.
What rear cover is on that trans ?
If it has a 914 rear cover it was probably mated to a later engine to use the pull type clutch.
Don't forget this involves flipping the ring and pinion and FULL re-set of all tolerances.
914Sixer
If the side shift conversion has been done, maybe the ring and pinion have been flipped.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 15 2021, 11:57 AM) *

If the side shift conversion has been done, maybe the ring and pinion have been flipped.

Mark is right, looks to be set up for side shift so probably flipped.
Finger crossed for correct set up.
mate914
It came with a parts car many years ago. It was Attached to a 2.0 /4 .
Tail is # 914.301.302.00
Matt
mate914
The car that it was in looked like it had been driven for many years. The car just suffered from East Coast cancer a.k.a. rust.
oldie914
Looks like this case is a 1970/71 911 surplus casting that was used for a 914 transmission. I've seen a couple like this. The castings were machined with the vent in the 914 position and did not have the steel reinforcing plates inside the differential carrier housing needed for the pull clutch on the 911. Throwout bearing arm pivot location was also drilled in the right place for the 914.
davep
It would be very useful for me to know the serial #'s of all the transmissions you have. The odd case is certainly a 70/71 version, and of the later variant since it has the side pad for the serial # off of the central rib. This case was also used for the 914/6. Now the question is was it originally for a 911 or for a 914/6; the answer lies with the vent location and if both locations were drilled & tapped.
rgalla9146
No guide loop on diff cover casting....as seen on '70-'71 911
oldie914
The throwout bearing arm pivot for the pull clutch on a 1970/71 911 transmission was in a different location than for the push clutch. Attached are pictures of a 1970 case converted for use in a 1969 911 including details of the reinforcing plate for the pull clutch pivot.
Also pictures of the bottom of the case showing the pad for the serial number was not
included on the early cases.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mate914
Here are more pics....Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mate914
I cleaned it all up. I could not find any numbers on the transmission. I will know more when I pull it apart.
mate914
Click to view attachment
gms
This is an unstamped case used for 911s and 914/6s
the type and serial number would be stamped on the flat area

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.