Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bearing Bracket for clutch roller
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanpaulmc
The bearing bracket, 914 423 030 02, for the clutch roller has what looks like a pressed in stud. Can this stud be simply pressed out and replaced?

If so, what are the specs of the stud? I haven't been able to locate the details. As you can see from the photos, this one is both sheared and stripped of threads.

Thanks in advance!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

fixer34
I'll ask a silly question. Why not just buy another used/new bracket? I would think they are readily available and not too expensive.
bdstone914
[quote name='seanpaulmc' date='Jan 17 2021, 05:24 PM' post='2883709']
The bearing bracket, 914 423 030 02, for the clutch roller has what looks like a pressed in stud. Can this stud be simply pressed out and replaced?

If so, what are the specs of the stud? I haven't been able to locate the details. As you can see from the photos, this one is both sheared and stripped of threads.

Thanks

I have a bunch of them that have good threads and are yellow zinc plated for $25 shipped.

@seanpaulmc
davep
It does appear to be pressed into place, and you will lose nothing by trying to press it out. Other than that, purchasing a replacement for $25 is a great deal compared to the effort of a repair. I would also try to get a correct nut for the stud.
Superhawk996
Stud is likely resistance welded to bracket and isn't going to just press out.

If you're going to press it, you can try lightly but don't expect it to budge. Forcing it may or may not break the resistance welding under the head and will likely deform the bracket.

Grind head off, then press stud shank out is the best bet. But then on the "Fix" side, you will need to weld the stud back to the braket to keep it from wobbling and rotating when you try to install the roller.

Agree with comments above. Just replace the bracket. Easy simple, cost effective.
seanpaulmc
Replacement it will be! Thanks for the responses.

Cheers,
Sean
Mikey914
Disregard just noticed the threads
bkrantz
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 24 2021, 03:35 PM) *

Disregard just noticed the threads

Just do like the PO of my car would have done: find a nut, probably SAE size, that can be jammed on (and maybe not perpendicular to the stud). blink.gif
Mikey914
Looks over tightened. The 1st few threads are ok. But if you keep tightening you loose threads.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.