Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bolts vs nuts/studs on valve covers on my six
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jhynesrockmtn
My GT Tribute with the 2L six is out of the car for some maintenance. Most of the studs on the lower valve covers have been removed and replaced with bolts. I think there are 3 or 4 still with studs/nuts. I'll be doing some vintage races and DE's with the car. Should I just go with bolts on the lowers so I can safety wire them and remove the few studs that are currently there? My engine is a 914-6 motor with the 6 hole upper and lower valve covers.

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
I wouldn't want to spin bolts so frequently in and out of such soft material. Probably a reason the factory uses studs.
mepstein
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jan 26 2021, 10:54 AM) *

I wouldn't want to spin bolts so frequently in and out of such soft material. Probably a reason the factory uses studs.

Exactly.
aturboman
To quote from the famous Carroll Smith book Engineer To Win

"A stud is an engineer's choice, a bolt is an accountant's choice"
mepstein
Almost everything on the engine that gets undone more than once is a stud. Makes sense.
jhynesrockmtn
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 26 2021, 08:58 AM) *

Almost everything on the engine that gets undone more than once is a stud. Makes sense.

Thanks for the info. I assume they used bolts on some of the holes for clearance with the intent to be able to do the valve adjustment while the engine is in the car? I'll be doing that engine out so as long as the covers will be able to be removed without messing with the exhaust it would work to re-install the studs. I'll take a closer look.
jd74914
If you really want safety wire you can always get drilled nuts specifically for the purpose. I would definitely use studs too.
mepstein
Many people, including myself, will surface the turbo valve covers ~5/16" for the extra clearance.
jhynesrockmtn
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 26 2021, 09:44 AM) *

Many people, including myself, will surface the turbo valve covers ~5/16" for the extra clearance.

I've seen some of the threads on that. Those turbo lowers are all 11 hole correct?

I've got so many things to do to resurrect this car I'm trying to pick my battles. It will be developed over time and I will continue to improve it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.