Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's it worth
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
adolimpio
I'm replacing the engine in my 914 with the original, number matching engine. The current engine is a 2.0 that runs extremely well and plan on selling it, but I need some help to determine what it’s worth.

Some background: I found the car in a barn in Salem Or in Nov 2015 where a restoration had been started but nothing had been done in 9 years. Almost every mechanical part had been replaced, or had new replacements waiting in boxes. This 2.0 engine was in the car but none of the FI or electrical systems had been connected, so obviously it had never been started. The engine was immaculate, but I have no idea what it’s history is. I don’t know if it had been rebuilt or whether its components are stock. I packed the car on a trailer, with many boxes of parts and the original engine and drove it back to SC.

I cleaned the gas tank, changed the oil, checked the valves, connected all of the FI parts, installed a new battery and it started right up and has been running perfectly ever since. I almost feel stupid for messing with it! Since that time I put about 5,000 miles on it, but I can’t say for sure since the odometer did not work for the first year or so.

# GA004291
Compression: Cyl-1: 138psi, Cyl-2: 134psi, Cyl-3: 148psi, Cyl-4 142psi
Leak-down: Cyl-1: 28%, Cyl-2: 30%, Cyl-3: 25%, Cyl-4 28%
No oil leaks

Includes all FI components, except MPS, injectors and thermostat bellows

Engine will be in the car for another month or two, so it’s available for a test drive.

So, what’s it worth??

Thank you in advance for your help!

BillJ
quick question and you probably already worked this through - do you know if the original engine is rebuildable? Would be a bummer to get rid of a good running engine for one that is potentially a boat anchor....
adolimpio
Original is already done, and ready to go in.

2056, Raby 9550 Cam Kit, H-Beam rods, JE pistons, biral lined cylinders, Hoffman heads, etc.
BillJ
OOOH sounds great!
adolimpio
But you have a REALLY good point.

Although I was pretty careful, and this is the 3rd engine I've built and the other 2 were successful, there is no denying that I am a amateur. I'd feel pretty silly if I sold this, and the new engine was a bust, and I ended up with a 914 planter.

I'll probably wait to list it until I know that the new engine works properly!
bdstone914
I would say $2500 - $3500.
BillJ
Maybe a good idea. I was thinking $3500 as well btw.
rgalla9146
[quote name='rgalla9146' date='Jan 24 2021, 08:48 AM' post='2885283']
[quote name='bdstone914' date='Jan 23 2021, 05:03 PM' post='2885142']
Some guys (me) extend a hose off the oil pressure port near the heads and run a split - For temp and pressure.

I would never use anything in a Porsche besides VDO.
My .2
[/quote]

Where exactly is the pressure port? Is that a better location than the taco plate?
[/quote]

You will not get good readings from any extrnded hose. They will read low. The VDO gauges used in VW Cabriolet's have a 10mm thread and can be fitted to the oil plate in the sump.
[/quote]

^^^ agree.gif temp sender has to be immersed in sump.
Pressure sender can be extended away
[/quote]

What were the conditions when the leak down was done ? Is there a decimal point missing ?
adolimpio
Leak down was done with a Harbor Freight tester, waiting for 5 minutes after starting test before recording reading.
justme
Might be interested. I'll be down in Pendleton this week and back in Feb with my truck:)
adolimpio
QUOTE(justme @ Jan 25 2021, 09:25 PM) *

Might be interested. I'll be down in Pendleton this week and back in Feb with my truck:)

Happy to get together for a test drive. Let me know when you're in the area.
JeffBowlsby
A good MPS and injectors can be 700-1000, why not include these so it’s plug n play?
adolimpio
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jan 25 2021, 11:12 PM) *

A good MPS and injectors can be 700-1000, why not include these so it’s plug n play?

I need them for the replacement engine.

I thought it was better to omit them because someone may already have access to them, rather than buying them myself to make it plug and play.

I do have a good 1.7 MPS and injectors, if that would help.
adolimpio
Thanks!
930cabman
QUOTE(BillJ @ Jan 25 2021, 08:44 AM) *

quick question and you probably already worked this through - do you know if the original engine is rebuildable? Would be a bummer to get rid of a good running engine for one that is potentially a boat anchor....

Very true, I recently bought a 2.0 off Ebay sight unseen, but in "useable" condition. It may end up, being a boat anchor, hoping to salvage the crank and rods at minimum.

Buyer beware
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.