Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Help...What's the best way...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
I've got back pad glue I need to take off to prep the engine bay for paint.

What's the best method?

Thanks,

Bill P.
nine14cats
icky poo.... ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

Bill P.
J P Stein
I've found stuff that takes it off (albiet slowly), but also takes off the paint. I've never tried Goof Off, tho......sand blasting seems to work well biggrin.gif
texanpilot
I just stripped the glue off of both the inside firewall and the engine compartment using terry cloth rags and lacquer thinner. Worked great and left the panels clean.
rhodyguy
6 tough hours. berrymans, gumout carb cleaner worked for me too. spray it on, let it work a bit and hit it with the big rightangle grinder. it's messy. i set a short stool in the engine comparment to sit on.

k
SirAndy
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Jul 17 2005, 04:00 PM)
What's the best method?

lots of brake cleaner and a rag ...

cool.gif Andy
J P Stein
Hay, Bill, didja get my reply to your PM?
grasshopper
another tip, take the engine lid off, it give you more room to work... smile.gif
neo914-6
sawzall-smiley.gif a bulkhead out of a parts car, chrome plate it, and screw it on over the mess, more insulation and will reflect all the nice Renegade parts you are hiding... laugh.gif

That or buy a new heat shield and mount it.

Is there rust or do you just want a clean painted engine compartment? Goop off should work and it's not too smelly or brain damaging.
Randal
Just did that wonderful job before having my engine compartment painted. Just looking at your picture brought back the memories Bill.

What worked the best was adhesive remover (HD), but in the end it took off the paint as well, so I just stripped it clean.

Apply remover.

Let sit 25-30 minutes

Clean off with power washer

Start again.

Took 3 times to get it perfect, but it wasn't hard work.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL THE CAR PAINT COVERED; OTHERWISE YOU'LL BE PAINTING MORE THAN YOU WANT.

Brake cleaner works, but it does take a huge amount of time. And I don't know if you'd have any brain cells left after smelling that stuff for 5 or 6 hours.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Randal @ Jul 17 2005, 04:49 PM)
Brake cleaner works, but it does take a huge amount of time. And I don't know if you'd have any brain cells left after smelling that stuff for 5 or 6 hours.

naaa, you just need to do it the right way. wink.gif

apply brake cleaner *generously* over a area the size of a shop rag. let it sit for at least 30 sec. rub hard with a shop rag. you'll probably have to do that twice per area to get it clean.

that's it!
wink.gif Andy

PS: the trick is that you'll need to let it soak, if you try to wipe it right away or put brake cleaner on the rag and wipe, you'll be there forever ...
Trekkor
The old glue is pretty dried out and crumbly to the touch, huh?
Mine was. Just take a single edged razor blade on it's edge and scrape away. Work at a 90 degree angle. It will just fall away faster than you thought possible. Short strokes.
When you get most of it off wipe the whole area down with a rag and acetone ( brake cleaner ).

When the razor loses it bite, toss it and try another.
Very simple and non stinky. You'll be blown away when you see how far you've come after just one hour.

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.