Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.2 blower/fan fit in conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mitox
I didn’t want to highjack the engine sale thread, but I am borrowing one of the pics.

I have ‘88 3.2 engine for my conversion, but it didn’t come with duct and fan as shown in the pic below. I’ve been considering buying the setup, but now I wonder if it will fit under the engine lid.

Can anyone tell me if it will fit, or if there is a better fan setup to use for the heat exchangers?

Thanks for any help.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
It doesn’t fit ( at least well). I would “backdate” your heat. Then you just use the engine fan to move the hot air from the heat exchangers. It’s common to do in the 911 world, is very effective, cleans up the engine bay and even saves some weight from not using the blower fan.
Cairo94507
Ditto. beerchug.gif
Steve
That’s a nice feature of the 3.2. The early side heat pieces bolt right onto the fan enclosure for use with 914-6 or after market (mb911) heat exchangers.
mepstein
I even backdated the heat on my stock 1.7 car and it worked great. Tons of heat in a small cabin area.
Mitox
thanks for the pic and the link. It does look better this way.
Mitox
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 25 2021, 04:04 PM) *

I even backdated the heat on my stock 1.7 car and it worked great. Tons of heat in a small cabin area.

Thanks, I was curious if this would work: seems like it does and is the best path.
Mitox
QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 25 2021, 03:56 PM) *

That’s a nice feature of the 3.2. The early side heat pieces bolt right onto the fan enclosure for use with 914-6 or after market (mb911) heat exchangers.

Thanks, and I do have Ben’s HE’s. Glad I asked before buying parts
jim912928
I did it. Used the 3.2 motor and if I remember correctly all I did was shave the lip down....this allowed it to clear the engine lid.

Click to view attachment
Steve
I also got it to work with the stock blower, but its a lot cleaner to use early parts. A 911 engine in a 914 does not need an extra fan.
Here are some pictures from my blog
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?aut...ach&id=1704
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?aut...ch&id=12943
Shivers
I try to learn something every day...This is a good one. I've been stressing where that darn blower was, and how I could hide it in the engine compartment. Thanks
mepstein
There's a couple threads on pelican about backdating heat.
Mitox
QUOTE(Shivers @ Jan 26 2021, 10:17 AM) *

I try to learn something every day...This is a good one. I've been stressing where that darn blower was, and how I could hide it in the engine compartment. Thanks

Yeah, it’s great everyone here is willing to share their experience and knowledge. I for one, have benefitted; hope I can help others as well.

I was a little worried when I cut the old fan mount off - looks like it’s OK, I’m going with the backdate
Mitox
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 26 2021, 10:32 AM) *

There's a couple threads on pelican about backdating heat.

Thanks, I’ll search them out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.