Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Porsche 914 Relay Board
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Steve_R
Here is a new relay board for the Porsche 914 - 4 cylinder. It is CNC machined from HDPE polymer plastic and all of the connections are soldered wires. The inside is sealed with epoxy preventing any moisture from causing corrosion. This relay board uses the stock relays for power, heater and fuel pump. There are no provisions for the rear window heater. The relay socket used for the window heater is used to store an extra relay.
This board uses an ATC style fuse and has an LED that illuminates when the relay board is supplying power to the fuel pump. This is useful in diagnosing fuel pump issues. The LED illuminates for about 2 seconds when the key is turned on and remains illuminated when the engine is running. This board does not come with any relays or the voltage regulator. Sorry, I can’t ship international. $325.00 Shipped.
BillJ
A work of art. Why no rear window heater provision (just curious)?
yellowporky
I just bought one from his listing on Pelican. I am excited to see it
Thanks for making this
bdstone914
@Steve_R

Nice work. Three observations

1. You made the relay sockets recessed. I doubt the 914 Rubber relays will fit that board as they are slightly larger is diameter.

2. The socket for the body harness has the female locating hole but not the male locating pin that the engine harness connector. I think the factory made both to reduce the possibility of plugging in the harness one pin off. I know if you do that on the engine harness it will fry the harness.

3. No holes for the voltage regulator. I do a thicker area on the side where the hole go. These need to be carefully drilled and the correct screw length used or the circuits will be damaged.

@mikey914
Mikey914
The shape of the relay "socket" would preclude using our relays. It is an interesting choice in that even the stock ones will be a tight fit.

I had looked at making the open source relay board that is available, but the machine cost was over $150 a board didn't see any margin as we have guys rebuilding these for less than $200.

Kudos to you for taking this on, but it's a lot of work and the details can be a big problem.

Steve_R
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 17 2021, 10:05 AM) *

@Steve_R

Nice work. Three observations

1. You made the relay sockets recessed. I doubt the 914 Rubber relays will fit that board as they are slightly larger is diameter.

2. The socket for the body harness has the female locating hole but not the male locating pin that the engine harness connector. I think the factory made both to reduce the possibility of plugging in the harness one pin off. I know if you do that on the engine harness it will fry the harness.

3. No holes for the voltage regulator. I do a thicker area on the side where the hole go. These need to be carefully drilled and the correct screw length used or the circuits will be damaged.

@mikey914

Thanks for the comments.

1. I have not tried the 914 Rubber relays. However, The stock relays sit on top of the boss so if the 914 Rubber relays are a little larger they should work.

2. I omitted the male locating pin and increased the distance from the female hole to the edge of the raised area. This will not allow the connector to be plugged in one pin off.

3. The pic in the post was before I drilled the holes for the voltage regulator. All of the relay boards have the pilot holes drilled and I supply the correct screws/washers.

Steve_R
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 17 2021, 12:00 PM) *

The shape of the relay "socket" would preclude using our relays. It is an interesting choice in that even the stock ones will be a tight fit.

I had looked at making the open source relay board that is available, but the machine cost was over $150 a board didn't see any margin as we have guys rebuilding these for less than $200.

Kudos to you for taking this on, but it's a lot of work and the details can be a big problem.

Yep, it was a ton of work. I only have a few left and I will not be making any more.

Steve
Steve_R

I still have a few left.

yellowporky
I received mine a couple days ago and looks great. Thanks
I will install this weekend.
Thank you for making this part
Fahren Cars
QUOTE(Steve_R @ Jan 15 2021, 01:41 PM) *

Here is a new relay board for the Porsche 914 - 4 cylinder. It is CNC machined from HDPE polymer plastic and all of the connections are soldered wires. The inside is sealed with epoxy preventing any moisture from causing corrosion. This relay board uses the stock relays for power, heater and fuel pump. There are no provisions for the rear window heater. The relay socket used for the window heater is used to store an extra relay.
This board uses an ATC style fuse and has an LED that illuminates when the relay board is supplying power to the fuel pump. This is useful in diagnosing fuel pump issues. The LED illuminates for about 2 seconds when the key is turned on and remains illuminated when the engine is running. This board does not come with any relays or the voltage regulator. Sorry, I can’t ship international. $325.00 Shipped.

How does one know when it's time (or almost time) for a new relay board? What are the symptoms and visual cues?
rjames
QUOTE(Fahren Cars @ Jan 25 2021, 10:16 AM) *

How does one know when it's time (or almost time) for a new relay board? What are the symptoms and visual cues?

Things stop working. biggrin.gif

Here's a link to a wiring diagram that shows everything that runs through the board. 
Relay board Wiring Diagram
peteyd
Very cool. can we see pictures of the underside?

Pete
Steve_R
QUOTE(peteyd @ Jan 27 2021, 05:46 AM) *

Very cool. can we see pictures of the underside?

Pete

It's filled with Epoxyseal9000.
Steve_R
I still have a few left.
Steve_R
I just sold the last one.

Thanks everyone!
dknechtly
Any plans to make more? Thanks
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(dknechtly @ Jun 5 2022, 02:56 PM) *

Any plans to make more? Thanks

@dknechtly

I think if my memory serves me correctly he is not planning on making any more but passed this along to Mark Whitesell and 914rubber @mikey914 might be able to chime in here i think they were going to pick this up and make them , if we had enough people that wanted this i bet he would do it.

Phil
dknechtly
Thanks. It's tiresome to deal with refurb'd parts only to come with the same issue in a year or two.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(dknechtly @ Jun 6 2022, 10:15 AM) *

Thanks. It's tiresome to deal with refurb'd parts only to come with the same issue in a year or two.

Agreed!, i was stranded last fall, for the first time in 12 years due to a failed / shorted out relay board!! that was the one part i didnt have a spare of in my car . Missed okteenerfest due to it. I am still looking for a NOS or one of the new ones he did that someone would part with to have as a back up but right now i have a nice refurbished one from 914sixer in the car, but no spare.

Wish mark would make these, i know he said it would cost $150 to make but i would pay $250 for a new one, i think many would too , it dont think its a close second to get a refurb for $150 or $200 if you can have a brand new one for $250.

Phil
Mikey914
Yes we have made some progress on these. The costing is where we are having the issues. You know me I try to keep it as affordable as possible. I'll post up some pics later today.
Mark
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 7 2022, 11:05 AM) *

Yes we have made some progress on these. The costing is where we are having the issues. You know me I try to keep it as affordable as possible. I'll post up some pics later today.
Mark

beerchug.gif awesome!
Mikey914
1st part is done, we have some more work on the Backstreet, but have sockets and plugs ready.
To make something that will stand up over time with potencial high temps had been the issue. That problem is solved.
FlacaProductions
Wow - that's really nice - good work!
NARP74
Impressive!
JuniorVarsity
Any update on this? Looking for a new relay board for my '72 914/4.... I don't see an option on 914rubber. Leads appreciated!
Mikey914
Unfortunately we haven't made progress on these as when we started costing them. we were looking at about $250 in part s to make these, add in labor and any margin they were hitting $500 and some change if everything went perfectly. Check with @914ltd He was rebuilding the old ones at about 1/2 the cost we could make them for.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.