Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In the rain
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
930cabman
I recently found a 2.0 long block on Ebay, seller said it was laying around for a few years. Heads had been removed previously. Cylinders missing. I am hoping to salvage a case, crank, rods, ...

Removing the pistons required heat prior to driving out the pins. Removing the oil pump was somewhat of a chore, when it finally came out my suspicion was confirmed. Directly behind the pump was filled with white crusty junk. I had suspected during storage it had seen some weather.

I have been using a 3/8" x 2" x 12" steel bar with a two pound hammer to separate the halves. It has opened up a few thou, at least now I am hearing a hollow sound when hammering.

Question: I am thinking the studs going through the case are corroded? I am sure someone has run into this.

thank you,
mepstein
Make sure all the nuts are off. There’s one that’s a bit hidden.
930cabman
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 24 2021, 03:52 PM) *

Make sure all the nuts are off. There’s one that’s a bit hidden.

I triple checked, but was hurried, wife tested negative earlier for Covid, has been sick for a few days.

The connecting rods are a little rusty, so I think this case sat outdoors without cylinders for awhile.

Tomorrow I will check again for a missed fastener before I start pounding. Trying to not use tools of destruction between the case halves.
warpig
Keep looking for another through bolt. I just did the same thing splitting my case a few weeks ago and thought I had them all. After pounding away and checking six or a hundred times that all the bolts were out, I found the elusive hidden through bolt.
I can't remember exactly where it was and I have only this pic in my phone but, if you look to the center and slightly above the holes where the lifters reside. You may understand what I mean.
This may not be the precise spot where the bolt was, but it is down in a dark recess, not around the edge of the case like the others. (my case is across town or I would go get a good pic)
It is hidden and covered with old oil and gunk. I was very surprised to find it down there. If you don't know where it is, you have to search. (maybe with a flashlight)
Click to view attachment
Good Luck.
930cabman
QUOTE(warpig @ Jan 24 2021, 09:45 PM) *

Keep looking for another through bolt. I just did the same thing splitting my case a few weeks ago and thought I had them all. After pounding away and checking six or a hundred times that all the bolts were out, I found the elusive hidden through bolt.
I can't remember exactly where it was and I have only this pic in my phone but, if you look to the center and slightly above the holes where the lifters reside. You may understand what I mean.
This may not be the precise spot where the bolt was, but it is down in a dark recess, not around the edge of the case like the others. (my case is across town or I would go get a good pic)
It is hidden and covered with old oil and gunk. I was very surprised to find it down there. If you don't know where it is, you have to search. (maybe with a flashlight)
Click to view attachment
Good Luck.

Thank you, it was hiding under 1/4" of gunk, couldn't make out a bolt at all. She's split now.
Cairo94507
Love this forum for exactly that kind of reason. beerchug.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 25 2021, 09:24 AM) *

QUOTE(warpig @ Jan 24 2021, 09:45 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Good Luck.

Thank you, it was hiding under 1/4" of gunk, couldn't make out a bolt at all. She's split now.

Very common issue. Glad you got it figured out.
930cabman
I'm remembering back in the old days when we somehow figured it out, lots of trial and error, generally more error.

Thanks to all, hope I can be of assistance along the way to others
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.