Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vin search help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Harbison
Long story short, my dad had a 74 and crashed it in76, fond memories but too short. Have been searching for years for an affordable project. Found one but too good to be true, no rust, clean interior but no title..... for some reason I can’t do a search due to web searches require 17 digit. Any one out there able to look it up? Vin 4732911043 current owner said does not know where title is.
preach
Not in the 914World database. You should put it in there though. Top of this forum.

A local police officer can run the VIN for you to see if it is stolen.

I do not know how your state handles cars this old. Mine, NH, does not title cars after so many years.

I would think that at worst you would have to apply for a title if your state requires them.

Here is the link to the database:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=membervins

welcome.png
flat4guy
In Calif you can go to the DMV and just fill out a lost title form, pretty easy especially if it is out of the system.
Unobtanium-inc
New Jersey tends to be a hard ass when it comes to simple stuff like a lost title. I would use one of the title service like Broadway title. Start fresh.
I know a guy in Jersey who was given a 356 by his uncle, no title, it took him years to get a title, about drove him crazy.
Harbison
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jan 26 2021, 10:16 PM) *

New Jersey tends to be a hard ass when it comes to simple stuff like a lost title. I would use one of the title service like Broadway title. Start fresh.
I know a guy in Jersey who was given a 356 by his uncle, no title, it took him years to get a title, about drove him crazy.

New jersey is radicicolous, good thing is older cars no longer need inspection- the DMV has shut down a few locations, and have to make an appointment for any title related thing or use mail- we have police officers in the family didn't want them to bother but ill reach out - the 10 digit vin is not accepted with those car fax type places. ill figure it out but hope the car is still there and or realized he is selling it way to low.
930cabman
I am in New York and in the same situation. Got the rusted hulk for free with no papers. There must be a way around/over/through this. I am dreading interacting with DMV, meanwhile the project is forging ahead.
brant
Colorado titles are a mess also
If that was a colorado situation, you would have to have a professional licensed appraiser tell the state the value (high) and then you would have to purchase an insurance bond for that amount. you would have to trailer the shell to a state patrol inspection (hours away from where I live) and the process would take a couple of months and cost a couple of thousand dollars.

brant
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 27 2021, 08:11 AM) *

I am in New York and in the same situation. Got the rusted hulk for free with no papers. There must be a way around/over/through this. I am dreading interacting with DMV, meanwhile the project is forging ahead.

best advice on any project is to deal with the title first... before you invest any money what so ever...

I've been through this with motorcycle titles... you end up with a running bike that isn't legal and has only parts value (can't be sold)

you really want to have a title before you turn a wrench
brant
mb911
Just did a vermont title on my car as didnt get a title with my car. Just a bill of sale. Worked perfectly. Did cost a bit more but legit. I would negotiate that into the price. VT costs anywhere from 6-1200 for a 924 as they go off NADA values.
flyer86d
NJ is an absolute pain in the ass about titles. My Uncle bought a 62 T6B coupe project without a title from a friend in Massachusetts and spent 5 years trying to get a NJ title for it. Finally, I registered it in Vermont for him, he drove it for a year with the green plates and the on the anniversary took his registration down to his friendly local NJ DMV and they issued him plates, registration and a title. Easy.

Charlie
930cabman
I just so happen to have a pal with DMV who I might be able to ........ bribe? or maybe not bribe, but remember the scene from the Eddie Murphy movie with Sidney Bernstein? something like that
Harbison
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 27 2021, 02:46 PM) *

I just so happen to have a pal with DMV who I might be able to ........ bribe? or maybe not bribe, but remember the scene from the Eddie Murphy movie with Sidney Bernstein? something like that

I'm backing away from the sale i think too many unknowns - under $3,800 for a no rust finished interior good paint good engine 48,000 original miles (bad fuel pump) wont say where he got it from. not even a BS story
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2...essenger_banner here is the link to market place add if any one else wants a stab at it with no title
if your buddy finds it not stolen im heading down with a trailer tonight - i think he found another buyer
930cabman
QUOTE(Harbison @ Jan 27 2021, 02:58 PM) *

I'm backing away from the sale i think too many unknowns - under $3,800 for a no rust finished interior good paint good engine 48,000 original miles (bad fuel pump) wont say where he got it from. not even a BS story
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2...essenger_banner here is the link to market place add if any one else wants a stab at it with no title
if your buddy finds it not stolen im heading down with a trailer tonight - i think he found another buyer

Could be the buy of the year, or could be the MIGRANE of the decade. In my case there was no $$ transfer, but I have a few thou into it at this point. Still keeping my fingers crossed, but not too worried about it. I did nothing illegal (that I know of)

Harbison
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 27 2021, 03:13 PM) *

Could be the buy of the year, or could be the MIGRANE of the decade. In my case there was no $$ transfer, but I have a few thou into it at this point. Still keeping my fingers crossed, but not too worried about it. I did nothing illegal (that I know of)

piratenanner.gif where is the thumbs up on the site!!! fingers crossed.
Harbison
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 27 2021, 03:13 PM) *

AND SOLD !!!!! to some lucky bastard smile.gif - or unlucky time will tell.
930cabman
I would have bought it and rolled the dice
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 27 2021, 07:11 AM) *

In NY if it's older than 74 you can buy and sell on a Notorized Bill of Sale. So just get a bill of sale for the car. Then you insure it, then you can register it, which after 6 months give you a transferable registration. It's a lot of hoops, but it is do-able. I used to do this on cars I would buy. My allstate guy asked me one time why I had 15 Porsches on my policy.

mepstein
I registered 3 motorcycles in VT last year. It was super easy. Now I can transfer the registration to PA. Completely legal.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 27 2021, 05:48 PM) *

I registered 3 motorcycles in VT last year. It was super easy. Now I can transfer the registration to PA. Completely legal.

agree.gif

And surprised no one has responded to it. My buddy just did it with 4 motorcycles
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 27 2021, 08:52 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 27 2021, 05:48 PM) *

agree.gif

And surprised no one has responded to it. My buddy just did it with 4 motorcycles

What makes VT so nice is you don't have to be a resident to register a car.

The crazy part about it was when a woman at the VT DMV called me to clarify something and she was super nice on the phone. I grew up in NJ so you expect the total opposite. Nobody ever answers the phone and you feel lucky if all you get is an angry scowl when you go in person.
73-914
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jan 27 2021, 08:36 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 27 2021, 07:11 AM) *

In NY if it's older than 74 you can buy and sell on a Notorized Bill of Sale. So just get a bill of sale for the car. Then you insure it, then you can register it, which after 6 months give you a transferable registration. It's a lot of hoops, but it is do-able. I used to do this on cars I would buy. My allstate guy asked me one time why I had 15 Porsches on my policy.

1973 has title,1972 have transferable reg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.