Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Converting /4 ignition switch to /6 style???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
I've known this has been done before, but I have never seen it documented or even really talked about.

Besides the /6 specific steering column cover, what other parts are /6 original parts?
The dash, the switch itself or ?????

Sorry, bored at work while waiting for Tech Support to help me out on the phone.....
Brad Roberts
You need the whole column. Other than that, its sheet metal work..

B
Brad Roberts
Oh.. and the column would require some good fab work to make it work...

I have a four dash converted to six at the shop right now (Kims car)

B
JWest
I did it years ago - I have one done in the project car right now.

Take a 911 column - cut off the mount and weld on the mount (with the 4 mount holes) from the /4 column.

Wire it all up - use a 911 wiper motor to get 3 speeds to match the switch.

I think Clay Perrine had some pics on his site http://www.perrinefamily.org/column.htm
Joe Bob
Cool....now all ya need is the 914/6 VIN #.....
Qarl
If you just wanted the dash-mounted ignition switch... Can you do this...

1. Remove the ignition switch and lock mechanism from the -4 column.

2. Mounted the a 911 or 914-6 switch (minus the column lock) to the left of the wheel (maybe in the third switch hole).

3. Wire/rig the ignition switch to the wiring harness.

You'd have to come up with a new shroud to hide the old column-mounted ignition switch location... otherwise you'll have a funny-looking hole there.

You'd lose your steering wheel lock mechanism.
redshift
lol mikez

I was just looking at a detailed (with pics) article on someone doing this conversion no more than a week ago, I will sift through my history as soon as I get home.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.