Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru H6 Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nada911
Im finishing up the wiring part of my 2002 H6 conversion with 2002 WRX manual transmission. Ive been trying to figure out the VSS and neutral switch wiring. I have seen some diagrams on the site, but not entirely clear and I want to be correct. My VSS sensor at the tranny has a Green, Brown and White wire (looking in the plug left to right). My understanding is Green= signal, Brown=ground, white= 12v switched. I also believe the green gets tied into a reduced 5v switched signal and then to the ECU (pin 134-1) is this correct?
Also, hoping for some clarification on the neutral switch wiring. Not overly concerned about running an alarm starter interrupt or clutch pedal switch unless necessary. Really appreciate any help. Thanks
914forme
@Amenson I know you tackled the VSS
76-914
There are 2 ways to do this depending upon which switch you use on the tranny. The stock one (which is N/O) is wired to 2 points on the ECU. I'll need to look at the one I'm doing now because I haven't committed that to memory. Or you can use the NC switch and wire it in series with a relay to the starter solenoid. Regardless the ECU, in it's stock configuration, need to see a signal from the VSS. Steve, you're better off posting these Subaru related questions at "Watered Down 914's" or "Subaru Powered Porsche's" on Facebook. Not much interest here. I'll be back on the '70 this week and will send you the the 2 pin outs you're looking for. PM me your email and I'll send you the complete pin outs for your ECU. Kent beerchug.gif
Chris914n6
On my Nissan, different but sometimes not, the VSS goes to the Speedo, gets processed, then to the ECU.

The neutral switch just disabled the starter relay, and I wired mine in gear as the ecu reduces power when not engaged. Also the ECU likes to see the start signal to bump the fuel input for starting.
nada911
Thanks for the input. I'm running a GPS speedo, but knowing to incorporate the starter so the ECU bumps the fuel is great info. Any wiring diagrams appreciated. I will check out those other forums you mention Kent. Thanks for always being such great resource
Amenson
Here are the WRX VSS and VSS to WRX ecu wiring.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here is a link to all of the WRX factory manuals. Not sure what your H6 is out of but if it is not covered by one of these you should be able to find a digital version of your donor car. Subaru's wiring diagrams are pretty easy to figure out.

WRX Factory Manuals

nada911
Thanks for the confirmation on the wires for the VSS on the WRX.
Amenson
QUOTE(nada911 @ Jan 27 2021, 10:47 PM) *

I hadn't ever considered the interaction of the neutral safety switch so I looked into it a bit last night. iWire has a write-up on it.

Neutral Switch

For swap information they have a lot of really great details on their website and are the go to for easily finding Subaru harness components.
nada911
QUOTE(Amenson @ Jan 28 2021, 08:01 AM) *

I hadn't ever considered the interaction of the neutral safety switch so I looked into it a bit last night. iWire has a write-up on it.

Neutral Switch

For swap information they have a lot of really great details on their website and are the go to for easily finding Subaru harness components.

Yes, I actually spoke to them last week. Very nice people. They told me they don't offer any neutral switch/ VSS wiring anymore for the pre-canbus ez30d because they can't stand behind them and make everything work like factory (i.e. ez30d never came with manual trans) short of a stand alone ECU. They did recognize that they thought some people had solved the problem and referred me to some Subaru based blogs. However, most of what I found were Subaru to Subaru swaps and other non drive train issues that do not relate to Suby/914 conversions. Either way as Kent at 76-914 had put on his thread, switch to a NC neutral switch allows for an easier wiring solution with a relay. Just hoping for a diagram on how to incorporate that with the VSS and confirm the pin outs. I think they are 134-1 and 135-8 respectively. I appreciate your input!
Amenson
QUOTE(nada911 @ Jan 28 2021, 09:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Amenson @ Jan 28 2021, 08:01 AM) *

Neutral Switch

Yes, I actually spoke to them last week. Very nice people. They told me they don't offer any neutral switch/ VSS wiring anymore for the pre-canbus ez30d because they can't stand behind them and make everything work like factory (i.e. ez30d never came with manual trans) short of a stand alone ECU. They did recognize that they thought some people had solved the problem and referred me to some Subaru based blogs. However, most of what I found were Subaru to Subaru swaps and other non drive train issues that do not relate to Suby/914 conversions. Either way as Kent at 76-914 had put on his thread, switch to a NC neutral switch allows for an easier wiring solution with a relay. Just hoping for a diagram on how to incorporate that with the VSS and confirm the pin outs. I think they are 134-1 and 135-8 respectively. I appreciate your input!

Post some pictures of your project for us to enjoy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.