Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What will glue window glass to metal again?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mskala
Found another reason for my window to not line up.
I have an early car, that has the metal piece with rollers
attached to the front of the glass, which rides in the
chrome channel.

The glass seems to be moving with respect to the metal
now, so even though I haven't taken it apart I think I
will need to re-glue the piece.

What is going to hold these together? Another job that
I don't want to do twice if I can avoid it.

Thanks,
Joe Ricard
Rear view mirror adhesive. Better get it right the 1st time it pretty permanent.
Brad Roberts
Windshield Butyl.

All glass shops will have it in 2 forms: 1. roll of tape style 2. caulking gun style.

I suggest number 1.

B
xsboost90
3m makes a glue for that.
aircooledboy
What are you people, on dope?

Mr. Hand

w00t.gif laugh.gif

The only proper adhesive for attaching a window glass to an "appliance" (i.e. anything that holds the window to the regulatoror or guides the window to the right spot) is urethane. Butyl wont hold up to movement, particularly when it gets warm, and rear view mirror tab adhesive is only suited for exactly that purpose.

Clean the glass and prime the metal, you will have a nearly indestructable bond. Oh, and don't get it on anything you don't want it on. Stuff is wicked. The only thing that cleans it up worth a damn is enamel reducer, which is fairly evil stuff in its own right. beerchug.gif
mskala
Thanks all, now I will have something to do in the fall,
unless it falls out before then.
tommy914
I used 3M super weatherstrip adhesive on mine.

If you apply a thin layer to the metal and the glass, then let it dry, then put the pieces together it works great.

It also removes easily with the usual solvents in case you line up the metal piece incorrectly the first time... like I did.

Clean up all the rollers etc... real good so there is no binding when the window goes up and down.
BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(mskala @ Jul 17 2005, 08:25 PM) *

Found another reason for my window to not line up.
I have an early car, that has the metal piece with rollers
attached to the front of the glass, which rides in the
chrome channel.

The glass seems to be moving with respect to the metal
now, so even though I haven't taken it apart I think I
will need to re-glue the piece.

What is going to hold these together? Another job that
I don't want to do twice if I can avoid it.

Thanks,

I too have a old window mechanism (71). Looking for concensus on what is the correct adhesive to use to fasten the front metal guide to the glass. thistothat.com recommends JB Weld or a Locktite product. What about the other rewcommendations made in this thread. How are they holding up? Anybody else use JB Weld?

Also, for same setup, where does the metal guide acually sit on the window? How far up from the bottom or how far down from the top does the guide sit. I can look at the passenger side for reference, but I don't know if that one is sitting in the right position either biggrin.gif Any ideas?
76-914
Surprised no one mentioned plain old silicone. Glass to glass or glass to anything.
McMark
The same stuff people glue windshields in with. Urethane
BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(McMark @ May 16 2012, 09:25 AM) *

The same stuff people glue windshields in with. Urethane

Would Gorilla Glue do the job then? It does state that it will glue metal and glass.
TheCabinetmaker
Urethane. You can buy a product called Vulchem. 100% pure urethane. Its what windshield shops, and commercial glass and mirror installers use. Its also available at most body shop supply places.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(aircooledboy @ Jul 18 2005, 08:02 AM) *

Mr. Hand

<!-- emo&:woohoo: -->IPB Image<!-- endemo --> <!-- emo&:lol: -->IPB Image<!-- endemo -->

The only proper adhesive for attaching a window glass to an "appliance" (i.e. anything that holds the window to the regulatoror or guides the window to the right spot) is urethane. Butyl wont hold up to movement, particularly when it gets warm, and rear view mirror tab adhesive is only suited for exactly that purpose.

Clean the glass and prime the metal, you will have a nearly indestructable bond. Oh, and don't get it on anything you don't want it on. Stuff is wicked. The only thing that cleans it up worth a damn is enamel reducer, which is fairly evil stuff in its own right. <!-- emo&:beer2: -->IPB Image<!-- endemo -->

As is often the case here, they just make shit up. I agree, and so would every glass guy with half a clue, URETHANE is the ONLY thing that works properly.

The Cap'n
ape914
silicone rtv works fine. No shit.
BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 16 2012, 12:01 PM) *

QUOTE(aircooledboy @ Jul 18 2005, 08:02 AM) *

Mr. Hand

<!-- emo&:woohoo: -->IPB Image<!-- endemo --> <!-- emo&:lol: -->IPB Image<!-- endemo -->

Clean the glass and prime the metal, you will have a nearly indestructable bond. Oh, and don't get it on anything you don't want it on. Stuff is wicked. The only thing that cleans it up worth a damn is enamel reducer, which is fairly evil stuff in its own right. <!-- emo&:beer2: -->IPB Image<!-- endemo -->

As is often the case here, they just make shit up. I agree, and so would every glass guy with half a clue, URETHANE is the ONLY thing that works properly.

The Cap'n

Hello Cap'n!

Thanks for the vote. Urethane it is!

Any thoughts on where exactly the metal guide should sit on the window?

Thanks!
914itis
Edit wrong thread
BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(tommy914 @ Jul 19 2005, 02:52 PM) *

I used 3M super weatherstrip adhesive on mine.

If you apply a thin layer to the metal and the glass, then let it dry, then put the pieces together it works great.

It also removes easily with the usual solvents in case you line up the metal piece incorrectly the first time... like I did.

Clean up all the rollers etc... real good so there is no binding when the window goes up and down.

Anybody know where the metal window guide sits on the glass (for old style mechanism). I'm ready to glue the darn thing. There's got to be a dimension associated with this!
914werke
Slight hijacked.gif I just had my Pass window fail like this as well, but mine is a late regulator (74).
On the later style the glass is glued into a rubber U channel which is in turn glued (?) into the regulator guide.
Cleaning that Guide it looks like they used Butyl to secure the rubber wrapped glass edge into the Guide confused24.gif
If the glass is adjusted properly there should never be so much stiction to cause the galss to pull out of the assembly? idea.gif
charliew
I haven't looked at my 914 but all the american cars used a asphalt looking tape the was wrapped on the glass edge and pressed into a channel. A lot of times the channel would rust out and loose it's tension on the glass. My local auto glass shop would stock the new metal channel that you had to cut the roller brackets off the old piece and weld them to the new piece. If all the metal is good I would glue it back with urethane. As a replacement urethane you could use NP1, it's a industrial caulk and sealer and is really good stuff.

The auto glass guy went to a class to learn how to use the urethane stuff he uses. I think his process uses a glass primer and all the stuff is a system like ppg paints.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.