Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Threaded oil galley plugs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rezron
I've got a freshly rebuilt engine and am sure the factory oil galley plugs
did'nt get replaced with threaded plugs. The engine is not installed yet- is there
a way to put plugs in yet or is it too late? Is it going to require a teardown and reassembly?

Thanks in advance,

Rezron
Joe Bob
The ones that usually go are behind the flywheel....
Tom Perso
I'd really say that you're SOL on threading the hole and putting in plugs while the motor is together. Lots of chips going into the oil galleys and nonsense.

If it were me - I'd put some JB weld behind those plugs to help hold them in - then cross your fingers and toes.

Of course, the right way to do it is to tear down the motor and drill/tap the galleys... wacko.gif

Tom
rhodyguy
i thought drill and taping was also to really clean the passageways. why would a builder not do it as a matter of must do?

k
SLITS
One method would be to use heavy grease (regular wheel bearing grease) on the end of the drill and a shop vac.

Coat drill bit liberally and drill slow with the shop vac sucking also. Drill a little bit, clean and recoat the drill.

Same thing with the tap.

The grease should catch most of the shards and the shop vac should suck the remainder.

Call this "emergency track repair" method.

After drilling and tapping, we would use red loctite on the pipe plug (maybe not necessary).

To drill the oil galleries, you would need a gun drill (long mf'er) and be able to index it exactly. We did this on the Datsun blocks (NOT Nissan) for more volume. Cleaning the oil galleries in the block and crank, we used a gun cleaning kit with SS brushes not drills.

That said, dissassembly is preferred.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.