Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aftermarket oil temp gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sjhenry1075
I have a 71 with the stock 1.7 & DJet. What is everyone else running in regards to aftermarket gauges? The gauges I have seen (VDO, Auto Meter) have a sending unit that will not fit into the taco plate. Is there a different location for the sending unit other than the taco plate?
jaredmcginness
Some guys (me) extend a hose off the oil pressure port near the heads and run a split - For temp and pressure.

I would never use anything in a Porsche besides VDO.
My .2
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Jan 23 2021, 12:28 PM) *

Some guys (me) extend a hose off the oil pressure port near the heads and run a split - For temp and pressure.

My .2

Where exactly is the pressure port? Is that a better location than the taco plate?
jaredmcginness
As far as a better location, I’m not sure. Someone else will be able to answer that, and probably have another opinion.

That being said it’s located near the dizzy, in a hole through the engine tin.
horizontally-opposed
VDO Cockpit series is the way I'd go, and they can be inexpensively matched to early 914 gauges by sending to North Hollywood Speedometer to have the "buttons" spun in bright metal (I don't recall the price, but it surprised me for being remarkably reasonable). Or just leave the buttons black.

As for location, I'm a fan of ditching the head unit in favor of running audio from a smartphone into the amp. A factory defroster switch, a small custom switch, or an EQ and a switch are all you need to trigger the amp and get rid of your head unit. Smartphone saves weight and brings turn-by-turn directions, Pandora, iTunes, etc—without the long reach to a head unit that's either archaic or looks out of place on the 914 dash.

The factory used the radio location for a fuel gauge in the 914-6 GT, but you can also mount 2-3 gauges there. I bought this setup from another member on 914world, but it wouldn't be hard to duplicate—it turned out to be cut-down PVC plumbing pipe painted black, a sheet of aluminum, and a bit of basket-weave vinyl likely pilfered from tired door panels. As seen in past #35, for ideas…
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...50610&st=20
horizontally-opposed
Have also seen a single VDO Cockpit gauge added to the dash just left or just right of the steering column.

And one more: Gas gauge installed in bottom of the tach (using a 930 or 951 tach with boost gauge as a donor, I think?) and then a regular 911 combo gauge with oil temp and pressure in the left hole of the 914 gauge cluster.
bdstone914

My .2
[/quote]

Where exactly is the pressure port? Is that a better location than the taco plate?
[/quote]

You will not get good readings from any extrnded hose. They will read low. The VDO gauges used in VW Cabriolet's have a 10mm thread and can be fitted to the oil plate in the sump.
Dave_Darling
VDO makes temperature senders that fit into the weld-nut in the taco plate.

--DD
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 23 2021, 11:04 PM) *

VDO makes temperature senders that fit into the weld-nut in the taco plate.

--DD

agree.gif Do a search there's a thread with the corrct VDO part numbers.
rgalla9146
[quote name='bdstone914' date='Jan 23 2021, 05:03 PM' post='2885142']

My .2
[/quote]

[/quote]

You will not get good readings from any extrnded hose. They will read low. The VDO gauges used in VW Cabriolet's have a 10mm thread and can be fitted to the oil plate in the sump.
[/quote]

^^^ agree.gif temp sender has to be immersed in sump.
Pressure sender can be extended away
Mark Henry
Well it should be in a flow of oil, a galley works. In the stock 914/4 there is no such galley so the sump works just as well. In the later /6 engines like my 3.0 there's an adapter in the cam oil line. Not sure (brainfart moment) where it is on an earlier /6.

I agree a dead end whip is not ideal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.