Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DIY: Dansk Fuel Tank Mod
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BillJ
When i got my new fuel tank from Dansk it turns out that the rib that runs along the top of the tank is too tall for the mounting strap and guide. This means that when you tighten it down it does a beautiful job of destroying your plastic guide.
BillJ
A fix is trim off some of the material under the guide but before you hit the weld. Start by marking where the ends of the plastic guide land then taking the tank out.
Click to view attachment
You should also replace the fuel filter screen that sits inside the tank if you havent already. I hadnt yet and bought a new one prior to putting fuel in the new tank. It was really brittle.and rusty. It tore to pieces taking it off.
aturboman
Had the same experience with my Dansk tank.
Since the car getting the repro tank isn’t concourse I shimmed the strap bridge with a couple thick pieces of flat rubber pad on each side to raise it enough to clear the taller seam. It’s hardly seen when installed. I did this because I already had my tank and everything else installed and painted and didn’t want to cut metal.
BillJ
Next, using a cutting wheel in my case, carefully remove about 10mm or so of material off the rib. Just go slow. Click to view attachment
Once complete paint the exposed metal to prevent rust. Your car has enough already from the factory biggrin.gif

Then reassemble and take care to put the hoses back properly. I marked mine to make sure i did that right. Always use fuel line clamps. This is fuel.
Click to view attachment

Install tank and enjoy a secure fuel tank. Hope this helps people to tackle this easy project. For me the growing amount of junk inside the old tank made this new tank a no brainer compared to hours of cleaning, sealing, and hoping it worked with the old tank.
BillJ
I will say you could probably do this with the tank still installed. I am just a chicken when it comes to fuel and hot sparks and metal. Also please note this is not intended to suggest YOU do this, just to illustrate how I did it.
914Sixer
What about gluing some rubber pads on to the plastic mount on both sides?
Piece of factory style carpet?
raynekat
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 27 2021, 06:08 PM) *

What about gluing some rubber pads on to the plastic mount on both sides?
Piece of factory style carpet?

Always a couple of ways to "skin a cat."
I think that would work as well, and a bit simpler to execute.
BillJ
Of course if you do this to the tank when you first get it then you are just triming the rib and installing. Just showing an option and helping inform.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.