Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo Cable Availability - Bad batch of Gemo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brian Fuerbach
I ordered parts from Pelican this week but they did not have the speedo cable I needed available. I read the two Pelican reviews posted for the Gemo cable and both said the part did not fit. Apparently the transmission end is not threaded correctly. I ended up ordering from SMC, well guess what? The cable has reverse threads at the angle gear connection and does not fit. I suspect a bad batch.

Does anyone know of a West coast vendor or member that has good stock?

Thanks, Brian
Brian Fuerbach
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Jan 20 2021, 01:34 PM) *

Speedo cable needed.
mepstein
Check with your local Porsche dealer.
IronHillRestorations
A customer of mine got a bad one as well. Sent it back to PP and got one that was fine. Never had the problem before, but like you, it wouldn't thread on the angle drive
Brian Fuerbach
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 20 2021, 02:50 PM) *

Check with your local Porsche dealer.

Will be the last cable I buy for this car but I will not pay $187.95 from the dealer.
cary
https://914rubber.com/speedometer-cable-1
Brian Fuerbach
QUOTE(cary @ Jan 20 2021, 07:40 PM) *

Thanks Cary, I did not think of them.
Mikey914
I will double check my supply in the morning. Yes I can make these if I need to.

Brian Fuerbach
Update: Auto Atlanta confirmed that three cables they just received have mismatched threads on the angle gear side. Do not buy a Gemo speedo cable without confirming with the seller that the threads are proper.

I had an ebay seller tell me that they no longer have them in stock after I inquired and another that says "I would say, don't buy mine, I don't have time to look. Thanks, Anyway!" confused24.gif
rudedude
I got a bad one a while ago from one of our venders. He refused to believe that it could be the case. Had to slot the old end to slide it on the cable to attach to speedo drive. Maybe now he will see this and send me a replacement.
Brian Fuerbach
QUOTE(rudedude @ Jan 21 2021, 06:26 PM) *

I got a bad one a while ago from one of our venders. He refused to believe that it could be the case. Had to slot the old end to slide it on the cable to attach to speedo drive. Maybe now he will see this and send me a replacement.

I ended up making the cable work. I realized that the bad angle gear nut could come off the sheath if I could get the smaller speedo side nut off. I carefully enlarged the hole in the speedo side nut until it cleared the flange. I then slid the bad angle gear nut off and replaced it with the nut from my original cable. I then made a thin split washer out of a shim that captured the speedo nut. Worked like a charm. See the picture.
914Sixer
NOW I have to go to warehouse and check the Gemo I have.
rudedude
I don't know how to do the qoutes, but I believe for what the parts are costing us that we shouldn't have to figure out a way to make them work when they aren't made properly in the first place. Then when you talk to the seller and they tell you that you don't know what you are doing because the part must be correct. It is nice to see others having the same issues.
Brian Fuerbach
QUOTE(rudedude @ Jan 22 2021, 05:35 AM) *

I don't know how to do the qoutes, but I believe for what the parts are costing us that we shouldn't have to figure out a way to make them work when they aren't made properly in the first place. Then when you talk to the seller and they tell you that you don't know what you are doing because the part must be correct. It is nice to see others having the same issues.

I agree that the parts should always be correct but I thought $50 for a speedo cable was extremely reasonable. The clutch cable was only $16! I pay more for a 12 pack of my favorite beer. beerchug.gif
914Sixer
Well, I guess I got lucky. My new GEMO cable fit on both ends.
Brian Fuerbach
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 24 2021, 05:57 AM) *

Well, I guess I got lucky. My new GEMO cable fit on both ends.

I was told that Gemo cables are manufactured in Germany and Poland and to be cautious of the cables manufactured in Poland as they are not of the same quality and spec.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.