Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering U-joint repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bf**123
I have a 73 2.0 and having to replace both the upper and lower steering bearings. I noticed the both of the steering U-joints and have lots of rust. Would like to know if you can take apart the u-joint and blast the metal to remove the rust, then put it back together. Is it possible or better just to buy recondition parts. Thanks
iankarr
QUOTE(bf**123 @ Jan 27 2021, 02:47 PM) *

I have a 73 2.0 and having to replace both the upper and lower steering bearings. I noticed the both of the steering U-joints and have lots of rust. Would like to know if you can take apart the u-joint and blast the metal to remove the rust, then put it back together. Is it possible or better just to buy recondition parts. Thanks

If it were me...for anything more than surface rust, I'd by reconditioned, solid parts. The steering system endures lots of forces and no sense tempting fate.
9146C
Unfortunately, (and to the best of my knowledge), the URO replacement part is no longer available.

I had one u-joint that didn't feel smooth...found a good, used one via eBay.
mepstein
They are sold new at many auto supply places and probably ebay and amazon.
I purchased some for my JWest shift linkage kit.

I have cleaned old ones and sent them for plating and they came out nice.
bdstone914
QUOTE(bf**123 @ Jan 27 2021, 01:47 PM) *

@bf**123

Soak them in Evaporust for a day or two. Spray with a lube spray and flex them. I have only had one or two out of twenty that
could not be saved.

If you do replace them make sure they are the same lenght as the originals. There are early ones that are longer and can bind up unless the shaft is shortened.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.