Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it possible to rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djm914-6
Just as the topic says...

I can't afford the harness' yet so I want to make the stock belts as servicable as possible. The drivers side isn't too bad, but the passanger side is a bear to adjust.

Thanks
SirAndy
QUOTE (djm914-6 @ Jul 17 2005, 04:35 PM)
Just as the topic says...

which part? the one that slides over the other part of the belt or the buckle part where it runs around the metal tab?

a simple cleaning of the parts (and belts) did the trick for me, there's not many (2?) "mechanical" parts involved ...
wink.gif Andy
djm914-6
How do you clean the belts? I'm sure my wife wouln't be happy to hear some metal parts baning around in her new front load washing machine.

The metal parts (slides) apear to be really corroded. Some of the corosion is rust but some is a white calcium looking stuff.

Thoughts?
Joe Ricard
I got some early belts in a box. Let me look at the condition of them. I know the webbing is shot. Wonder if it is a good idea to get them re webbed and still be safe.

Hence I run 5 point 3" wide cam locks.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Jul 18 2005, 06:04 AM)

Hence I run 5 point 3" wide cam locks.

Same here, driver side only. On the early cars the non self adjusting belts are a pain in the bootyshake.gif for every new passenger that gets in to adjust. Driver side wasn't since I'm the only driver but I did switch to the 5 point with Cam lock, which also is a pain but for me better than the stock belt.

Maybe I need to clean my passenger belt also, just might make it work better.
SirAndy
QUOTE (djm914-6 @ Jul 18 2005, 06:18 AM)
Thoughts?

i don't remember what i used for the belts, some household cleaner i grabed from the kitchen. worked great!

as for the metal part (yes, i had that white stuff too) i went at it with a wire-brush, then put some metal ready on a rag and rubbed it for a while. hasn't rusted/oxidized since.

btw. if you need to change the adjustement frequently (i need much tighter for AX than for the street), leave the plastic cover off.
that way it's much easier to fiddle the belt through the adjuster ...

wink.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.