Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dual CHT Gauge?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BillJ
When I had a track car many years ago it had a dual CHT gauge that was very nice for detecting unequal heating on each bank. Definitely want to add this to my current car once the 2056 goes in. I cannot for the life of me find one that is both Fahrenheit and a good match for the other indicators in cabin. Anyone have one they use and recommend?
VaccaRabite
I have a NOS aircraft CHT that was made for aircraft aircooled engines that will display all 4 cylinders. There was a group buy for them years ago and I never ended up installing it.

My personal feeling is that so long as you are tracking Cyl 3, you are fine. If any of your heads are hotter then #3, you have a serious problem.

Zach
jim_hoyland
See : https://www.aircraftspruce.com/categories/a..._aerologic.html
BillJ
I like the idea of tracking all the cylinders. Is that analog or digital? I would prefer analog just so to keep it period looking. Where does it take the reading and how does the probe route?
FlacaProductions
More specifically - go here and you'll find analog versions:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/categories/a.../chtgauges.html
BillJ
Thanks for the links. On the engine side of things how do you all install the sensors? Are they different than what is listed for this aircraft application?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(BillJ @ Jan 26 2021, 04:04 PM) *

Thanks for the links. On the engine side of things how do you all install the sensors? Are they different than what is listed for this aircraft application?

Thats easy. The sensors all have big ring terminals on them that go under the spark plugs.

You remove the washer from the plug, put the sender ring on there, and thread the plugs back in. You may need to grind the heads a little to carve a channel for the wire under the plug to come out of the heads. Pretty easy.

Zach
FlacaProductions
I think you want a 14mm terminal to fit under the plug(s)
BillJ
Awesome. Despite some of the gauge descriptions talking about 2 stroke engines that is immaterial I take it? Temp is temp, right?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jan 26 2021, 02:59 PM) *

More specifically - go here and you'll find analog versions:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/categories/a.../chtgauges.html

nice but at either $600 or $900 i can think of a lot better ways to spend that $$ on my 914, wow those are a lot of dough!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jan 27 2021, 07:59 PM) *

QUOTE(BillJ @ Jan 26 2021, 04:04 PM) *

Thats easy. The sensors all have big ring terminals on them that go under the spark plugs.

You remove the washer from the plug, put the sender ring on there, and thread the plugs back in. You may need to grind the heads a little to carve a channel for the wire under the plug to come out of the heads. Pretty easy.

Zach

Well not that easy, you often have to R&R the engine to clear the head for the thermocouple and trying to install it without this clearance could ruin the thermocouple.
BillJ
Well now would be the right time then seeing as the engine is out. I agree the digital guages are too pricey but the analogs are right around $100 so really not bad. Would need to extend the leads of course quite a bit but that isn't hard.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(BillJ @ Jan 28 2021, 08:28 AM) *

Would need to extend the leads of course quite a bit but that isn't hard.

Not that easy again, you can't just cut and splice in wire, I forget the technicial reason but it has to do with calibration. You have to buy their wire extention kit for that gauge.
Do a search this has been covered before, the above came straight from the manufacturer IIRC.
BillJ
Thanks for keeping me honest Mark! I did mean the extension kit they offer.
horizontally-opposed
That moment when you realize you love that digital gauge that allows easy reading of all six heads… wub.gif

…but don't want a digital gauge in your vintage car. dry.gif

Some of the analog options are plainly gorgeous design, particularly those that look like they're out of old British aircraft.

Interesting idea, watching both banks. I had a CHT gauge set up for my 914 years ago, but got the sense it isn't as important in a six as it was with my old Type IV.
Mark Henry
I honestly don't agree with one for each head CHT or O2 WB, it's TMI when your head is suppose to be up and in the game.
Just use one CHT on #3 for T4.
Root_Werks
https://iflyei.com/product/ubg-16-ultimate-bar-graph/

Agree with what others have said, as long as you keep tabs on cyl-3, should be okay.
BillJ
When i was running the 6 cylinder was helpful to make sure the temps were consistent on each bank with the carbs. In this instance with a -4 and running stock FI maybe a single is alright.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.