Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coming out post
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Amenson
Hi all,
I thought that it was about time to stop lurking. I have spent that last 2 months leaching from the vast knowledge base on this wonderful forum. The first month consisted mostly looking for purchasing information which ended in the acquisition of this '73 2.0 from the club’s classifieds on June 2nd:

user posted image

It is solid and straight. Mods that came with the car include:
KYB shocks and struts, weltmeister 22mm adjustable front sway bar, 21 mm torsion bars, braided stainless brake lines, 165# progressive rate springs, 19mm master cylinder, bursch exhaust, short shifter, rebuilt pedal cluster with bronze bushings, urethane suspension bushings all around, tans freshened with new synchro rings and a new 1st/reverse slider, dual Weber 40 idf carbs, an extra set of steel wheels with short lugs with Hankook ventus R compound 205/50/15 tires.

Since purchasing it I put on a set of 320i front calipers and Hawk HP+ pads.

A bit about me:
I live in the suburbs of Detroit and am a systems engineer for Bosch in the modulation group (ABS, Traction and Stability Control development). I have a few years of racing under my belt. My first racecar was an SCCA ITS Datsun 240z. My current racecar is an SCCA F500, currently sitting unhappily inactive in my garage. My last hobby road cars were BMW 2002s, of which I still own one, mostly in parts. My last daily driver was a '05 Subaru STi, more about that later.

Being unable to resist the pressure of my friends, I took the 914 to a track day at Grattan on Tuesday. Once I made a few adjustments to turn the existing A/X setup into something more suitable to a racetrack, the car was a real treat to drive at the limit, especially with the R rubber on the car. The downside of having owned and raced cars with much more generous power/weight ratios is that the power of the 914 left me very much wanting. For that I have a plan...

The path that brought me to the ownership of the 914 went directly trough a nasty accident in my '05 Subaru STi. I was ok but the car did not fare so well. Luckily the damage was mostly limited to the crush structures and other parts in front of the engine and I was able to purchase it from the insurance company for a great price. The proceeds from parting it out will more than cover the buyback cost. The rest will cover the cost of installing the turbo 2.5L engine into the belly of the 914. Working in the auto industry, I have friends who are not only auto enthusiasts but also very talented designers and fabricators and they are very much looking forward to assisting me with the swap. I will drive the car until the threat of snow comes and then out comes the stock driveline and in goes the Suby and a stronger transaxle, the type is still undetermined. I am currently trying to find (quite unsuccessfully) info about the suitability of 993/6 6-speeds. If anybody has any thoughts I would really like to hear them.

I will be participating in the Midwest Classic next month and am looking forward to meeting some of you in person then.

Later,
Scott

StratPlayer
Welcome to the insanity,,, very nice car you have there smilie_pokal.gif
Brad Roberts
Nice car Scott. Welcome. You've come to the right place.

B
Michael J
Scott,
Glad that you stopped peeping at us and jumped in with a car and all. Looks very nice. As you already know there is a huge wealth of knowledge here.
Welcome
bd1308
make sure you change your pushrod tube seals. get the yellow ones, they are faster.
Brad Roberts
Scott,

Be careful tracking the car. On a 85degree day I can make a stock 2.0 oil temp sky rocket to 240 in less than 3 laps of a 1.9 mile road course (with no front mounted cooler)

B
type47fan
clap.gif Welcome, Scott. If you've been lurking for the past couple of months, you've obviously seen some of the best of what this group has to offer. From the content of your bio, we'll be looking forward to you sharing your reflections and experiences on a regular basis.

Think about posting a progress thread on your Suby conversion. Lots of interest, of late, on that particular modification.

Again, welcome and enjoy,
Aaron Cox
welcome aboard matey wink.gif
Allan
If Miles gives you advice, do what he says.

If it does'nt work, then do what the main stream recommends.

Go get 'em Miles..............
mihai914
Welcome aboard smilie_pokal.gif

And since you work for Bosch, could you forward us the contact information for the person responsible for old FI systems, lots of people would like to chat with him laugh.gif something about MPS...

Seriously, nice car and you're lucky to have such backup.
MecGen
Hey Man

Welcome aboard ... smilie_pokal.gif

Being a Bosch man, we have a lot to talk about....

Nice car, keep us informed

Later
Joe

beerchug.gif
tat2dphreak
smilie_pokal.gif sweet car! welcome!
Joe Bob
Welcome....hard being a furrin guy in DEtroit, ain't it?
SGB
Yes!
another Scott! There is clearly an association between 914s and intelligent and talented (yet humble) owners named SCOTT. There do appear to be a few other individuals who may be worthy of being known as Scott as evidenced by there 914 skills. So welcome to the Scott- uh ooops- 914 board.
Brad Roberts
We should start a "Mike" thread and a "Scott" thread to see just how many we actually have.

B
SLITS
After he owns it for a while, he'll learn about the "MPS" lol2.gif

Oh.....Welcome to the funny farm....
ChrisFoley
Detroit's not too far from MId-Ohio. You should plan on coming to the Runoffs this September. There should be at least 5 FP 914s this year.
Welcome to the club!
rick 918-S
wavey.gif

assimilate.gif
scotty914
no what i think is funny is that there is : me suby 2.5 , scottb thinking about suby, and is'nt there another scott thinking or doing suby

BTW welcome
GWN7
Hello and welcome beerchug.gif
smooth_eddy
Nice car and color too. Welcome to the madness. Eddy
John
Welcome to the club.

Nice car. I remember driving at Grattan. That was 12+ years ago.

Be careful tracking the car. On a 85degree day I can make a stock 2.0 oil temp sky rocket to 240 in less than 3 laps of a 1.9 mile road course (with no front mounted cooler)

Brad, we all know about you and hot cars........

(Just kidding.)
sean_v8_914
bienvenido a la chingada buey sheeplove.gif
HAHAHA! the sheep icon says "Miles" when selected.
no Miles, I'm not calling you a goat roper, baaaaa
I look foward to seing where you put the innercooler sawzall-smiley.gif
sean_v8_914
hijacked.gif owned.gif stromberg.gif drooley.gif
I had to click on them to see if others had names
laugh.gif
neo914-6
Scott,

Welcome, I will add you to the conversions list (ok if you're in progress, many of us are). See the link in my signature.

Also note there is a nice V8 conversion in MI, search "marks914" who is in the automotive industry as well.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.