Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil leak between engine and transmission 1974 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dax1969
Hi guys,

Last week I managed to install new oil cooler seals and the oilpressure switch which made an end to an oil leak coming from above my oil filter. Don't have to tell you that the job was a PITA biggrin.gif

Now I notice that I have another drip coming out of the inspection hole between the engine and the transmission. Read everything (I think) I could find and I think that the crankshaft seal/rear main seal is leaking.
I have no idea what the condition of my clutch is but I've read that if I take off the flywheel that I should need to replace a few things. Is it correct that I can't re-use the pressureplate, flywheel bolts etc ? What parts can I re-use and what parts do I need to replace ?

- flywheel bolts ?
- feltwasher
- pilot bearing ?
- lockplate ?
- o-ring crankshaft to flywheel
- clutch release bearing ?

Is it perhaps better to replace the entire clutch while I am in there or can I just replace the rear main seal ?

thks yr advise

Dax

brant
Dax.

The trans front seal drips out in the same place.
Are you sure your leak is motor oil?

4 cylinder flywheel bolts are reusable
Small displacement 6 cylinder flywheel bolts are one time use stretch bolts
Shivers
Hi. Smell what is dripping by rubbing it between your fingers. Gear lube does not smell like engine oil. Felt washer pilot bearing and flywheel o ring are not a deal breaker. Put in new. Look at the rest for wear, hot spots or damage. If the flywheel needs refacing I'd change it all, otherwise I'd replace what needs to be replaced. Since we're talking a leak, look close at the friction plate.
brant
also...
don't forget to replace the clutch pivot point plastic bushing... and the 2 throw-out bearing guides that are also plastic

the clutch, pp, and flywheel are dependent on wear when you have them out to examine

the Throw out bearing also... and unless its obviously loud and bad when you examine it... you can often take them apart, refresh the grease, and reuse.... unless the bearings are making noise or show wear
Ansbacher
If you want to sleep well at night, replace EVERYTHING. You don't want to do this job twice.

Ansbacher
ctc911ctc
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jan 18 2021, 11:53 AM) *

If you want to sleep well at night, replace EVERYTHING. You don't want to do this job twice.

Ansbacher

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

Every seal is 50 years old with countless heat/cold cycles. Both Crank Seals are done.

I went through the same thing - I geared up and dropped the engine (first time) and replaced every seal. My garage floor has been dry ever since. Heater Boxes are no longer Smoke generators.
Olympic 914
Another While your in There, is to check the crank end play while you have the rear main seal out.

I do this when I have the engine out.

Never did it with the engine still in the car though.

dax1969
Thks for the replies. It is definetily engine oil.
It is fresh clean engine oil.. I know the smell of transmission oil biggrin.gif

I’ll take the transmission off and examine further. All seals and
washers on the list. Disc and pressureplate I will look into it once
it’s out. Will post pics if I am not sure..

Thks once again for your support

Greetings fm Belgium
ctc911ctc
If the rear seal is leaking - the front one is suspect if the engine has not been refurbished in 10+ years.

Good Luck!

QUOTE(dax1969 @ Jan 18 2021, 01:16 PM) *

Thks for the replies. It is definetily engine oil.
It is fresh clean engine oil.. I know the smell of transmission oil biggrin.gif

I’ll take the transmission off and examine further. All seals and
washers on the list. Disc and pressureplate I will look into it once
it’s out. Will post pics if I am not sure..

Thks once again for your support

Greetings fm Belgium

iankarr
Def agree. Best to do the full job once and not worry about it again. The labor to do some of it is almost as much as it is to do it all. Here's a look at what's involved to replace the clutch and rear main seal, and check the crank end play. Enjoy....
https://youtu.be/o1sDHWxTOxk
dax1969
QUOTE(iankarr @ Jan 18 2021, 10:09 PM) *

Def agree. Best to do the full job once and not worry about it again. The labor to do some of it is almost as much as it is to do it all. Here's a look at what's involved to replace the clutch and rear main seal, and check the crank end play. Enjoy....
https://youtu.be/o1sDHWxTOxk

Thks Ian, saw this vid a dozen times already biggrin.gif I am following you on FB as well.
Keep up the good job

krgds
Dax
AFyrigos
Thank you guys... this is helpful.

I have a same location leak but in my case it's transmission oil, and looking at your comments there's another seal that could be the culprit.

Any information on what seal that is and any comments/recommendations to do the work ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.